Who owns the Zebra?

On an odd little street in the town of Somewhere, there are five house in a row. Each house is a different colour, each is inhabited by a woman of different nationality, and the owner of the houses also have their differences: each owner has a different pet, prefers a different drink and works in a different profession. A detective, charged with the task of discovering who drinks water and who owns the Zebra, gathered the following information, itemized for your convenience:
  1. The Englishwoman lives in the red house.
  2. The Spaniard owns a dog.
  3. Coffee is drunk in the green house
  4. The Ukrainian drinks tea.
  5. The green house is immediately to the right of the Ivory house.
  6. The engineer owns the snail.
  7. The diplomat lives in the yellow house.
  8. Milk is drunk in the middle house.
  9. The Norwegian lives in the first house on the left.
  10. The doctor lives next to the owner of the fox.
  11. The diplomat lives next to the owner of the horse.
  12. The teacher drinks orange juice.
  13. The carpenter is Japanese.
  14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think that is called the 'Einstein's Puzzle', am I right?
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    The_Big_K
    Its a kind of detective puzzle! πŸ˜€ Answer? Don't google please... πŸ˜€
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    I tried solving the 14 pointers in the following order:
    9, 14, 8
    took a guess on 5th one and then followed the order 3, 1, 7, 11, 6.
    Stuck here.. so took another guess on 13th point.
    Stuck again!

Give Up! 😭
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    Dancer_Engineer
    I tried solving the 14 pointers in the following order:
    9, 14, 8
    took a guess on 5th one and then followed the order 3, 1, 7, 11, 6.
    Stuck here.. so took another guess on 13th point.
    Stuck again!

Give Up! 😭
    Contradictory to your qoute you quit
    πŸ˜›
    Never Quit Anything In Life - To Get Something That You Never Had, You Have To Do Something That You Never Did.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Gandalf
    Contradictory to your qoute you quit
    πŸ˜›

Yeah, I sat with it the puzzle for quite a long time (2hrs :-(), and then I really really had to let it go πŸ˜”
    I had once solved a similar puzzle, I was sure to crack this one.
    Shall I say the answer?
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    No don't say now.
    OKay... You have kind of going in the right way... πŸ˜€
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Praveen-Kumar
    OKay... You have kind of going in the right way... πŸ˜€
    Yes I'm on the right solution.
    Ok, you sure there is no data missing?
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    @Dancer_Engineer, make a matrix type structure and fill in the boxes and eliminate the wrong choices with logic. Its slightly complex and you have to think atleast 2-3 steps ahead. I will wait for your reply before writing the full solution in steps.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Oopss!
    I forgot about the Zebra. 😳
    Ok will post my answer (i.e if I get one) before the end of the day. πŸ‘
    Waiting for your answers guys! πŸ˜€
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    The Diplomat?

Please please please say YES! πŸ˜–
    Er... Nopes! πŸ˜”
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! 😑
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    I don't want to spoil fun so I am not posting here, but I have posted the solution for the same over here.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Photo1067

This is how I solved (the 3rd trial). Stuck at 11, then checked the other possibilities 2, 4, 6, 12, 13 and landed at Diplomat. πŸ˜•
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    @Dancer Engineer: findout what diplomat can drink if in your previous post you wrote for water then I agree with your answer. then findout nationality,occupation,drink of second house which I think is not too complicated.
    Final effort will be where in house3,4,5 in which you have to try to assume things, (just two three steps ahead) and you would see that if you make wrong assumption, it will fail so go back and correct it, eliminate other choices. Finding zebra is more complicated than finding water.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    simplycoder
    @Dancer Engineer: findout what diplomat can drink if in your previous post you wrote for water then I agree with your answer. then findout nationality,occupation,drink of second house which I think is not too complicated.
    Final effort will be where in house3,4,5 in which you have to try to assume things, (just two three steps ahead) and you would see that if you make wrong assumption, it will fail so go back and correct it, eliminate other choices. Finding zebra is more complicated than finding water.

Okay. I took both the person who drinks water and who owns the Zebra to be one.
    So I found out the Diplomat drinks water, so concluded he owns the Zebra.

Oopss, I made a boo-boo 😳
    simplycoder
    I don't want to spoil fun so I am not posting here, but I have posted the solution for the same over here.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Still giving the link is like a spoiler! πŸ˜”
    Okay guys, shall I post the solution or still to decipher??? πŸ˜€ Simply coder is right! 😁
    The_Big_K
    Yeah man!!! Just got it... Its the Einstein's Puzzle!!! 😁
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Praveen-Kumar
    Yeah man!!! Just got it... Its the Einstein's Puzzle!!! 😁
    Ha! See! The real genius lies in knowing where to find the answer πŸ˜‰
    The_Big_K
    Ha! See! The real genius lies in knowing where to find the answer πŸ˜‰
    That's why you are a Good Administrator! 😁
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    @All: I know that this is a logical puzzle and it would be a sad thing if we write a code for this to solve it.
    Did any one try to write a code for this for verification of answer?
    If not give it a try, its pretty simple and my program written in java, pops out solution in less than a second.
    Give it a try, its pretty straightforward.
    simplycoder
    @All: I know that this is a logical puzzle and it would be a sad thing if we write a code for this to solve it.
    Did any one try to write a code for this for verification of answer?
    If not give it a try, its pretty simple and my program written in java, pops out solution in less than a second.
    Give it a try, its pretty straightforward.
    Code in the sense? I don't get you?
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    @Praveen: treat it as a problem in programing, and write code for it to print out who owns zebra and who drinks water.
    simplycoder
    @Praveen: treat it as a problem in programing, and write code for it to print out who owns zebra and who drinks water.
    Won't it be too complex?
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    @Praveen: no not at all.
    simplycoder
    @Praveen: no not at all.
    Gimme some idea, I'll test drive! 😁
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    @Praveen: The best way, is the way we solve it by paper and pencil. Some how realize this in data-structures and try the possiblities. Then use the machine power.
    Even a bad design should pop the answer in 10-15 mins.(which does beat me when I solved it by hand..πŸ˜” )
    simplycoder
    @Praveen: The best way, is the way we solve it by paper and pencil. Some how realize this in data-structures and try the possiblities. Then use the machine power.
    Even a bad design should pop the answer in 10-15 mins.(which does beat me when I solved it by hand..πŸ˜” )
    Well, solving by machines will be not more than a second or two! πŸ˜€
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    @Praveen: its possible only if you design it that way. But then if you just layout the rules, its bound to take lot of time.
    simplycoder
    @Praveen: its possible only if you design it that way. But then if you just layout the rules, its bound to take lot of time.
    Yeah, if we are clear on the logic, how long does a machine need to process them? Just transistors and logic gates right?
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    @Praveen: Yea you are correct, but its only possible if we are clear on the logic. Else we spend up writing highly inefficient code which will not be fast as we wish even if we use very fast machine,most of the work done by machine would be worth less and not required.
    simplycoder
    @Praveen: Yea you are correct, but its only possible if we are clear on the logic. Else we spend up writing highly inefficient code which will not be fast as we wish even if we use very fast machine,most of the work done by machine would be worth less and not required.
    I guess you are talking about scalability, in that case, yeah... πŸ˜”
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    I was talking more on optimization. Hint in writing such program is avoiding impossible conditions which can be gatherd from the clues.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Will this code solve problems of similar kinds?

I had come across another similar problem some time back.
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    @Dancer Engineer: It depends, I think such programs can solve any kind einstein puzzles or their derivatives but then we must be careful about clues, and more over the language.If I replace clues, I have to code them again in updated form. Say if norwegian lives in the last house in place of first house, then the riddle change, all I have to do is understand the clues and write them.

I can explain better if you can post the puzzle you came across.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    simplycoder
    @Dancer Engineer: It depends, I think such programs can solve any kind einstein puzzles or their derivatives but then we must be careful about clues, and more over the language.If I replace clues, I have to code them again in updated form. Say if norwegian lives in the last house in place of first house, then the riddle change, all I have to do is understand the clues and write them.

I can explain better if you can post the puzzle you came across.
    I had come across such a puzzle in a campus placement round. So I don't have the correct problem with the right clues.
    Though I had solved the problem, I don't know whether it was right or wrong.
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    @Dancer_Engineer: KK. Well if you are from CS/IT or interested in CS/IT, give this a try.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    simplycoder
    @Dancer_Engineer: KK. Well if you are from CS/IT or interested in CS/IT, give this a try.
    Yeah, I'm from CS.

But then a Code to such a puzzle!?
    Would it serve its purpose well?
    There could be changes in the clues, the order of the clues.
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    @Dancer Engineer: You can always modify it.
    Moreover it feels pretty good after the computer shows the solution.. πŸ˜€
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Nope. A Good code should give you the required output with the same valid input (in any order).
    So, you'll have to code it for all possibilities. πŸ˜€

simplycoder
    Moreover it feels pretty good after the computer shows the solution.. πŸ˜€
    Yes, I agree! πŸ‘
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    Changing of order wouldnt matter If I swap clue 1 and clue 5 it wouldnt make any difference. But if I the contents of puzzle change for example if coffee is drunk in blue house, then the puzzle itself changes, then we need to modify it.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    simplycoder
    But if I the contents of puzzle change for example if coffee is drunk in blue house, then the puzzle itself changes, then we need to modify it.
    Hmmm!
    So we will have to modify it everytime for minor changes too. πŸ˜”
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    @DancerEngineer: yea thats a sad part, but I dont think that we can avoid this until we teach computer to analyze the english language, to interpret the clues. I think at my current skill level, I am too far from this. However some one might just enlighten us and if this is possible, then we can sit back and dictate terms to computer and bang,it will do (Something similar to VICKI from small wonder!) But I am happy that we havent yet really reached to this state of computing as then world will experience highlevel recession and unemployment.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    How about Natural Language Processing? ( #-Link-Snipped-# )

simplycoder
    (Something similar to VICKI from small wonder!) But I am happy that we havent yet really reached to this state of computing as then world will experience highlevel recession and unemployment.
    VICKI 😁
    There's something called as VIKI too!!! Virtual Interactive Kinetic Intelligence from I, Robot! 😁

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Guys, Go to Google Translate - Set the left side as "Detect Language" and the right side as "Tamil". Now type in, TN - See what comes on the right...
Data transfer through optic fiber and cables is achieving newer speeds every day. I however believe that the future surely belongs to the wireless. It's apparent that the data transfer...
Engineers opting for masters in sciences; tell us which is your dream University and why? Also tell us which course you wish to enroll in πŸ˜€
Sony's come up with a latest development in their sugar-battery project; the engineers were successful creating a paper based battery: https://www.crazyengineers.com/sony-paper-battery-to-allow-better-use-of-toilet-paper-1480/ capable enough of powering a small electric motor. Does...
Bhagavad-gita As Is , is under the threat of being banned in Russian.​There is court hearing early monday morning, so we must all act by sunday.​please sign this petition online....