What type of computing / problem solving do super computers do?

I've began believing that most of the supercomputers in the world are doing just one job - and that's predicting weather. Every supercomputer related news I read is associated with it being used to study weather. I'm wondering what type of calculations require petaFLOPs of computing power?

It could just be that the number of variable parameters in weather related calculations is large, adding to the complexity of problem. Does anyone know what type of computing these supercomputers do?

Replies

• robo_warrior
    robo_warrior
    it could also be used in predicting the up and downs in the economy of a country, problem related to DNA decoding,decryption of confidential files by military ,simulation of nuclear reactor,wind tunnel analysis
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    1. Solving Superconductor problems. #-Link-Snipped-#
    2. Virus structure and visualization: Home - NCSA
    3. In defence of use of supercomps by defence: #-Link-Snipped-#
    4. Space exploration: #-Link-Snipped-#
    5. Like TATA claims,'they also predict weather!': #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : I'm more interested in knowing why do the problems mentioned above require so much of computing power?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Mainly because of the huge number of data points to be processed. The calculations may be quite elementary but their numbers are huge. It takes enormous time to shift through a lot of data. Quite often much has to be dropped after processing because of detected irrelevance.
    Image processing of course needs enormous computational capacity. Fluid flow, aerodynamics and space simulations as well as some of the astronomical calculations need astronomical processing capacity as well.I am also told that a considerable amount of processing is for house keeping. That is to cross verify what is being done by the computer.
    Medical imaging like the 4d ultrasound needs a lot of computing power. I have myself seen in US a 4d real time image of my grand daughter yawning incongruously inside the womb of my daughter in the US, rather like this one:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That is quite interesting. 😀
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Hmm.. One application I can think of, for which any amount of astronomical computing power is welcome, is Cryptanalysis. There are many branches in cryptanalysis and I'm sure each will have it's own behemoth computing requirements. One area which I'm interested in is prime numbers. The largest known prime number currently is "The Largest Known Primes (database sumary)". What is the next prime number? Nobody knows, as of now. There are EFF Cooperative Computing Awards | Electronic Frontier Foundation being offered for anyone who could find the next big prime number with a particular number of digits.

Now, why are prime numbers so important? They play a crucial role in encryption, and by extension, prime numbers are very essential for internet security as a whole. Generally, in computing, multiplication is a lot easier than factorization. If you are given 2 numbers, you can multiply them very fast, no matter how big the numbers are. There are techniques like Fast Fourier Transform to do just that. But the reverse is not so easy. ie., given a large number, it's a very huge task to factorize them into prime factors. Again, this is important because, in encryption techniques, we use two large prime numbers and multiply them. Use them as keys. To break the encryption, we need to know wat exactly were the prime numbers that were used originally.

We can't just try to factorize them by brute force. Most encryption algos rely on the assumption that factoring large numbers is computationally unfeasible. But as computing power increases more and more, there are more chances of such factorization attempts succeeding. We would therefore need to use larger and larger primes in out encryptions, as general computing power increases.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Assalamu Alaikum , I have done Software Engineering From "MEHRAN UNIVERSITY OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY JAMSHORO SINDH PAKISTAN" . Nowadays i ams doing masters in the same subject , I...
We all know that strings have a null character in the end. The normal declaration is: char message[]; I am not talking about this. I am talking about string object...
I can complete my BE IT form mumbai university Can any course necessary after BE for getting good job ? I heard about CDAC Can CDAC is best course after...
Hundred Zeros is the re-branded version of zero dollar ebooks and it offers a large collection of free (legally free) to download ebooks. The website uses a responsive web layout,...
I never thought of knowing how the dictionaries define Engineering. So I searched and found this - https://www.thefreedictionary.com/engineering The application of scientific and mathematical principles to practical ends such as...