What is the height of building?

This is a question from IIT Powai aptitude test. My friend could not find enough time to solve it. Me too took about 2 hours to solve it only to find that it is a 10th grade question. Here is some food for your brain. There is a building in some place which casts its shadow because of sun. After sometime, the sun rises by 30 degrees hence the shadow length decreases by 10 m. The sun may or may not be at the top of building. Can you find the height of building? I am giving the answer in advance because I will not be available to provide it. It is 17.32 m. Now finding the numerical value is easy. Your real job is to post the logic behind it. Rack your brains. All the best

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    No body could attempt it? Is it this tough?
  • Prashanth_p@cchi
    Prashanth_p@cchi
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Can you please provide the answer for this?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The answer is provided. You need to read the initiation post carefully.
  • Prashanth_p@cchi
    Prashanth_p@cchi
    Issue
    The answer is provided. You need to read the initiation post carefully.
    Logic?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Since the answer is provided, one can work backwards.
    It is also given that the sun may or may not be overhead, which implies that being overhead is not banned. Let us consider the sun overhead. The shadow will have zero length. What will be the angle less than 90 for which the shadow will be 10 m? Simple trigonometry tells that when the sun is 60 degrees above horizon the shadow will be 1/sqrt(3) times the height, in this case 10 m. The difference in the shadow length = 10 - 0 = 10 for an angle difference of 30 degrees.
    At all other angles the difference is a function of the angle and hence not defined.
  • graphite
    graphite
    Logic behind it is to use the 30-60-90 triangle theorem we which learned in 10 std. Using that we can calculate the height of building.
    Am I correct?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    graphite
    Logic behind it is to use the 30-60-90 triangle theorem we which learned in 10 std. Using that we can calculate the height of building.
    Am I correct?
    Looks like that.
    The logic is that the difference in shadow length of 10 m for a change in the angle of elevation of the sun of 30 degrees has a unique solution only for the initial angle of 60 degrees.
  • graphite
    graphite
    Ok Sir #-Link-Snipped-#
    i got it. Thank you.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    sounds like a trigonometry problem, but don't have the patience to solve it.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    THe answer is possible only under the assumption that sun is over head. IF we assume that, its a trignometry problem as #-Link-Snipped-# sir solved it.
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    Isolved it just now. But saw that it is already solved 😔
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    English-Scared
    THe answer is possible only under the assumption that sun is over head. IF we assume that, its a trignometry problem as #-Link-Snipped-# sir solved it.
    Ok, let me give an explanation. Here is the theorem.
    For a give selected angle, in a triangle whether right angled triangle or not, the length of side opposite side to the angle remains same until the angle remains unchanged.
    So, whether the sun is overhead or not, the length 10 m which is the side opposite to 30 deg angle remains same. Now by suitable assumptions, we say that the sun is overhead the building and calculate the height of building by using Pythagoras rule i.e. Bodhayan Prameya.
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    Issue

So, whether the sun is overhead or not, the length 10 m which is the side opposite to 30 deg angle remains same. Now by suitable assumptions, we say that the sun is overhead the building and calculate the height of building by using Pythagoras rule i.e. Bodhayan Prameya.
    What are the assumptions? And when the sun is right on top of the building , it won't cast its shadow. I solved the problem not assuming the sun overhead. As they have given in the beginning that the building casts a shadow.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Issue
    For a give selected angle, in a triangle whether right angled triangle or not, the length of side opposite side to the angle remains same until the angle remains unchanged.
    I do not understand this. The minimum length of the side opposite a 30 degree angle will be half the hypotenuse in a right triangle. If it is not a right triangle, the length can be anything up to infinity, depending on the other two angles.
  • Prashanth_p@cchi
    Prashanth_p@cchi
    Issue
    For a give selected angle, in a
    triangle whether right angled
    triangle or not, the length of side
    opposite side to the angle remains
    same until the angle remains
    unchanged.
    Oh! I dnt get ths. Shud dat angle in italics be changed to 'angle and the length of other two sides'??? I thnk dat shud make some meaning.
  • rahul tripathi
    rahul tripathi

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The lecturers in my college are teaching C++. But, there are a few forums which say that Python is better than C++. So, I need suggestions!! Shall I start learning...
I want to know how the multiple access techniques are implemented practically. I know the Theory behind TDMA FDMA and CDMA but i dont know how is the channel shared...
Ever came across a machine without its main functional component. well here is one such thing. it seems to have a lot of advantages,one is safety, and the other being...
i am going to do small design project so i am going to use free software version provided by autodesk community . so i have downloaded AUTODESK INVENTOR PROFESSIONAL to...
Name:Nathi spandana​​Engineering Trade:Electronics and communication​ Occupation:Unemployed(2012 pass out) 😔. will find a job very soon 😀 Hobbies & Interests:Singing,Reading books..(My Fav book: THE 7HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE by Stephen...