working of a wrist watch

hi friends,
could anyone tell me the principle of working of an ordinary wrist watch. I am talking about the watch that requires a small cell(circular in shape) and that has got different needle moving within the dial..

particularly I am interested to know the role of the battery that is being engaged. There is absolutely no electrical connection within the clock; then why are we engaging the battery when we keep saying that it is a mechanical device.

please help...

regards,
proffy.

Replies

• [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    There's a permanent magnet and some assembly inside the clock. That battery is used as source of power used later to create a rotating field which inturn rotate the gears. I guess I saw that only when I operated one.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi, when we derive the expression for poynting vector, we write E.(derivative of E) = [(derivative of) (E*E)] /2. I want to ask from where does this factor 2 come....
There are tons of different ways of studying. What works well for one, may not be good for the other at all. And when we take the Engineering subjects into...
If you are a non-engineer reading this site, your brain must've come across this question at least once. If you're thinking of becoming an engineer and everyone tells you that...
If you're an engineering college student who apparently hasn't fell in love with Maths or are having a hard time getting past the basic equations, brackets, derivatives, integrations, calculus etc....
Aakash 2 might not have made it to your hands yet but Aakash 3 is already being developed at IIT-Madras. Professor Ashok Jhunjhunwala is heading the development of A-3 and...