Wimax networks

was wondering if two nodes in a given wi-max or for that matter in a wi-fi network can communicate with each other without actually going through internet back haul?

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    not possible
    Its possilbe only in Wireless Mesh Networks and not in Adhoc networks like Wi fi
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I hear Intel's 802.11s proposal allows existing wifi nodes to communicate with each other via a mesh.

But I suppose given long range wifi routers, with appropriate alternative channels and subnets, you could theoretically create your own WAN mesh without using the ISP's backbone.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    intel? IEEE? 802.11s actually defines standards for wireless mesh networks. Intern client /node communication is one of the features of WMNs. I think the basic topological architecture determines this as in wi-fi its more of line of sight and the nodes don't actually involve in routing right? in 802.11s , clients too communicate , may be thats the reason inter-client communication is possible without going through internet.
    argh.. the more try explaining the more questions pop up😔
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yeap, its an IEEE mesh draft standard but Intel has given their initial technical proposals for it. As of now, I don't think the standard is ratified yet.

The thing about this standard is that its built upon existing 802.11a/b/g standards, so each 802.11a/b/g node can also act as a router.. with traffic hopping on to the subsequent node. Basically the microscale of packet networks without the internet back haul. So in this sense, it is possible for non mesh Wifi nodes to communicate this way.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Multiple hops at MAC layer will be facilitating it. Currently its single hop hence unless and until we go till the backbone the packet is unaware where it needs to go. But in the mesh techonlogy clients will be able to do it by themselves. Atleast with all those neigbours whose MAC ID they are ware of.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The satellites were put in orbit by the French rocket Ariane 5 rocket, operated by Arianespace.This satellite will be co ordinating with the existing fleet of satellite to provide high...
hi i looking forward to do a final year project in following domains 1.SECURITY 2.WEB BASED APPLICATION /Networking using the JAVA or DotNet technologies it would be a real help...
​In what appears to be a challenge to Google Earth and Wikimapia, the Space Applications Centre (SAC) of ISRO has come up with 'Bhuvan', bringing India's name into the limelight...
HI, i am a final year student i am really confused rite now and not able to think of a unique topic for my final year project 😒 i am...
was wondering if CE IDEAS could become a prequel of CE LABS 😁 any practical implementable ideas could be taken forward to CE LABS and then worked upon as a...