Wikipedia Dependence

Wikipedia is a site that provides a good stuff of information on almost all the topics.I have noticed this fact that most of the people (even on ce) searching net for some piece of information generally rely on wikipedia. In fact sometimes google search also shows the wikipedia link on the top.

But this is also true that everyone is free to make changes in the wikipedia document. So some one may knowingly introduce some incorrect information in the document.:!:

I want to discuss with other ceans: How much is it safe to depend on wikipedia only :?:

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    πŸ˜€Its true.But after all we all are responsible for what is wikipedia today.We Should always make correction in wkipedia data if we notice any irregularity.
    To reach a golden mean we should also search other sites to cross check the info.πŸ˜€
  • Abhishek.Tony
    Abhishek.Tony
    Depending entirely on Wikipedia will be laziness I think.
    Wikipedia has extremely high standards. Check it out on "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliability_of_Wikipedia"
    But still one cannot neglect self analysis. If someone is dissatisfied with Wikipedia, he/she should check out other sources which he/she considers reliable.
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    I agree with you laziness point abhishek. But how can we come to know that the information we are checking out at wikipedia is correct or not.

Actually this happened in my 6th semester. We were given one assignment. Some of my friends referred wikipedia for the assignment content and I referred some other site which I found from google search. And our assignment was totally different as we have chosen altogether different topics. πŸ˜’

And recently my interviewer also discussed the same thing with me in while interviewing me. He told me that sometimes they also have to suffer from the consequences of wrong information available on net.πŸ˜”
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    Come on friends, we need more points.. Lets do something for wikipedia
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    Wikipedia is generally trusted worldwide for its authenticity of information. But this trend is so deep rooted that recently while referring a book I referred Wiki for some clear explanation. Surprise surprise! The statements used in the book were same word by word. I hope the author didn't use Wiki as his reference. Also Wikipedia doesn't explain concepts properly. Also since a particular post is edited by many the concept could be twisted. So for understanding of concepts it is better to use books and for general informative purposes Wikipedia rocks.
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    Same was the case with me, Shreyasm. One of my teachers used to make the notes from wikipedia. When we noticed this, we left making notes for that teacher.
  • gohm
    gohm
    I think Wikipedia is a great STARTING POINT in research or looking for information on a topic to get a basic understanding. From there, an individual can delve deeper to explore a topic in more specialized, detailed research.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Well, you would use any other encyclopaedia just as a reference, right?

Say, if you have a hard copy of the Britannica or the Encarta encyclopaedia..

You would use it to refer to any info you need. You would not use it to understand
    the concepts or to try and learn something totally new... Because, an encyclopaedia is just a book for reference..

Similarly, Wikipedia should also ideally be used for getting to know something new or to refresh our memory about something we already knew..
    And, wikipedia also does a very good job of verifying the info that's present. I have not encountered many erroneous info in it til now..
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    Absolutely gohm and silverscorpian. I complete go with your statements.πŸ˜€
  • Abhishek.Tony
    Abhishek.Tony
    Same case here too..
    I have a teacher who teaches Theory of Machines to us. But when he finds himself lacking in explanations for some, he usually tells us to refer Wikipedia to know more..!?
    As it seems its a way for him to escape from our questions.:razz:

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Need help with this .. Suppose I have a cylinder with plunger arrangement on one side and the other is blocked.. and when i push the plunger the air compresses.....
HI! i'm srinivas studying in final year of BE cse. last weak i deleted some important files accidently. later i recovered those files but, i'm not able to open most...
hai friends i am in 3rd b.tech, i am going to do my miny project in next month, so any one tell me most useful projects names.
This is for people who are experienced and who want to shift to another company. May be it is telephonic or personal interview this is the most obvious question asked...
on what basis the vector group of the transformer installed in substation or any plant is decided???