With Stadia, Is Google Promising More Than the Cloud Can Deliver?

Google claims it can stream all your high quality video games to any device you own via the cloud. And if you take a step beyond the video game angle, what the search giant is attempting raises some very valid questions about the efficacy of cloud computing going forward.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

I had the same thought when I heard about the service. In video games; latency is going to be one of the main issues. The reason console games work is that there is almost zero latency in user taking an action and having the command processed by the GPUs + CPUs in the console. 

With Stadia - it's going to be a function of the Internet. Yes, the Internet connections are faster than ever before; but I'll have to test this on my own before actually forming an opinion. 

I think Stadia is one solid step towards cloud gaming. Let's see how it evolves.

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal

The input lag will be the 21st generation gaming issue, until we reach to the solution where network provides ~1 ms latency.

As much Stadia sounds promising, I low-key hope it fails. I don't want to spend thousands of bucks in gaming and have no control over my 'owned' copy of game.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# - I doubt the pricing will be in thousands. Why do you want to own the game? It's like Netflix for games.

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal

#-Link-Snipped-# Because #-Link-Snipped-#

Joke apart, I like to collect games and I don't want to go online just to play single-player games. I would rather pay 30k for graphics card, buy non-drm version of games, play on my machine than pay 2k per months to Stadia (or even more).

I am quite sure that pricing won't be as cheap as other video-audio streaming services; People demands 1080p at 144fps, 4K@60fps or 4K@144fps; even high-end GPUs are struggling to maintain the latter ones. Rendering and streaming games at such rate would require very powerful infrastructure. A lot powerful than any video streaming services.

#-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Designing for Children is being organized for the 2nd time from 6th to 8th of December 2019 at the IDC School of Design (IDC), Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IIT...
I want make a search Engineering ne, not so complicated, as a project. But I am not able to figure out that for what purpose it should be? Like Google...
Carlos says: Face front, true engineers! Alas, this will be my last editorial with Machine Design. I will be taking on a new role at the American Society of Mechanical...
hi!I got this project in my table on creating billing system and I wonder if it's possible to do it with open source. I need advice on the best Open...
I have scored 72% in 10th (2009), 56% in 12th (2012) with 1 year gap b/w 10th and 12th and scored 63% in BTECH Cse (2017) WITH GAP OF ONE...