Why there are language preferences among software engineers these days?

Since last week I am interviewing students and have found the students have developed a language preference among themselves

for e.g they think "I am doing java since last 2 years and don't want to switch to other, as it has more scope"

I can't understand reason behind this, i believe ultimately individual must know how to work?

Once they know what is input and what is output, then comes the role of language to develop the logic

What do you think does it really matter?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think the topic is better suited in the CS / IT engineering section. Thread moved.
  • The_Small_k
    The_Small_k
    I have not worked on any PHP framework.
    But if you comes to java You have to do this much to create an enterprise application.
    struts,struts2,JSF,springMVC(as a controller)
    + Hibernate,JPA,JDBC(in the DAO persistent layer)
    + spring(to make light coupling between layers and to provides middle label services and security)
    + EJB,Webservices(to make an enterprise application)
    + number of J2EE design patterns to give a solution to a particular problems
    + java updates with new features like annotation, generics, var args.... etc etc.
    You can create an application only with jsp and servlet also but it's not the right way to create an enterprise application. And rarely any one know all these technologies mentioned above. In my case until i came to know all these no other language comes to my mind.I just can't move to others because if i do so i may loose my hands on my java frameworks.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Most of the people rely on others for all the decision making and when their friends or relatives say that 'Java' has more 'scope' - they'll blindly believe it. In fact, a good programmer will master any programming language in not more than 2-3 weeks.

There are some of the domains where the language choice is very important. That's why, you will find people devoted to languages like Ruby, PHP, JavaScript etc.

People need to understand the 'scope' thing. There's a scope for everything in this world.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I can't understand reason behind this, i believe ultimately individual must know how to work?
    You are right here that once concept is buildup they can able to work on other languages also.

But here is the catch, Just an example for java language,
    even if a well experienced java guy would switch to C#, it takes months to exactly settle down and getting in depth can takes over a year.
    Also Java is so wast that learning a new framework of java could take more than month to work upon. (Eg. Spring and hibernate), so why not to master one language only.

I am sure C# would also have similar funda.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Good software is like good literature. A guy can pick up few words of any language and may converse in it. But it takes years of practice to come up with comprehensible piece of article. That's how much it matters!
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    The_Small_k
    struts,struts2,JSF,springMVC(as a controller)
    + Hibernate,JPA,JDBC(in the DAO persistent layer)
    + spring(to make light coupling between layers and to provides middle label services and security)
    + EJB,Webservices(to make an enterprise application)
    + number of J2EE design patterns to give a solution to a particular problems
    + java updates with new features like annotation, generics, var args.... etc etc.
    You didn't get my point, what i am saying is why you are making a preference, I may agree with you that java has much more advanced features

But the features are secondary, first of all you must be aware of how to work at least in case of freshers, for an experienced guy of more than 15 years, he can say I don't want to switch to another domain, as our mind is not ready to accept it.

I have seen many developers in my career so far, most of them didn't even know what they want to do,they realize it after writing 1000 lines of code and ultimately deleting it.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    ianoop
    But here is the catch, Just an example for java language,
    even if a well experienced java guy would switch to C#, it takes months to exactly settle down and getting in depth can takes over a year.
    Also Java is so wast that learning a new framework of java could take more than month to work upon. (Eg. Spring and hibernate), so why not to master one language only.
    Well for me I remember when i had built my first IOS application, i had developed in just a time frame of 2 months, learning it from scratch

I believe if you know the basic steps of writing a code and your vision behind writing it is clear, things won't take that much time

for eg

"The purpose of for loop is same for every language, just syntax might be different"
    So if you know what is for loop then it should not take a much time for you to write a basic program to draw a pattern in any language
  • sookie
    sookie
    I don't think there is any need of rewriting a similar piece of code again and again when some language already provides that code in the form of API or lib. More focus should be on solving the real problem without wasting effort in rewriting the code. There are many new things to be explored by using already written code.

-Good softwares are not designed they are evolved.
  • The_Small_k
    The_Small_k
    goyal420
    But the features are secondary, first of all you must be aware of how to work at least in case of freshers, for an experienced guy of more than 15 years, he can say I don't want to switch to another domain, as our mind is not ready to accept it.
    I agreed with you as a fresher we have to know how to develop an application it doesn't matter which language you are using.I have seen no of guy's very poor at application development approach.

goyal420
    I have seen many developers in my career so far, most of them didn't even know what they want to do,they realize it after writing 1000 lines of code and ultimately deleting it.
    Haha It's realy hard to guess a good developer from the pool. Even they will tell everything what you want but don't know how to utilize that and in which specific situation we have to go for it ?
    Lot's of developers are there in the market who wear all the technologies but very poor at using that technologies in optimized way.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Anand Tamariya
    But it takes years of practice to come up with comprehensible piece of article. That's how much it matters!
    Yes, one can realize this when you are work with a ninja programmer with decade of of experience and compare your code with them. you will realize writing code is an art.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    There should not be a tendency to adapt particular languages. There are situations where different languages can perform better due to some internal changes. But JAVA has an overall utility and so does others. I dont understand on what basis people Choose a language. All are good at their positions

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Chemical engineer Chitra Thiyagarajan has obtained a patent for a device that converts plastic into fuel similar to diesel. Chitra set out to find a cheap as well as sustainable...
Gone are the days (well, we hope) when the cheaters used the 'traditional' paper-based chits to write down formulae, important answers, hints et al to secure passing marks in exams....
Dear sir/madam, I want to know is High powerPMDC motors eg:125hp motors are used presently or not.
So, twenty two years are completed of Linux. 22 years ago, Linus torvalds first publicly released Linux. Here's the Google+ post of Linux : Hello everybody out there using Linux...
It's not new for the machines to beat humans in the games humans designed; the latest one being the Foosball. Students studying at Automatic Control Laboratory have designed a Foosball...