Withdraw money from ATM without card

If you came here to learn a new trick that'd make you rich overnight, we're sorry to disappoint you. Two things - One; you'll still need to have the money in your bank account and two; authenticate yourself at the ATM. The good part - you don't have to carry a bunch of credit or debit cards to ATMS anymore for cash withdraw. Your smartphone itself will tell the ATM that it's the authentic 'you', fully allowed to take the cash out. Interesting, isn't it? The technology, called 'Cardless Cash Access', makes it possible to allow people to withdraw money from ATMs faster and with even more safety.

cardless-cash-withdrawl

Here's how it works - Users will have to authenticate themselves by first installing a special app on their phone and entering the bank details, the ATM where they wish to withdraw money and also the amount they wish to withdraw. This can be done well in advance - up to 24 hours before they want to access the ATM. The system will generate a special QR code and send it to the user's phone.

Once the user arrives at the ATM, the ATM machine will request the QR code and ask the user to hold their phone's screen in front of the ATM's camera. The ATM machine will authenticate the user using QR code and let them pick the cash. The system will also generate a special electronic receipt so that the need of paper-based receipt is eliminated.

According to FIS - the company behind the technology, Cardless Cash Access system will speed up the ATM operations and also prevent ATM frauds. User's information will be stored in secured cloud servers so that it remains accessible even if the user loses the phone. FIS has already conducted successful pilot projects of the system in three US cities - LA, NY & SF. For those of you who won't settle for anything lesser than a video may watch the following demonstration video -

Replies

• Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    I would strictly advice people not to Install any Internet Banking app on their smartphone, if they use softwares like WeChat, WhatsApp, or even Facebook app, [I'm not pointing wrong anyone]

But there is high vulnerability of your credentials being leaked. fb app does not run on encrypted data, so you can loose your data and their are high chances of your phone being remotely administrated.

I'm not saying, that if you use, it would surely happen, but I say there are very very high chances, and better is not to install banking app with these.
  • prahu mac
    prahu mac
    yes don't just believe in this crap!!!!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Why the user have to hold the phone infront of the camera? what is the reason behind that?
    I liked the idea of generating the code and withdrawing money, since this reduces the risk of forgetting the card at the atm machine.

As far as security is concerned, I am sure there will be strict measures taken.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - It looks like the QR code will be sent to user's phone and the ATM machine will need this QR code to identify the user. That's why, the user will have to hold the camera in front of the ATM's camera.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Sometimes, I am intimidated by technology when it comes to things like bank accounts and personal profiles.
    Anyway, would they be implementing NFC with this?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello Friends.. i want to know how to access webcam with java script or jquery only. no flash.
With our cameras going full HD and the world moving over to 4K videos, it's no surprise that our digital data storage needs are going to grow exponentially in coming...
I've often wondered if there are any special reasons why the camera module, the rear one, is positioned towards the top of the phone and not at the center. Isn't...
I found Arduino IDE not a good tool to edit arduino sketches & upload it in Arduino, especially in my Linux system(Editor kinda sucks & it's slow). So, I searched...
I'm shocked & stunned after reading about the proposed and upcoming banking reforms in India initiated by the Reserve Bank Of India (RBI) in ET. The newly appointed RBI chief,...