Work - Life Balance! What's your take?

Work - Life Balance! What's your take?​

[​IMG]​

People want to earn money even if they go through high stressful situation. At the end they suffer which would show consequences on their work and their life as well! What do you think about this? Are people ignoring their life because of money? Do you support this to happen in your case or your friends'? Let me know, as I am also in a similar situation. πŸ˜”

Replies

• PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    You would be having stress, which is caused by someone who gives the stress, but should that affect your personal life? Your views please...
    [​IMG]​
    #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#
    Need your presence guys!!! πŸ˜€ Did I leave anyone?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    "The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered, 'Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."

Do I need to say anything more? Forget about earning money. Just do what you love, doing small jobs at hand (what is really necessary). It will make your life wonderful. The quality of your life (happiness) will increase substantially.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Recently we heard Mrs. Hemalata Annamalai speak at the TiEcon 2012 about how they build their venture on electric vehicles. One point that she focused on at the end of her talk was something like this, "Lastly, remember. Whatever you do, do it only if you have enough time to devote to your family & friends. Nothing comes above/beyond them."

What is the point of doing something if you are not enjoying it? We often think that money is the incentive, which is not true. Self-satisfaction weighs way more higher than money. If you are happy, you will make people around you happy. πŸ‘
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think you must have already seen this video that tells why Money is not really an incentive -
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Yes, money is something like a base-load power plant. You require it initially but only for sometime till you are satisfied. Later on, it is only you who motivate yourself.

Let me tell you a story. I write for VoiCE okay? Biggie pays me certain amount of money for each article. That is base load. or should I say, an amount to make me feel my time is not wasted for doing something for free. I write average articles everyday.

But what makes me feel write better? It is the inner feeling of improving myself. We want people should say, "This was done by Mr.X , It has to be excellent"

If money was everything, people would have worked every second. But no! People go out an enjoy because we earn money for enjoying. It is not the other way round. Enjoyment is a primary activity.

Just imagine if everything in this world was for free. Why will anyone earn money if they are getting their basic needs satisfied. Our greater motivation lies in achieving something we dream for. We live more for our dreams than for money. Money is just an exchange medium of goods and services.

If you look at monetary system, it is no good than the barter system we once had.
    Simply stating-
    Doing work makes me feel happy. It is a different story, I get money as output.

Praveen, you are a software engineer. You love coding. Do it as if it is your first love. Let the tension of "paying salary" rest with the company.

All the same I have found many activities which save money and are also recreational for me. Doing small and simple things makes you save and earn money even without you knowing about it.

Say, You keep stock of the shop inventory. Thinking how you can achieve a particular activity with highest quality and in minimum time. If you execute such things, you save money and have better opportunities of earning some.

I have implemented some of those identified things in our shop and in my house. "Eliminating waste" I should call it.

Anyways if you are not convinced that money is secondary and cheerfulness is primary-

Then remember this
    For saving money just keep your mind calm. Anxious mind is more prone to waste wealth than earn it.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Unless the pay package is >50% performance based, I don't see the point in breaking yourself to work that you don't like from your heart.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    This is how tags are working to bring the attention πŸ˜‰

My opinion :
    Are people ignoring their life because of money?
    Every Profession/Job has stress and strain. See, Software Engineers give stress to their brains to code, Lawyers give stress to their brains to argue or to win, Students to pass the exams and so on. There is no job to work simply sitting on the chair without taking stress. The point is whether they are taking stress and straining in the office time/school time/work time or are they being carried away to their homes and all? Again some professions need home time too. Even though they don't want to think about the office work in home, some times brain don't listen their words, this happens for almost everyone I guess. The brain keeps on thinking about the work; how to code/program that logic? how to defend that case? How can we get the new project? like that. I don't think they are all doing this only for money. If they don't care about money, they can't live happily. I guess only Yoga masters can balance and win the race with this.

And that's the reason there are only 5 working days and 2 holidays for a week. And the people who really care about this, they could take rest and enjoy with family in the weekend. And these days people are intentionally scheduling their time to spend with family and that's how Kitty parties and Get-to-gathers came into existence.

I don't see that much stress for the people in real. They are just limited to words. And know what? People now-a-days giving stress only to their brains. But in the olden days, they work very hard and gives stress to their body too.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    I would refer you to the story I posted here: #-Link-Snipped-#
    It is written in blue, the one with the pebbles.
    I strongley believe that striking a good balance between life and work is key to good health and LONG LASTING happiness. I highlighted long lasting because money can bring you happiness but it won't last unless you strike that balance with GOD and Family. You may be satisfied with the physical things around you but your mind will not allow you to fully enjoy it because while you are satisfied physically, mentally and psychologically you are weak. Look at what happens to so many stars at the peak of their careers. When they have neglected their friends and family they turn to drugs.
    Some people like me, I don't mind working tirelessly at this point in my life (beginning of career), peaking and then finally gradually ease off.
    I would also refer you to Marslow's Hierachy of needs which highlights human's needs at different points in there life.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    It does not have to be in the same order. You just have to figure out which tier you are on my friend at this point in your life. But you must have a plan to achieve that oh so important balance.
    Some people on the other hand find great piece and content in the work they do, but that rarely occurs when you have a boss.
    If you are an entrepreneur and you are your own boss then you will enjoy your work.
    I'm sure the great scientists like Newton and Einstien worked countless hours on their theories. I am also sure they didn't have a boss on their back.
    I agree with #-Link-Snipped-# in the part that she said, in olden days, we had given much stress to the body than the brain... But now-a-days, the stress and pressure is only for the brain and not even a single percent to the body. In Thirukkural by Thiruvalluvar, they had said that,
    "Theeyinaal sutta puN uLLarum aaRadhey
    naavinaal sutta vadu"

The fire-caused wounds heal soon enough, but not the one caused by a scalding tongue
    And when it is physical stress, people can let it go in one or two days and it doesn't affect the day-to-day activities of life, but in the case of mental stress, one time in my personal experience, I had to use a tool called Firebug, which I was literally applying in my daily life. To that extent, my work has affected my life and so is the birth of this thread. PS: I had fever at that moment, when things turned out to be firebug in the real life! πŸ˜›

So, the final question comes like, is it worth losing our life for the work? I read a story recently about the same topic. The name of the story is "One Bedroom Flat". I cannot copy and paste the whole story, but let me give the starting and ending, so that you can get an interest to check it out.
    One bedroom flat​

As the dream of almost every parent, Γ’€˜SameerΓ’€™ acquired a degree in Software Engineer and joined a company based in USA, the land of braves and opportunity. When he arrived in USA, it was as if a dream had come true for him.

Here at last he was in a place where he always wanted to be. He decided that he would be staying in this country for about Five years in which time he would earn enough money to settle down in India.

His father was a government employee and after his retirement, the only asset he could acquire was a decent one bedroom flat.

He wanted to do some thing more than him. But sooner he started feeling homesickness and lonely as the time passed. After 2 years, he decided to get married. Told his parents that he has only 10 days of holidays and everything must be done within these 10 days. Was jubilant and was actually enjoying hopping for gifts for all his friends back home. If he miss anyone then there will be talks. After reaching home he did spent one week going through all the photographs of girls and as the time was getting shorter he was forced to select one candidate.

Story Clipped...

Time passed by, his daughter decided to get married to a citizen in USA and his son was happy living in USA only. He decided that had enough now and will wound-up every thing and will return to his own country. He had just enough money to buy a decent 02 bedroom flat in a well-developed locality.

Now he is 60 years old and the only time he goes out of the flat is for the routine visit to the nearby temple. His faithful wife has also left him and gone to the holy abode.

Sometimes he wondered was it worth all this? His father, even after staying in their home country, had a house to his name and he too have the same as of now, nothing more than that.

He lost his parents and children for just ONE EXTRA BEDROOM.

Looking out from the window he sees a lot of children dancing. This damned cable TV has spoiled the new generation and the children are losing their values and culture because of it. He get occasional cards from his children asking if he is alright.

Now perhaps after he will die, it will be the neighbors again who will be performing his last rights, God Bless them! But the question still remains the same Γ’€“ Γ’€˜was all this worth just for an extra bedroom flat finally?Γ’€™

He is still searching for an answer!!!
    So, the thing is, "He lost his parents and children for just ONE EXTRA BEDROOM." Will this be the fate of every hard / intelligent working software professional (or a similar kind of job profile)?
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    This picture should sum this all up! πŸ‘ It's one of my personal favorites!

chetan bhagat
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Praveen-Kumar
    So, the final question comes like, is it worth losing our life for the work? Will this be the fate of every hard / intelligent working software professional (or a similar kind of job profile)?
    In my opinion - Work-Life balance, stress, busy are all just limited to words which people themselves highlighting much these days. What are people doing in the weekend? Are they not taking rest, enjoying? I strongly say, most of the people won't work on saturday and sunday..
    People who really care about their life would take care of their life πŸ˜€.
    Sada
    In my opinion - Work-Life balance, stress, busy are all just limited to words which people themselves highlighting much these days. What are people doing in the weekend? Are they not taking rest, enjoying? I strongly say, most of the people won't work on saturday and sunday..
    He he... When stuff forces them to work, they have to... No other go!!! πŸ˜”
  • Tulay
    Tulay
    Sada
    1-Every Profession/Job has stress and strain....

2-I don't think they are all doing this only for money. If they don't care about money, they can't live happily....

3-And that's the reason there are only 5 working days and 2 holidays for a week. And the people who really care about this, they could take rest and enjoy with family in the weekend. And these days people are intentionally scheduling their time to spend with family and that's how Kitty parties and Get-to-gathers came into existence.

4-I don't see that much stress for the people in real. They are just limited to words. And know what? People now-a-days giving stress only to their brains. But in the olden days, they work very hard and gives stress to their body too.
    dear Sada, I agree with you on 1 and 2...
    but I think that we must not accept 3 and 4 as general... now I m a nurse, and at the same time I study computer engineering.in hospital I work at anesthesia intensive care unit, the other name of that reanimation..
    I dont have 2 days for holiday in a week πŸ˜” I work 16 hours in the nigth (from 16:00 to next day at 08:00)(but not everynight, 3 night in a week) and I never sleep...
    there are too much noise in my unit couse of patients monitors and patients mechanical ventilators (the machine for respiratory)...
    and I cant sit.. I always stand for hours...
    as in the olden days, I work very hard and give stress both on my brain and my body... and I earn just 1000 $ for a month.. not much πŸ˜”

and after all these tiring hours I go to school and listen the teachers to be an angeneer πŸ˜”
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Tulay
    dear Sada, I agree with you on 1 and 2...
    but I think that we must not accept 3 and 4 as general... now I m a nurse, and at the same time I study computer engineering.in hospital I work at anesthesia intensive care unit, the other name of that reanimation..
    I dont have 2 days for holiday in a week πŸ˜” I work 16 hours in the nigth (from 16:00 to next day at 08:00)(but not everynight, 3 night in a week) and I never sleep...
    there are too much noise in my unit couse of patients monitors and patients mechanical ventilators (the machine for respiratory)...
    and I cant sit.. I always stand for hours...
    as in the olden days, I work very hard and give stress both on my brain and my body... and I earn just 1000 $ for a month.. not much πŸ˜”

and after all these tiring hours I go to school and listen the teachers to be an angeneer πŸ˜”
    What a task! I applaud you and i urge you to stay steadfast in your endevours.
  • Tulay
    Tulay
    CE Designer
    What a task! I applaud you and i urge you to stay steadfast in your endevours.
    thanks a lot πŸ˜€
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    Stress will be there all the time to achieve anything and this is how it goes, "You'll stress your body/brain when you're excited about the work" where the work is limited and you can complete it in allotted time. In this case stress will be there but the target is within our reach.

In other case, "You'll stress your body/brain when you're overexcited about the work." Well, here you know it's tough to accomplish your targets(goals) within the time and you know if you can't do it, you cannot continue and it might take things worse. Here, imagine, you desperately want it but you're not getting it and you'll tend to work overtime here and won't rest properly and will start to feel the stress and strain with your neurons in business all the time. This will become highly disturbing part of life.

But in order to avoid this scenario's "If you know you cannot make it(all the work) in time, just plan for your max potential and see what you can achieve (in time) but not for the max work (that was given to you) so that you can get the max output with out much stress/strain." So that you can carry on all the things according to your curriculum.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Sada
    I have been careless on and off. 😭

#-Link-Snipped-#, take my bow girl! πŸ˜€
    When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Attention all Mechies, this thread vies to be a comprehensive compilation of all the books required for undergraduate studies in Mechanical Engineering. I have tried to include all the good...
I'm convinced that the company Flipkart has hired is doing more than it should to attract traffic to the website. That's why, Flipkart seems to have purchased keywords that are...
Hey... I want to buy [hybrid]-Stepper Motor For my Project... so any budy can help.... . . . πŸ˜’
Saw the comic? Now read the analysis here, from a website the author of this comic edits.
Though engineers are (probably) notoriously unromantic this may be of some interest to a few off beat CEans, who may not toe this line. The body language (what else?) of...