Dropbox Gives The Axe To Public Folders

If sources are to be believed, June 31 might be the last date for Dropbox Public Folders. According to Dropbox forum, it is averred that Dropbox has e-mailed developers notifying them of this change which would hold for new accounts come July 1st.

New accounts which are created after June 31st would not include the Public Folder sharing feature. Though it has been maintained in the e-mail that existing accounts wouldn't be affected by the decision, and Public Folders would continue to function as normal for them.
#-Link-Snipped-#
Public folders are expected to pave the way for "Get Link" feature which was introduced by the company this April. This can be done by right-clicking on a folder or a file and choosing the "Get Link" option. This would, as a result, create a link for the information you want to share which would be available to Dropbox and non-Dropbox users alike.

Dropbox believes that this new feature has more potential and offers a more generalized and scalable way to support functions originally supported by Public folders. Though most developers seem to be unhappy with the arrangement. More information can be found at the #-Link-Snipped-#.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-# Image Credit: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Have you ever thought - How I wish I can reconfigure the camera in my phone? Normally you can’t do it. The digital imaging subsystem is typically enclosed within the...
A group of researchers from University of Liverpool, Cranfield University, and University of Salford have come up with an ‘energy harvester’, capable of powering a number of wearable devices like...
iOS 6 is being called the incremental update to its predecessor - iOS 5. That’s because it offers “improved functionality without wholesale changes compared previous iterations”. Most of the features...
Well, we already know A.L.I.C.E. and it seems like she's finally going to Wonderland. According to a new study, Artificial Intelligence might be capable to assist our understanding of the...
Mozilla Junior is the web browser for iPad that aims to restore the fun in browsing by making it more ergonomic and rethinking the browser design from scratch. Mozilla says...