What to answer for hobby when you don't have anything in particular?

What to answer for hobby when you don't have anything in particular?

So this is a fairly common question in interviews .

I'd like your views on how to tackle the situation when you really don't have a hobby or don't know much about anything in detail and aren't really into any particular habit that you could name as a 'hobby'.

Also would it be prudent to start cultivating some 'hobby' that could help get through such situations? If so what would be your recommendations for the same.

The Hobby Dilemma: Addressing the Lack of a Specific Interest and the Benefits of Cultivating One

Everyone has been faced with the question at some point in their life: "What's your hobby?" This is a common query, particularly in interviews, social interactions, or casual conversations.

It might seem as if the world expects you to have a dedicated pastime. But what happens if you can't identify any particular activity you'd call a 'hobby'?

How should you navigate this predicament, and should you consider developing a hobby purely for answering this question?

The Illusion of the 'Lack' of a Hobby

Before we dive into the solutions, let's tackle the underlying assumption that you don't have a hobby.

In most cases, individuals who say they don't have hobbies are likely underestimating their interests.

Hobbies don't necessarily have to be conventional activities like reading, gardening, or playing an instrument. Hobbies can be any activity that you enjoy doing in your spare time.

If you enjoy spending time in nature, that could be a hobby. If you're fond of exploring new music or movies, that's a hobby too.

Even activities like 'people-watching' at a café or taking long, mindful walks can count as hobbies. The key is to recognize these activities and articulate them in a way that demonstrates your personality, interests, or skills.

Tackling the 'Hobby' Question

When asked about your hobbies in an interview or social setting, honesty is usually the best policy. However, if you truly feel you lack a hobby, here's how you can respond:

1. Show Self-Awareness: It's perfectly okay to say, "I don't have a specific hobby." However, follow it up by explaining that you have a wide range of interests and enjoy exploring new things. This shows self-awareness and open-mindedness.

2. Highlight Your Curiosity: Emphasize your curiosity and how it leads you to explore diverse topics or activities. This can demonstrate your versatility and love for learning.

3. Discuss Your Routine: Talk about how you usually spend your leisure time. Maybe you enjoy catching up on news, or perhaps you like to take long walks to relax. This gives an insight into your daily life and could resonate with the other person's experiences.

4. Professional Growth: If you spend a significant portion of your spare time enhancing your professional skills, mention that. For instance, if you're a software engineer who spends leisure time learning new programming languages, it's worth mentioning.

Cultivating a Hobby: Should You?

While there's no necessity to cultivate a hobby just for the sake of it, there are several benefits to having one.

Hobbies can help reduce stress, foster creativity, and enhance skills that can even prove useful in your professional life.

However, the most important thing is that a hobby should bring you joy and relaxation.

If it feels like a chore or obligation, it's not serving its purpose. When choosing a potential hobby, consider activities that resonate with your interests or personality.

1. Skills-Enhancing Hobbies: Activities like learning a new language, programming, or DIY projects can enhance your cognitive abilities and skills.

2. Creative Hobbies: Creative outlets like painting, writing, or playing an instrument can be therapeutic and foster innovative thinking.

3. Physical Hobbies: Activities such as yoga, dancing, or hiking can keep you physically active and boost your mental health.

4. Community-Engaging Hobbies: Activities like volunteering, participating in local events, or joining a club can provide social interaction and a sense of community.

5. Mindful Hobbies: Practices like meditation, gardening, or bird-watching can provide relaxation and a deeper connection with nature.

Just to conclude, it's entirely fine if you don't have a specific hobby. Everyone has their unique ways of spending their free time.

But if you do choose to cultivate a hobby, let it be a personal journey that brings you joy and growth rather than just a rehearsed answer for social situations.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Dastan4eva
    when you really don't have a hobby or don't know much about anything in detail
    It's not mandatory to have a hobby. If you don't have a hobby, you may tell the interviewers that you don't have a hobby. However, from my experience; it typically creates a not-so-good impression.

The fix is to tell the the interviewer that for major part of your life; you kept yourself engaged in routine and it's just now that you've realised that it's extremely important to have a hobby. You may then extend that by saying - "I'm actively in the process of finding a hobby. I'm beginning by reading books recommended by my friends...blah blah". Be prepared to talk about any book that you've read (if at all).

Another 'attention grabber' hobby you may state is "I like participating on online discussion forums. I've discovered this wonderful website called CrazyEngineers.com that has engineers from all over the world.......~ ~.... I recommend joining CrazyEngineers to every engineer I meet".

PS: The last paragraph sounds like an advertising rant; but it can actually be an impressive hobby. Do give it a try 😀
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Dastan4eva
    So this is a fairly common question in interviews . I'd like your views on how to tackle the situation when you really don't have a hobby or don't know much about anything in detail and aren't really into any particular habit that you could name as a 'hobby'.

Also would it be prudent to start cultivating some 'hobby' that could help get through such situations ?If so what would be your recommendations for the same.

Sorry for sounding vague but hope I've conveyed what i intent to
    We may not notice, but we all have hobbies. It is something you enjoy, apart from work.
    What's important is to be truthful and to put it in a positive manner to get a good impression.
    I once faced an interview, where when asked about my hobby, I told I like watching movies, It was a bold step on my part, but I told the truth, and soon there were multitude of follow up questions like:
    • Which genre of movies you like?
    • Which are the latest/best movies of that genre?
    • Who is your favourite actor, and why?
    • Describe any interesting incident of real life of your favourite actor?
    • What is the benefits of watching movies? ...etc
    I answered all those questions with full enthusiasm and I was selected.
    Perhaps I got lucky..because thinking back I feel it was a great risk to tell a hobby as watching movies, but I guess in this case, interviewer might have considered my honesty and outweighed my lack of a good hobby with it.
    The conclusion is : It is not always required to have a glittering hobby, but u should be able to justify and present your hobby in an honest and positive manner.

Hope it helps 😀
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    What if you asked a person about his/her hobby and s/he told there is none.
    What comes first in mind -
    "Either this person is embarrassed about his/her hobby or what, this person is dead. Don't you like to do something apart from work/course books".

In my view, if you are not prepared. Just tell whatever first comes in your mind. If it clicked with interviewer. Discussion going to be interesting otherwise just neutral. there is nothing -ve about telling any hobby.
  • Shreyas Sule
    Shreyas Sule
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Another 'attention grabber' hobby you may state is "I like participating on online discussion forums. I've discovered this wonderful website called CrazyEngineers.com that has engineers from all over the world.......~ ~.... I recommend joining CrazyEngineers to every engineer I meet".
    Talking about CE and listing it as hobby might set you apart. Be prepared to answer follow up questions about CE, what you are gaining from it and how it is different from normal discussion forums. I suggest you make a 3-4 point list of why being an active member on CE is your hobby by giving examples. Good luck.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Researchers have been using the technological ability to see really tiny objects for advancing the fields of medical science (detect cancer) as well as electronics (nanotechnology). In a new research...
There has been no significant innovation in the bearings design ever since Leonardo Da Vinci designed them about 5 centuries ago. Bearings are extremely important part of machines and have...
In context to neural networks and machine learning, what is meant by 'contaminated training set'?
What is that sound coming out of two wheeler after hault when they r go for long run ,its sounds like tic tic and then it slows down after some...
The word 'anthropomorphism' has a meaning that could seem 'creepy' to some. Assigning human characteristics to any not-human thing may sound like a plot from a thriller movie, but a...