zener diode

hi
we know that a zener diode operated in a reverse biased condition , eventhough when the reverse voltage applied across the zener diode increases more than its breakdown voltage the voltage drop across the zener diode remains constant ,why does this happen ? what actually happens inside the zener diode during that situation

Replies

• reachrkata
    reachrkata
    The principle is called zener breakdown.
    Due to the way the diode is doped, when a reverse voltage is applied, the depletion region widens and creates an electric field

[​IMG]

As the reverse bias increases, the electric field reaches a point when it is high enough to energize the electrons into breaking out of their covalent bonds and becoming free electrons. And these free electrons cause the high current.

The point to note here is after this breakdown point, higher reverse bias just creates more free electrons, but the depletion layer potential does not change any more. It is this potential that gets fixed as the zener voltage.

-Karthik
  • pradeep madhav
    pradeep madhav
    thanks 4 reply
    but the question was y is that voltage across the depletion region constant (for voltage greater than breakdown) , is that because (i think )
    when more electrons are created the resistance of the diode adjusts itself by lowering its value so there will be a compensation and hence constant voltage ,let me know is this right
  • reachrkata
    reachrkata
    In a way yes !!!

-Karthik

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i want to learn and clear my concepts on java programming, sql,oracle etc.. can any one knows where could i get video lectures of language .. as if i am...
Here is my problem: I have to simulate this with Fluidsim or similar and I have no clue on it Thanks
hello guys, me my friends decide to design a helicopter for the project. can u please clarrify some doubts.......😔 1.how can i do maximum power calculation for heli if i...
... and that belongs to 3 INDIAN 24 year old graduates. Rohan Shravan is the CEO of the company Notion INk, which is introducing ADAM, a would be IPAD killer....
Which kinematic chain has 3 links and 3 degrees of freedom? please help