What is the difference between De Morgan's theorem and Principle of Duality?

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between De Morgan's theorem and Principle of Duality?

Sure.

De Morgan's Theorem and the Principle of Duality are fundamental concepts in the field of Boolean Algebra. Let's break down each of these concepts and understand how they differ.

1. De Morgan's Theorem: Named after the British mathematician Augustus De Morgan, this theorem states that the complement of the sum of two variables is equal to the product of their individual complements, and vice versa. In other words, negating a conjunction of two statements is equivalent to the disjunction of their negations, and negating a disjunction of two statements is equivalent to the conjunction of their negations. Mathematically, these are represented as:

- For AND operation: (A AND B)' = A' OR B'

- For OR operation: (A OR B)' = A' AND B'

Where A and B are boolean variables, ' denotes the complement (NOT operation), AND represents the logical conjunction, and OR denotes the logical disjunction. This theorem is essential in simplifying logical expressions, particularly in the field of digital electronics and computer architecture.

2. Principle of Duality: The Principle of Duality in Boolean algebra states that every algebraic expression deducible from the postulates of Boolean algebra remains valid if the operators OR (+) and AND (.) are interchanged, and the elements 0 and 1 are interchanged. In simple terms, it means that you can obtain a dual expression of any Boolean expression by swapping ORs for ANDs and vice versa, as well as swapping 0s and 1s. For example, the dual of the expression (A + B) . C = A + (B . C) is (A . B) + C = A . (B + C).

The key difference between the two can be stated as follows:

- De Morgan's Theorem is used to simplify and transform logical expressions by negating them and changing the operators.

- The Principle of Duality, on the other hand, doesn't involve negation. It's about transforming expressions by swapping ANDs and ORs, and 0s and 1s.

It's crucial to note that while De Morgan's laws are valid for any logic system that satisfies the laws of Boolean algebra, the Principle of Duality is more specific to Boolean algebra itself. Both of them are fundamental tools for simplifying and manipulating logical expressions, used extensively in computer science and digital electronics.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Never thought about this. Will have to look for Principle of Duality, will have to revise it once it before I post something useful. Can someone help in the mean time?
  • nareshkumar6539
    nareshkumar6539
    SheldonCooper
    Can anyone tell me what is the difference between De Morgan's theorem and Principle of Duality?
    Principle of Duality means (x,y,+,.,0,1)=>(x,y,.,+,1,0)to get a duality of an expression you need to convert + to . and viceversa ,0 to 1 and vice versa and varibles write as it is(varibles not complemented).If one gate follows some operation then its duality also follow the same operation.
    Eg:Duality of OR operation is AND.OR follows commutative AND also follows the commutative.
    Duality of NAND is NOR.
    De Morgan's theorem it converts Universal realization into Basic realization and vice versa.
    NAND-NAND(universal realization) to AND-OR(Basic realization) according to principle of duality
    NOR-NOR(universal realization) to OR-AND(Basic realization)
  • SheldonCooper
    SheldonCooper
    What is the difference between X,Y and 0,1? Finally x and y will contain 1 and 0 won't they?
    Consider following example-
    X+Y=0 (OR gate so both X and Y should be 0)
    now take the dual of it according to you
    X.Y=1 (is it correct?)
    But here to satisfy AND gate the values should be 1 and 1.That is X and Y got complemented values.
    Now don't say you put x and y as it is (Symbols) but while putting their values you put them as complements.i.e.0 in place of 1 and vice versa.
    Just explain it further.I have no intention of mocking you.😀
  • SheldonCooper
    SheldonCooper
    Is it the case that after applying De-Morgans theorem,the value of the function remains same.But after applying Principle of duality the value changes?
    i.e.Dual of a function is not same as the original function but if De-Morgans theorem is applied on the original function then it is just another representation of the original function?
  • Nick Naym
    Nick Naym
    SheldonCooper
    Duality is a metatheorem: If you prove a theorem, you've also proven its dual. De Morgan's Theorem is a tool for manipulating expressions.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Ok, quickly I'll just take 150 seconds from you. 😁 One of my friends had once passed around a sheet of paper (divided into 2 columns) during a lecture and...
SRPThis concerns with the scope, application, seminars, conferences, research and anything else that is related to the field of Nanoscience and Technology.WOULD ANYBODY PLEASE LET ME KNOW ABOUT THE SEMINARS...
The next version of Internet Protocol will officially go live all over the globe on June 6, 2012. If you remember, June 8 was declared last year as the World...
I'm not a big fan of QR codes, but it seems that Gmail is testing QR code based login mechanisms. The tests aren't available now, but mashable has a video...
hi guyz, i'm a beginner in this field but very much interested in it,so can anyone say wat builds the foundation of robotics??