An entreprenuer: Manny Villar

During my 2nd year as an engineering student, our teacher asked us to report about the candidates for president in Philippines. Our group was given the task to report about Manny Villar. I learned a lot about his life on how he becomes one of the richest and famous person in Philippines. I just want to share it to you some thing about him.

He is not only good in politics and but also a good entrepreneur. He is the second child of Manuel Montalban Villar Sr., a government employee and Curita Bamba, a seafood dealer.
He learned from her mother of what it takes to be an entrepreneur. "And it means working really hard to achieve your dreams." Wandering in Divisoria during his childhood makes him a better entrepreneur.
Hard work, persistence and perseverance became a guiding principles in his life. That is why he earned the title “MR.SIPG AT TIYAGA”. He inspires many Filipinos with his life story and encourages each Filipino that poverty is not a hindrance to fulfill your dreams and improve your quality of living.
At the University of the Philippines, a premier institution of higher learning in the country, he was a working student. He obtained his undergraduate and master's degree in business administration and accountancy in that school also. He spends a long time as fish and shrimp vendor while studying in that college which he starts early in the morning
After graduation, he tried to be an accountant at the country's biggest accounting firm, Sycip Gorres Velayo & Co. (SGV & Co). At a very short time, he resigned to start-up on his own seafood delivery business.
He worked not that long as a financial analyst at the Private Development Corporation of the Philippines where he sells World Bank loans, despite the attractive rates of which there were no takers. Again, he resigns and makes it on his own again.
During 1975, Villar with a capital of 10000pesos, bought two reconditioned trucks and started his sand-and-gravel business in Las Piñas. In this business, he came up to an idea of the idea of selling house and lot packages for homeowners to buy lots and build on them. He then became the housing industry leader, and the biggest home-builder in Southeast Asia, having built more than 100,000 houses for the poor and middle class Filipino families.
For his business achievements, he was made cover story in the Far Eastern Economic Review. And his life story was featured in Asiaweek, Forbes, AsiaMoney and Asian Business Review.

Replies

• raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Re: An entreprenuer

Very inspiring
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Very inspiring story 😀 !
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Thanks for the share! 😀
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    Villar group gets UN 'Water for Life' award
    MANILA, Philippines — The United Nations Office to Support the International Decade for Action “Water for Life” 2005-2015 has awarded a Philippine foundation in one of the categories for the UN “Water for Life” Best Practices Award in a ceremony held Tuesday in Zaragoza, Spain.

The Villar Foundation’s Sagip Ilog program was chosen as having the “Best Water Management Practices” besting 38 other countries.

The award is given to organizations which substantially contributed to the improvement of the living environment on a sustainable basis, especially to the living conditions of the poorest and most disadvantaged groups; institutional frameworks and the sustainable management of water.

The foundation’s founding chairman Sen. Manny Villar and wife, former Las Piñas Representative Cynthia Villar, expressed gratitude for receiving the award. “This award is a testament to the foundation’s commitment not just to protect the environment, especially rivers and waterways but at the same time, provide livelihood to hundreds of poor Filipinos,” Senator Villar said.

The former congresswoman championed the program’s aim of addressing various environmental problems of the community in Las Piñas. “Sagip Ilog is more than just a river rehabilitation program. It is an integrated system accompanied with several livelihood projects. Through the years of involvement in community-building and the propagation of environmental projects, one major learning is that for the programs to be sustainable and successful, it should engage residents of the community, and the best way to get them involved is to allow them to earn livelihood from their efforts,” she said.

The Sagip Ilog program is aimed at cleaning up the Las Piñas-Zapote River and addressing the worsening flood problem, which had been attributed to accumulated garbage as well as proliferation of water hyacinths (commonly known as water lily) that clogged waterways. Over the years, it has evolved into various comprehensive green social enterprises such as the water hyacinth weaving, handloom blanket weaving and the coconut coir and peat enterprise. These green social enterprises encompass environment protection, waste management, livelihood opportunities, and even cultural promotion through the resulting products – such as handicrafts from water lilies and lanterns from bamboo.

The Sagip Ilog program has also received international recognition since 2006, bagging the “Best Practices Award for its Outstanding Contribution towards Improving the Living Environment” by the UN Humans Settlement Programme and the Dubai International Award. It was also awarded by the AOIKOD International Award for Social Enterprise from River Rehabilitation” and the “International Green Apple Award for Environmental Best Practice” presented by the Green Organization.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Very inspiring indeed. 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CBS is showcasing a viral video that's making all the buzz on the Internet at this time. A video shows UFO being spotted over a dome in Jerusalem - [video=youtube;DSZ2mSnaC44]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSZ2mSnaC44[/video]...
hi friends i came here with a new thread this is to share our most memorable incidents in our college life if it is funny or sad here mine its...
The Best RDBMS If we read term RDBMS ,then we found many options, that we can use It may include Mysql, postgre ,oracle, sql server etc............. At that time it...
my college is going to have techfest on 28th feb. For this event i need sposorship.I m supposed to bring sponsorship of around 3000-5000.our gathering will be medium.My question is-...
Sony Ericsson has many popular phones but the company is still struggling to be the brand of choice of mobile users. Xperia Neo is a phone that aspires to be...