Why is diesel engine not used in motorcycles?

in motorcycle we did not use diesel engine why?😕

Replies

• raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    There are motorcycles that run on diesel.
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    raj87verma88
    There are motorcycles that run on diesel.
    For example, The Royal-Enfield Bullet (old model) which runs on diesel.
  • sujaniangunner
    sujaniangunner
    diesel engines are very bulky, so this makes them unfit for use in two wheelers
  • arjunoids
    arjunoids
    Desel engines have high compression ratios as compared to petrol engine. So, due to the reciprocating motion of the piston, there occurs more vibration when compared with a petrol engine of same size (or capacity). Due to this, a very strong chassie is needed. This makes the vehicle heavy. It is generally not desired in case of two wheelers. So, they use the next best available option i.e., PETROL ENGINE. Which not only makes the vehicle lighter but also makes it very fast response for the change in load (or acceleration or up or down movement).
  • ankit bapat
    ankit bapat
    size is the factor due to which diesel engine is not prefered in bikes
    bt there are some bikes on which 4 stroke diesel engine is assembled
  • Sarfaraz Khan
    Sarfaraz Khan
    Apart from its bulky size the high compression ratio is also a problem to use a diesel engine in a motorcycle.this occurs especially in winters when the temp falls too much.it would be hard to start the engine in motorcycle in wintwrs by kicking. it would be very difficuilt to provide that much compresion to increase its temperature.
  • g_rakesh2
    g_rakesh2
    Diesel engine operates at very high compression ratios it has to be very strong, and therefore heavy. The injector that squirts fuel into the cylinder has to be both strong and very precise in order to force a precise amount of fuel into the cylinder.

For these reasons, Diesel engines tend to be heavier than petrol engines, and more expensive because of the very precise engineering required in manufacturing the injectors. So they are not practical for fairly inexpensive 2 wheel vehicles.

Some of 2-wheelers use it as mentioned in reply no.2, but if one continuously uses diesel engine bikes; then it may lead him/her to neck pain, sleep disk or some back problem
  • 070790vivek
    070790vivek
    thanks
    g_rakesh2 and arjunoids your answer satisfied me.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Here's some fantastic news for the wordpress hardcore fans. Running a multi-blog site just got easier because you don't need a separate version of Wordpress (MU). Wordpress & WordPress MU...
Google has just released the IME, a desktop translator tool. I'm currently downloading and. Will post a review if it works well 😛 Curious minds, head over to: Download Google...
hai guys i want to work with bluetooth, and so i want complete bluetooth package. if any one have pls sent it to me!
Hi. I am a newbie in every sense of the word.I am new to this site and this is my first post and I am also new to the electrical...
hello frndz.. am using a virtualbox software to run more than one operating systems without installing them separately on my system!! i just want to know how this software work...