CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@SheldonCooper • 18 Jan, 2012 • 2 likes
Can anyone tell me what is the difference between De Morgan's theorem and Principle of Duality?
@Kaustubh Katdare • 18 Jan, 2012 Never thought about this. Will have to look for Principle of Duality, will have to revise it once it before I post something useful. Can someone help in the mean time?
@nareshkumar6539 • 19 Jan, 2012
SheldonCooper
Can anyone tell me what is the difference between De Morgan's theorem and Principle of Duality?
Principle of Duality means (x,y,+,.,0,1)=>(x,y,.,+,1,0)to get a duality of an expression you need to convert + to . and viceversa ,0 to 1 and vice versa and varibles write as it is(varibles not complemented).If one gate follows some operation then its duality also follow the same operation.
Eg:Duality of OR operation is AND.OR follows commutative AND also follows the commutative.
Duality of NAND is NOR.
De Morgan's theorem it converts Universal realization into Basic realization and vice versa.
NAND-NAND(universal realization) to AND-OR(Basic realization) according to principle of duality
NOR-NOR(universal realization) to OR-AND(Basic realization)
@SheldonCooper • 21 Jan, 2012 What is the difference between X,Y and 0,1? Finally x and y will contain 1 and 0 won't they?
Consider following example-
X+Y=0 (OR gate so both X and Y should be 0)
now take the dual of it according to you
X.Y=1 (is it correct?)
But here to satisfy AND gate the values should be 1 and 1.That is X and Y got complemented values.
Now don't say you put x and y as it is (Symbols) but while putting their values you put them as complements.i.e.0 in place of 1 and vice versa.
Just explain it further.I have no intention of mocking you.😀
@SheldonCooper • 28 Jan, 2012 Is it the case that after applying De-Morgans theorem,the value of the function remains same.But after applying Principle of duality the value changes?
i.e.Dual of a function is not same as the original function but if De-Morgans theorem is applied on the original function then it is just another representation of the original function?
@Nick Naym • 08 Mar, 2012 • 1 like
SheldonCooper
Duality is a metatheorem: If you prove a theorem, you've also proven its dual. De Morgan's Theorem is a tool for manipulating expressions.
2.9k views

Related Posts

@Handsome hari · May 5, 2013

I couldn't study engineering mechanics..so tell some suggestions to study mechanics in easy way....!!!! then,how to understand that subject???
6.8k views

@muddysahil · Apr 27, 2011

i am confuse which branch should i take electronic, mechatronics or automobile. please help me with the career options.
3.2k views

@Saijayadeep · Dec 23, 2013

Hello CEans,One or the other time we come across good websites to practice aptitude,verbal,English and generally asked competitive questions(Written Test)..shall we make a list of the websites that will help...
39.7k views

@Sahithi Pallavi · Aug 1, 2011

What is the placement procedure for Cisco? Could someone share the details of it? I have heard the Eligibility is - 1. 70% aggregate marks or (equivalent scores) throughout in...
4.1k views

@Piyush George · Jul 7, 2015

My CCAT 2015 ranks are section a+b : 847 I want to go for pgdmc I want to opt cdac noida as the centre. Can anyone tell me how is...
3k views