concrete bridge without reinforcement

hi everyone,
This is chetan.
As many of you might know that, in 2015 UK government will be spending 75% on maintenance of old bridges and only 25% on building new bridges, and this is because of rusting of steel.😡
So need of hour is to develop something like old masonry bridges made up of stones and bricks which are still in position, and having almost negligible maintenance cost as compared to steel and concrete bridges.
And in India we are building average 23 bridges everyday on highways.😲

I am researching on possibility of building bridge without any kind of reinforcement.
I mean bridge building just with concrete , NO RCC.😉

So just wanted to know if anyone is interested in same topic to research on, is most welcome, please do contact me on #-Link-Snipped-#

kind regards
chetan

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    chetanhero1
    hi everyone,
    This is chetan.
    As many of you might know that, in 2015 UK government will be spending 75% on maintenance of old bridges and only 25% on building new bridges, and this is because of rusting of steel.😡
    I am researching on possibility of building bridge without any kind of reinforcement.
    I mean bridge building just with concrete , NO RCC.😉

So just wanted to know if anyone is interested in same topic to research on, is most welcome, please do contact me on
    kind regards
    chetan
    It will be one of its like project.

What I think is you can try out some other material for reinforcement, without reinforcement making of bridges will be pretty much impossible to me.

Note: if you do not want to ruin your e-mail id than plz do not provide it in forums directly, its cherry to all spammers.

-CB
  • rajcivil2k6
    rajcivil2k6
    Interesting topic.

Bridge without steel, for that case any structure without steel would become huge in size and brittle.

So, steel has to be substituted with some new material, which would satisfy the conditions as steel does.

I have heard about glass reinforced concrete during College, it was still under study ( i don't remember the exact details).

All the very best for your work, in advance.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I think we may go for modifying the design of Bridge.To make it more stable.
  • Nikhil Gurav
    Nikhil Gurav
    Hey Hi Chetan,
    I'm Nikhil here. Ur idea is very good & interesting but dont u think for a bridge design concrete & steel are the best option & there is no other material to replace that...

I am totally agree with ur idea but have u make any progress in that way...???
    Do u have any substitute material in ur mind for steel...???

What u want to do exactly...???
  • Dun
    Dun
    I am also studying this closely- through practice. Theoretically it seems impossible, when one analyzes materials properties- but I am hopeful to find a way of building without a trace os steel.​
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    rajcivil2k6
    I have heard about glass reinforced concrete during College, it was still under study ( i don't remember the exact details).
    do you mean glass fibre reinforced concrete? because i've seen it applied in many sites.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, Our VoiCE authors have been contributing great articles, tips and knowledge on VoiCE -our official blog. I'm sure many of you are regular readers of VoiCE. It would be...
Just thought of creating a new thread here to showcase my project. Hope you will find it useful. Just an introduction here, Virtual 8085 is an interpreter for the 8085...
Guys, Let's suppose we have a RLC series circuit feeded by tension source initially with no energy stored. When we apply an unitary step of tension at t=0 at the...
If you are given a chance to change a single situation of you from the past. What situation would it be??? and why you choose that???
Hi Ceans, Here I am with another tutorial and as requested by goyal hope you guys get benefited by this.... NOTE: This tutorial is copyrighted to CE as its my...