Which laptop to buy?

Hey friends, I have decided to buy Acer Timeline 5810t/4810t/3810t. Please share your views and comments about Acer laptop.

Replies

• wassup
    wassup
    OK dude, personally I hate Acer. I have owned Acer and few of my friends
    1) There battery sucks. 1 and your battery life drops to 20mins.
    2) there service is pretty bad in India
    3) Dont expect to get the spare parts easily. They are super expensive.
    So a BIG NO to ACER. Look for HP. And if you think of netbooks go for ASUS EEEPC
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Guys, I've been quite happy with Dell.
  • silenthorde
    silenthorde
    Absolutely BIGGIE, I'm more than satisfied with my dell too. The support they provide is simply awesome. Though this is ot the best time to buy a DELL laptop. I found that they have done away with most of the little accessories that would come with the system (priced of course).
  • divyaprakash001
    divyaprakash001
    DELL SUcks sum times with lots of probs and u need to call THEIR automated lines...SUCKs...go for HP
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    I have an HP notebook too and I must say, for the way I have treated my notebook its in pretty good shape. So I have never had to go to their service center.

But I have heard a lot of horror stories about HP's service. People's laptops being at the service center for well over a month, and even then something or the other is wrong with it!! But don't take my word for it, you should do a little digging on your own.

As far as dell is concerned, their notebooks are good. One big attraction is that you can customize your laptop before you buy it. For example, you want a longer battery life than what is given by the default battery. You can go in for an eight cell or more battery, which'll last for 6+ hrs (depending on use of course). And as far as the bells and whistles are concerned, go to a mall and they'll offer you certain standard accessories like optical mouse, head set, pen drive, carry case, etc..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    divyaprakash001
    DELL SUcks sum times with lots of probs and u need to call THEIR automated lines...SUCKs...go for HP
    I believe their support has improved a lot in recent times. I had a call with them 4 days ago and my problem was addressed in just few minutes. The representative was well informed.

I'm happy with their service. Ordered a desktop too.
  • ukanth19
    ukanth19
    Now a days TOSHIBA is the bestone.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    The_Big_K
    I'm happy with their service. Ordered a desktop too.
    *gasp* You ordered a Dell desktop? Why not assemble your own one? Dell desktops are not worth it, seriously.

Its interesting to see the disparity of opinions regarding laptop brands. For example, I've got an Acer and its running pretty well. I think as with the last time we discussed about laptops, the main factor is what exactly you intend to use the laptop for ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I have HP pavillion dv6000 and its working great for me since last 1.5 yrs.

-CB
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Me too happy with HP box (Pavillion series)... its kinda cool. specially look and feel, sound and speed (I have core 2 duo T6400 with 2.1 GHz speed).

Before asking for reviews always mention that what are your requirement. Then only you can get the fair inputs.

-CG
  • Prakash Bhargav
    Prakash Bhargav
    Hey guys thnks for the inputs...@Ash
    I completely agree with you. Discussion on laptops should be confined to which purpose its going to be used for. I am looking for a laptop which is best suited for travelling purposes. I don't want to carry a laptop along with a adapter. Some my freinds say Acer Timeline gives flat 8 hours of battery backup. What is the average backup of DELL/HP and I was recently looking at the new Acer Timeline. I noticed that the laptop is equipped with an Intel Core 2 Solo SU3500 processor, clocked at 1.4 GHz. Isn't this an extremely slow processor? Care to share on your inputs on that?
  • itchap
    itchap
    I think Acer is also not bad choice. Acer laptop's are cheaper in comparison with others.
    They have their service centres all over. And last but not least Hritik Roshan do the advirtisment for Acer Company.๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜›

For to know further about Acer Laptops read this review........

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Prakash Bhargav
    Prakash Bhargav
    Hey if I go for Core2Duo processor in Timeline won't they battery backup reduce? I am looking for a laptop which gives decent battery performance but should have decent processor speed too. I would like to know on which all factors battery backup depends upon Love to get your inputs.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    If battery backup is your major concern, then look for at least an 8-cell battery. As that will give you a decent backup. One of my friends had a thinkpad, it gave him 8 hrs of battery backup, even while playing games (nor freecell or solitare, something demanding!!) it gave him 6-7 hours at least!!

Most notebooks give you 6-cell batteries Don't go in for these as they will not give you long hours of operation that you need

Also, HP has battery packs available with which you can extend your battery life to around 16 hours or maybe more!! (HP has developed a notebook which gives 24hrs battery life with one such battery pack)
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    i would suggest that you choose out Dell Studio 15 ..its a good choice both in terms of specification & price
  • Prakash Bhargav
    Prakash Bhargav
    mad_scientist
    If battery backup is your major concern, then look for at least an 8-cell battery. As that will give you a decent backup. One of my friends had a thinkpad, it gave him 8 hrs of battery backup, even while playing games (nor freecell or solitare, something demanding!!) it gave him 6-7 hours at least!!
    Hey do laptops come with 8 cell battery. I mean as far as I know they come with 6 cell lithium ion battery or 16 cell. If yes which models provide 8 cell battery.๐Ÿ˜•
  • Prakash Bhargav
    Prakash Bhargav
    What are the different types of batteries available in the laptops?
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Batteries are available in 6, 8, 12 and 16 cell configurations (maybe more but these are all I know about)..Some thinkpads come with 8-cell batteries if I'm not mistaken...

As far as types of batteries is concerned, I think you only get Li-ion batteries, though I'm not 100% sure

Have a look here for 8-cell batteries

8 cell lithium ion laptop battery - Google Search
  • sachinweb
    sachinweb
    i will suggest that for price matter Acer will best buy but if you want high configuration laptop then HP, sony, dell company site
  • Prakash Bhargav
    Prakash Bhargav
    Hey thnks for your inputs. I did a lot of background search on battery backups and how it can be optimized. Soon I will share it with fellow CEans.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want to know about semi autonomous navigation system and about bayesian controller and Man Machine Interfaces(MMI) Please do tell me about GPS systems how do they work? Can I...
how antenna transmit a signal??? i mean antenna is just a loop of wire then how the power is radiate from this wire to the air.
hey engineers, We've released a video demo for what MST can do.. MST | Media Searching Technology - QREO A public BETA will be released by the time it will...
what is mobile IP? ๐Ÿ˜• plz explain with suitable example ..........
CREATE YOUR OWN PERSONAL DRIVE! Go to c drive Create a new folder ( say samp1 ) now go to command prompt and type subst z: c:\samp1 now go to...