CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@jaspal rautela • 10 Jun, 2012
what is function of crankshaft? and what application of this?
@saravanan4 • 10 Jun, 2012 The main function of crank shaft is conversion of reciprocating motion into rotary motion . The piston reciprocates due to heat developed inside the engine, this motion is turned into rotary by crank shaft, it transmit the power developed in the engine that is indicated power to the flywheel, the flywheel serves as a energy reservoir, the end of crank shaft will be connected to cam shaft that is push rod and rocker arm to operate the opening and closing of inlet and exhaust valves
@jaspal rautela • 11 Jun, 2012 i am not understand that the function of crankshaft?
@zaveri • 18 Jun, 2012
jaspal rautela
i am not understand that the function of crankshaft?
it is the heart of the engine.

it receives the power from the piston and makes it available to the end user of the engine in the form of rotational motion, and torque.
@nagusrirama • 18 Jun, 2012
saravanan4
The main function of crank shaft is conversion of reciprocating motion into rotary motion . The piston reciprocates due to heat developed inside the engine, this motion is turned into rotary by crank shaft, it transmit the power developed in the engine that is indicated power to the flywheel, the flywheel serves as a energy reservoir, the end of crank shaft will be connected to cam shaft that is push rod and rocker arm to operate the opening and closing of inlet and exhaust valves
in this process pressure is developed and this pressure moves the piston down
@nibhani • 20 Jun, 2012 function of crankshaft is to convert reciprocating motion of connecting rod in to roatary motion...u can see it cleary in the model of i.c engine..
@zaveri • 25 Jun, 2012
nibhani
function of crankshaft is to convert reciprocating motion of connecting rod in to roatary motion...u can see it cleary in the model of i.c engine..
it is not the reciprocating motion of the connecting rod, but the piston.

as for the connecting rod, only one third of its length, starting from the piston-pin end, executes reciprocating motion. the remaining two-thirds of its length rotates.
@nibhani • 25 Jun, 2012 ok...
zaveri
it is not the reciprocating motion of the connecting rod, but the piston.

as for the connecting rod, only one third of its length, starting from the piston-pin end, executes reciprocating motion. the remaining two-thirds of its length rotates.
@nibhani • 25 Jun, 2012
nibhani
ok...
ok i got it...but genrally we say that the motion of connecting rod is reciprocating..but u r also right...
@dhananjay pathak • 26 Jun, 2012
jaspal rautela
its main function is to transmission of the rotations of crank to wheels of the automobile through gear box.
@piyusheddie • 28 Jun, 2012
jaspal rautela

Jaspal

In ordinary words, the main function of crankshaft is to convert up n down or too n fro (reciprocating motion) motion of piston into the rotary motion so that we can turn the wheels. Moreover crankshaft also helps in balancing the engine with he help of weights. The crank is connected to the piston with the connecting rod in between. Rotary motion of crank provides power to transmission unit (gearbox) wid the help of clutch or fluid coupling (torque convertor on automatic transmission) further which gives power to wheels wid the help of drive shafts.
@John John • 12 Jul, 2018 • 1 like

i don't  understood the function 

13.4k views

Related Posts

@Ankita Katdare · Jun 3, 2015

There are many websites around that follow the model of FreeCharge. I have used the website many times and have received really good deals for recharging my phone through them....
5.9k views

@Ankita Katdare · Aug 15, 2014

Mahindra Two Wheelers India has launched a new ride for the Indian roads with Mahindra Rodeo UZO 125. Priced at Rs. 47,957 - the new top-end two wheeler packs inside...
2.4k views

@shravani ojha · Mar 16, 2012

i want to do a PLC based project in my major plz help me out
3.5k views

@Rashmi Yadav · Jul 15, 2014

hello,sir, Can you give me some creative idea for railway project..?
3.1k views

@zaveri · Jul 16, 2012

can anyone suggest a text book for this subject, by a foreign author ?
5.5k views