What's New In IE9 [Officially Released]

Microsoft IE9 has come out of betas and RCs (release candidates) and now officially available for download from Microsoft Official IE9 Site, #-Link-Snipped-#. The new IE promises to kill the IE6 and promises a better Internet browsing experience. Given that IE is losing its share to popular browsers like Firefox and Chrome, Microsoft expects to strike back with IE9. Let's take a look at what's new in the new Internet Explorer:

New Interface:

[​IMG]

The new IE9 interface is surely inspired from the best of Chrome and Firefox. The first big change is in the location of the URL bar which now aligns with the tabs, occupying minimum vertical space on the screen. I like this feature a lot and makes browsing easier. One noticeable update is that the corners of the tabs are square and Microsoft claims that they made the change after beta testers requested for it. The toolbar on the top combines most of the settings and other tweaking buttons go provide optimum space for the web pages. The address bar is 'smart' in the sense that it gives suggestions from your bookmarks, history and relevance of the query you're typing in it.The tabs can be separated from window by dragging them out to form a new window - something that you can do in Chrome. The new tab also shows your most visited & bookmarked sites for easy access. I wonder why MS took so long to introduce this absolutely cool feature.

Start-Up Time:

I experienced considerable improvement in the software load time. I don't have any tests to claim the performance improvement, but the browser does seem to load faster than any of the IE versions in the past. The most welcome addition is 'hardware acceleration' which uses GPU to process graphics heavy web pages thus taking off the load from CPU and improving load times. This is most likely to improve your game demo and video preview experience.

IE9 introduces support to HTML5. It's definitely not 100% HTML5 as the HTML5 standards are not final yet. I expect lot of improvement in the support with future updates to IE9.

Application Short-cuts:

Now you can directly drop the Facebook URL to taskbar of the browser and IE9 will automatically add links to relevant pages of Facebook (Feed, Profile, Inbox etc.). Microsoft has partnered with several popular service providers to enable this feature. I personally do not use social networking a lot, but SN-Services addicts will surely find this feature very useful.

Performance Advisor:

Power users will find this feature very useful. Those obsessed with speed can now follow recommendations from the add-on performance adviser to get the most out of their browser. The performance adviser detects the programs, scripts and apps that slow down your browsing experience and provides a one-stop solution to turn them on or off.

Improved Download Manager:

Learning from FF & Chrome, Microsoft has included a nice download manager which is a central place to manage and track all your downloads. There's nothing new or revolutionary in it, but it's a feature we all got used to after FF introduced it.

InPrivate Browsing:

The feature that Chrome introduced is now available in IE9. You can easily switch to private browsing mode that lets you browse anonymously without any of the site collecting any information from you.

What's your take on IE9? Do you think it poses a serious competition to FF & Chrome?

Images Source: Lifehacker

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Bloomberg today reported that Microsoft's iPod killer, Zune is dead. The demand for Microsoft's audio player is dipping and Microsoft has decided to focus on what they're really good at...
Does your cell phone get discharged way too fast? Do the applications use up the battery too soon? Well, not to worry because the engineers from the University of Illinos...
If we want a better and pollution free future then we must think of the ELECTRIC VEHICLES (EVs) instead of the traditional automobiles which are a major cause of pollution....
EvoMouse is definitely cuter than your current computer mouse and may soon replace it. Celluon, the creators of EvoMouse say that it's an advance mouse that will soon replace the...
CEans, GstarCAD is recognized as the industry leading provider of 2D/3D CAD software. Gstarsoft, a company that develops CAD software for diversified CAD users and application developers. GstarCAD 2011 is...