A Cosmetic Change Made To Our Registration Page

I was going through the logs and found out that we're missing out on ~70 registrations per day because members did not enter correct email address during registration form. As a result, they never receive the account confirmation mail.

We already display a little notice that asks users to enter correct email ID in the email field. I made the notice text a little larger -

Screen Shot 2012-07-25 at 9.00.06 AM

Do you think this should suffice? Is there anything else we should do, for example - display a big notice at the top of registration form asking users to enter correct email and then activate their accounts by clicking on account activation links?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Would really appreciate a quick feedback, folks. Please be more expressive 😁
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Its good to get user attention to enter correct mail ID.
    I have a question:
    What is happening when user logging on CE without activation? (I didn't faced it)
    you can restrict them from login and ask them to verify them email address and since they have entered correct username/password you can show them their mail id to verify first and allow them to change email address if they feel it was wrong.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Those who login without activating their account, are shown a big notice in the header where they can request for activation link again. They can't post in the forum though.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Guys, does it look ok to you?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    It's fine for me and specially this Red Color notice surely going to be effective for entering correct Mail ID.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    How about "Confirm Email" field added to the registration form just like the "Confirm Password" field? πŸ˜€
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Dancer_Engineer
    How about "Confirm Email" field added to the registration form just like the "Confirm Password" field? πŸ˜€
    that's also good idea, but in this case disable copy-paste/drag & drop in re-enter email field other wise people will copy and paste from email field . I always do thisπŸ˜‰
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    But what if a member enters the wrong email address in both the fields. 😳
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    We already display a little notice that asks users to enter correct email ID in the email field. I made the notice text a little larger -

Screen Shot 2012-07-25 at 9.00.06 AM

Do you think this should suffice? Is there anything else we should do, for example - display a big notice at the top of registration form asking users to enter correct email and then activate their accounts by clicking on account activation links?
    Some of the forms ask the user to confirm email ID in one more box below as a gentle(?) nudge to verify what thay have entered. Almost all technical marketing sites use this.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Our earlier system had that feature, but people were scared to see longer forms to fill. So we cut down on fields which were not necessary. The registration rate on the site currently is all time high; but the number of people not activating their accounts is large as well. I think we'll test how the cosmetic change performs for a few days and decide whether to add new field.

On a related note, I'm a little frustrated to see third year computer engineering students unable to figure out how to post. Since morning, about 5 people have 'reported' the post and composed their responses in it, ~3 have initiated a private conversation with me asking for project ideas, and at least 5 have mentioned their project requirements saying "hiiii" in the subject line, asking question in the poll and then flooding the post area with some garbage. πŸ˜” Anyway. Sorry for off topic post.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    On a related note, I'm a little frustrated to see third year computer engineering students unable to figure out how to post. Since morning, about 5 people have 'reported' the post and composed their responses in it, ~3 have initiated a private conversation with me asking for project ideas, and at least 5 have mentioned their project requirements saying "hiiii" in the subject line, asking question in the poll and then flooding the post area with some garbage. πŸ˜” Anyway. Sorry for off topic post.
    It is curious that the same idea crossed my mind and I thought of setting up a debate topic on this just a few minutes back. However, an earlier attempt of mine was taken personally by so many that I shied off.
    It is taken as given that all engineers are poor communicators (an unwarranted slur). This sort of thing only bolsters that view.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's another issue you see. It's difficult to have graceful debates, discussions online. People tend to take things personally. We don't ask for registration and offer our content free to everyone who visits. Those who join are the ones who 'decided' to join. There's no reason for them to enter incorrect email ID.

Yesterday, a final year guy met me personally and asked for project idea 😳. I asked him to check our project ideas section to which replied with : "It's so complicated that I don't understand anything". πŸ˜• I don't know what can be simpler than what we have. Then I tell myself that we really don't need guys who don't 'get it'. Let's be happy with the growth rate we have.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Thadaastu, Amen, So be it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The upcoming IROS 2012 conference will be special because it will showcase the Nao humanoid - the laser power robot that can climb a spiral staircase on its own. What...
Those who've been in the corporate world for some time, know how boring it is to attend meetings and conferences that have a presenter with a PPT. Most of the...
project for final year B.E
Dear All, I want to have a heat exchange between Hot Water and Liquified Petrolium Gas (LPG: 60% propane and 40% butane) to vaporize LPG which is liquid state before...
i am in 3 rd year of computer engineering in mumbai. pls. guide me what is best for further studies