World War II - Bouncing Bombs of Dam Buster Fame

Busting the dam of engineering indifference

#-Link-Snipped-#

Bioramani

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Wow!! What an ingenious feat!!

Very interesting, indeed.. I wonder what kind of calculations this might have entailed..
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    silverscorpion
    Wow!! What an ingenious feat!! Very interesting, indeed.. I wonder what kind of calculations this might have entailed..
    I Was a small boy when the actual bombing took place. We heard about this. Later the book by one of the pilots came followed by the movie in 1955-56. I bought the book and saw the film also. Here is a bit of the film:
    [video=youtube;lCRIsjJFRNo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCRIsjJFRNo[/video]

I can describe one interesting calculation in this. The planes had to be exactly 60 feet above the reservoir water surface for the bouncing to take place. There were no instruments of the required precision to guide the pilot. An ingenious contraption that projected two circular patches of light was designed to fit under the fuselage. When the images on the water showed a figure 8 (the two patches just touching) the height was 60 feet. You can see this in the clip above.

More clips on this are on the same link given above.

More info is available here:
    The Dambusters | Welcome to the Dambusters Website

Bioramani

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Apple devices found to store data on owners' movements Read more: Apple devices found to store data on owners' movements | News | The Engineer Bioramani ​
Sustainability is all about meeting current demand while preserving the conditions for long-term growth. Read more: Making more by using less | In-depth | The Engineer Read the sustainability supplement...
suppose a multiprocessor is built out of individual process of capable of sustaining 50 Mflops. what is the largest function of program execution time that could be devoted to sequential...
I believe it is very possible to program the brain. We are in the beginning stages obviously of making this work but it can and will. I have read a...
hey friends, many times i am confused about what is my weakness when i say one of my weakness my friends are advice me that don't tell this weakness in...