Why do people ask each other's salary or income?

I'm curious to know why do we (Indians) are so immensely interested in knowing how much salary / income we make. I've faced direct questions on how much money I make on many occasions from relatives, friends and total strangers. Makes me wonder why are people so genuinely interested in each other's salary or income? What's your opinion?

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Simple, because Indians think that money is a measure of your prosperity. Another reason is competitiveness, your peers want to know whether you have more moolah than them and Mr. Sharma wants to know your salary because then he can boast in a party that his son earns more than you. It is the equivalent of how much marks you secure when you are a kid.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    My observation..
    1.they see you, evaluate you how much your worth would be depending on your outer look and style.
    2.After talking you about your work, they evaluate you against themselves , I am also doing the same then how can be this person looks so wealthy, happy (this can be opposite like you look miserable to them)
    But mostly, when you look happy then only they ask about how much money you make.
    😒
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    To figure out if your company is a better place to work in compared to theirs 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Much awaited BBM aka Blackberry Messenger for Android is expected to be available for download from Google Play store on June 27th. It'd be the first time that the BBM...
Any.do (my favorite personal task manager) recently teased that they'll be announcing a calendar app. The company has just released a video (see below) that shows the app in action...
Nissan has set yet another benchmark for its budget brand Datsun, where the company has recently announced via email a “Datsun World Premiere” on July 15th. Targeting the emerging markets...
When it comes to taking down the bad, the best of them come together to wipe them all. Microsoft Corp. and the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) along with authorities...
Gamers worldwide have been itching to know more about the Xbox One ever since its launch last month, so taking their impatience into consideration Microsoft has decided to spill a...