Will you join a government job?

I remember there were times when if a person was employed with a private firm, he was It later changed as the privately managed organisations started offering more money and much more perks than the government jobs. With the recession in the offing, I think the trend is now shifting back to where it all began.

So here is my question, will you take up a job in a government agency if offered today?

The obvious merits are job security, pension, a house (in most cases), medical frills... list might be long depending on which industry you are in.

The demerits are slow growth, very bureaucratic environment, mundane and boring jobs, not to forget corruption.

Private companies on the other hand offer(ed) higher pay and a lifestyle sort of jobs. But there are obvious demerits such as work stress, tough schedules and so much insecurity now a days.

Take your pick. Will you prefer a government job over a private one?

PS: Entrepreneurs or future entrepreneurs, please keep your business brain aside and answer ๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

• raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    I would prefer either a PSU or a government research organization like ISRO, DRDO etc. I would never leave my country to work in some other place.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    raj87verma88
    I would prefer either a PSU or a government research organization like ISRO, DRDO etc. I would never leave my country to work in some other place.
    So you are fine with very slow growth?๐Ÿ˜’
  • J I J O
    J I J O
    I am with BPCL
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    J I J O
    I am with BPCL
    Are you happy with your job? With the slowness of life and dearth of ideas? With you not being allowed to communicate your ideas up where it matters? With others stealing your credit?
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    And I forgot to mention that I would also have the armed forces as an option. Rather they would be my first option. My first preference being the Navy, second preference Navy and third preference Army.
    Who said the growth rate is slow? And moreover what will you do with all the high salary and the so called lifestyle jobs when you don't have a life of your own?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    i Have two options here .
    i want good salary and good stress to make my brain to be alive always

and next i want to run my own business but it takes time but i am sure that i will run my own business in a few years not for only money but thats my goal and for my satisfaction ๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Who says people in the private organisations dont enjoy their life? They do. Not all are stressed. And not all people get laid off, but very few of them. I believe if I'm good, I'll climb up the ladder for sure.

However in a government job, you need to wait and wait some more to go up, unless you have a connection.

PS: Defense services is a different option all together. Its not about money and/or job satisfaction.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Well if anyone ask me. It hardly matters for me whether it is governemnt job or private. I have no craze for perks and security stuff. I just want good work alongwith good working environment.Over all work satisfaction. That's it

Unfortunately my views don't fit into any of the poll options ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'd join any damn company that gives me freedom to implement my ideas and challenges me to excel at every step in my career (I mean it!)
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    My dad's working in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. A lot of work, but very interesting ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    ash
    My dad's working in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. A lot of work, but very interesting ๐Ÿ˜€

Ash , your dad working at Malaysia or India ?
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    I can join Govt.job anytime provided they remove time-consuming selection process and give federal employess more freedom!!!
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    The_Big_K
    I'd join any damn company that gives me freedom to implement my ideas and challenges me to excel at every step in my career (I mean it!)
    And do you think a government job gives you all that?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yes, it depends on how you look at your job.
  • J I J O
    J I J O
    mayurpathak
    Are you happy with your job? With the slowness of life and dearth of ideas? With you not being allowed to communicate your ideas up where it matters? With others stealing your credit?
    Who told you that man.. actually its not like that.. I am in a refinery..i love it especially the money he he he
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    English-Scared
    Ash , your dad working at Malaysia or India ?
    Ash is a Malaysian living in Malaysia. Why would his father work for the Indian Ministry of External Affairs?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yeah, Patty is right, haha. I'm Malaysian. My dad's posted in Thailand now though, with my mom.

I think being a diplomat is cool government job!
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Personally speaking, the coolest government jobs are The Armed Forces(all three branches), The Prime Minister, The President.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I guess its country specific. The armed forces in Malaysia doesn't see much action, aside from sending a few units for U.N. duty, and fighting ship pirates.

They also don't have much budget, compared to India ๐Ÿ˜›

Though, an engineer working for the defense sector will be interesting. If you are in the U.S, you'll get funding from folks like DARPA, and access to the most advanced labs ever. Again.. country specific ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    raj87verma88
    Ash is a Malaysian living in Malaysia. Why would his father work for the Indian Ministry of External Affairs?

No i thought ash went from India to Malaysia for education .
    thats a great job to work for external affairs..๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    ash
    They also don't have much budget, compared to India ๐Ÿ˜›
    I think the budget to manage the cricket team in India is more than the budget assigned to Armed Forces and their R&D
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    well like DARPA,India to has DRDO,i had visited once,they have really state-of-art laboratories and i visited the lab specializing in rifle designing....it was kind-off top secret laboratory.
    Well,Diplomats are representative of specific countries the job is of too much responsibility as each and every statement you make or do means what your country means.....i always fancied typical beareaucrat job like heading a warehouse corporation or dairy development board.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    mayurpathak
    I think the budget to manage the cricket team in India is more than the budget assigned to Armed Forces and their R&D
    BCCI is not government funded. Maximum of the money comes from sponsors and telecasting rights. So, you can not compare. And anyway, the budget for defense is quite huge.
  • gohm
    gohm
    It would depend. Like a job anywhere if it was a great opportunity and I was looking for a change, I would.
  • J I J O
    J I J O
    Lumber Joe
    I prefer private sector
    May i know why?๐Ÿ˜•
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Entrepremeurship is my ultimate goal... no government jobs plzzzz

-Crazy

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi everyone, Could anyone tell me what is the SEO and and other things related to it iam sorry but iam little new to such things..If I have a website...
Hi there everyone, I'm really glad I found this forum! And since there's a special place for introductions I figured I'd make use of it ๐Ÿ˜Ž I'm trying to think...
Alright, I found this comment on lifehacker. Someone commented that if we set config.trim_on_minimize = true Firefox will return system's precious RAM. Anyone's got more information on this?
I started this blog for all electrical students pls join this and share your feelings https://sai353.blogspot.com:cean:
now i am doing this survey job in free time at my home,if any one interested on this go to the link below,i hope you also enjoy this job