What is the function of the crankshaft in the engine?

a. It controls the movement of the pushrods to open the inlet and exhaust valves.
b. It transfers the power produced during the combustion cycle, out of the engine.
c. It is responsible for the movement of the piston.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# You can refer to this thread: Function of Crank Shaft
  • akakash
    akakash
    #-Link-Snipped-# ---option b) and c) are relavant but a) need not be relavant
    because nowadays inlet valve is being controlled by ecu (i mean the timing)
    the timing of opening of inlet valve deponds on many factors such as
    1--mass flow of air for the engine at particular rpm(measured by MAP sensor)
    i.e if engine runs at low rpm it requires less fuel mixture( inlet valve timing gets decreased)
    if the engine is at higher rpm obviously it require more fuel mixture within short span of time
  • Sharfudeen Mohamed Ibrahim
    Sharfudeen Mohamed Ibrahim
    [​IMG]
    Option b is exactly what you're asking for. Because, without the crankshaft the energy cannot be transferred from piston to the gear box and thus the combustion cycle cannot be occur.
  • Kamlesh Vora
    Kamlesh Vora
    All three options are correct as Crankshaft is a reckon of any Engine.
    Let me explain it with points below:
    *Crankshaft are designed to have counter weight which helps to balance the rotation. It also balance the harmonic oscillation of act of shaft.
    *It converts reciprocating motions into rotating motion with the help of Connecting rod piston and Pin.
    *It transfer POWER from piston to Flywheel, which helps to use further in Automobile systems.
    *It is the main source of all rotating parts in Engine.
    *Crankshaft connects with oil gear pump in sump, water pump, fan(in old), Valves(Timing gear) via either belts or chain even in cars with ECU.
    *the design of Crankshaft and Camshaft on Valves are HIGHLY responsible to get correct firing order.

And for more MCQ question read RB Gupta Automobile Engineering. They have good content.

Thanks!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

a. To prevent air-fuel mixture leakage from the crankshaft chamber to the oil sump. b. To prevent air-fuel mixture leakage from the combustion chamber to the oil sump. c. To...
In my java project i am getting one error that jaaf-core-1.03.00.jar is missing but I am not able to get it anywhere. Please share the link if someone finds it...
Dear All, I want to know that how it is possible to convert a 1000VA(say) UPS into a voltage stabilizer. As we also know that UPS O/P voltage is constant...
I have just cleared rrb assistant exam. Interview will be in the next week. I dont know how to answer why banking after btech.. can any one please help me..
Bluetooth SIG has revealed the plans for the technology that has changed our lives. Bluetooth SIG, the team that brings us Bluetooth has informed that in 2016, Bluetooth Smart will...