AJAXifying the shoutbox

Hey Admins,

We have that conference / shoutbox in the home page of the forum. It is using a continuous refresh method, which is browser and bandwidth intensive. Why don't we think of using an AJAX Shoutbox, instead of refresh SB? We can move on to Web 2.0 Technologies na? ๐Ÿ˜›

Waiting for your approval to work on it... ๐Ÿ˜›

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    praveenscience
    Hey Admins,

We have that conference / shoutbox in the home page of the forum. It is using a continuous refresh method, which is browser and bandwidth intensive. Why don't we think of using an AJAX Shoutbox, instead of refresh SB? We can move on to Web 2.0 Technologies na? ๐Ÿ˜›

Waiting for your approval to work on it... ๐Ÿ˜›
    Not exactly sure what you're suggesting. Could you elaborate a bit more on it? The shoutbox is already AJAX powered and only the shoutbox window refreshes at a set interval.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    The_Big_K
    Not exactly sure what you're suggesting. Could you elaborate a bit more on it? The shoutbox is already AJAX powered and only the shoutbox window refreshes at a set interval.
    only the shoutbox window refreshes at a set interval - this is not AJAX! ๐Ÿ˜” Have you seen Facebook, GTalk chats?

Chuck it out... Will try to propose something, which is efficient than the current one. Lets see how it is working. Yeah, the current shoutbox uses AJAX only.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    praveenscience
    only the shoutbox window refreshes at a set interval - this is not AJAX! ๐Ÿ˜” Have you seen Facebook, GTalk chats?

Chuck it out... Will try to propose something, which is efficient than the current one. Lets see how it is working. Yeah, the current shoutbox uses AJAX only.
    I'm only trying to guess the improvements you're suggesting ๐Ÿ˜€ . Could you list out any specifics? Why not start this as a CE Labs project?
    The_Big_K
    I'm only trying to guess the improvements you're suggesting ๐Ÿ˜€ . Could you list out any specifics? Why not start this as a CE Labs project?
    Sure... ๐Ÿ˜€

A few stuff would be... Having the AJAX Request and Refresh in the background...
    Next one would be binding the keyCode==13 submit concept with the textbox. Right now it is using a form submit.
    I guess that's it... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's cool. Looking forward to it.
    Sure... Starting the coding from tomorrow... ๐Ÿ˜›
    Got one plugin working in vB... Do check this out Biggie... ๐Ÿ˜€
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Check the soutbox in full mode: #-Link-Snipped-#

PS: Looks good. Will consider in next major upgrade.
    The_Big_K
    Check the soutbox in full mode: #-Link-Snipped-#

PS: Looks good. Will consider in next major upgrade.
    I am using the chat in full mode only. But sounds? That's the main stuff... Plus, having the chat msg poput in all the page, without disturbing. Something like FB. We can achieve it using AJAX. There's already a script. May be I can work on it and implement for vB. What do you say?
  • josema229
    josema229
    Hi, I have to activate the sound is not the most important, one must take into account the quality of those who look on screen.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

INFI's Mohandas Pai has said that the good old days of wage increase are over and IT engineers shouldn't expect huge salary raises this year. The reason is that market...
I got introduced to Northeye construction project at Noida India via CB's post in Skyscrappers. I checked out the video on SUPERTECH: NORTH EYE and its impressive. Does anyone have...
Hi all, I wanted to discuss what similarities you find between various softwares like catia,mechanical,inventor,Gstar etc. I use or atleast have worked with PRO-E and Catia and I can tell...
hey friends, we are much bothered about having the experts here then why cant we use CE id in many official sites many are giving there gmail id's we CEans...
hi everyone, This is chetan. As many of you might know that, in 2015 UK government will be spending 75% on maintenance of old bridges and only 25% on building...