What is Plastic Engineering?

.... a very less talked of Engineering Branch.

We all know about plastic. But very less is known about what goes behind the creating of plastics that is ruling our lives since it's invention.
A lot of research is going in this field, as to how we can make the plastic products more Eco-friendly and re-utilizable.

Plastics engineering
encompasses the processing, design, development, and manufacture of plastics products.

The nature of plastic materials and the properties like outdoor weatherability, thermal properties such as upper use temperature, electrical properties, barrier properties, and resistance to chemical attack, all pose unique challenges to an Engineer.

The different fields where a Plastics Engineer could specialize are:

• Medical plastics
  • Automotive plastics
  • Recycled or recyclable plastics
  • Biodegradable plastics ....and many more to come.

This can be a great trade of engineering, for engineers aspiring to get their hands dirty in something different. 😉

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Found this video that details the opportunities in plastic engineering field. Have a look.

• callyD
    callyD
    Good info there. It's true that it's a very less talked of engineering branch.
  • Eggie
    Eggie
    AbraKaDabra
    .... a very less talked of Engineering Branch.

We all know about plastic. But very less is known about what goes behind the creating of plastics that is ruling our lives since it's invention.
    A lot of research is going in this field, as to how we can make the plastic products more Eco-friendly and re-utilizable.

Plastics engineering encompasses the processing, design, development, and manufacture of plastics products.

The nature of plastic materials and the properties like outdoor weatherability, thermal properties such as upper use temperature, electrical properties, barrier properties, and resistance to chemical attack, all pose unique challenges to an Engineer.

The different fields where a Plastics Engineer could specialize are:

• Medical plastics
    • Automotive plastics
    • Recycled or recyclable plastics
    • Biodegradable plastics ....and many more to come.
    This can be a great trade of engineering, for engineers aspiring to get their hands dirty in something different. 😉
    Very true what you wrote, especially and I quote "ruling our lives since it's invention".
    One can ask; but is it necessary that it rules our lives in so many ways. My answer would be yes and no. Yes when it comes to medical plastics, automotive plastics, biodegradable etc., but NO when it comes to packaging. Nowadays it's almost impossible to buy, say hardware items without them being packed in nice looking, oversized plastic blisterpacks. To me that is a waste of a limited natural resource.
    I therefore propose a science that specializes in the "non-use" or minimal use (make the packs such that they just fit the item) of plastics for packaging of certain (and there will be a massive amount) items.
    It would be much better for the environment and save natural resources. Of course Plastic Engineering should go on but please consider the above.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I am normally a peace loving man. But one thing that makes me see red is plastic packaging of all kinds with a special certificate of demerit to blister packs. They are just a blister. Quite often I used to hear random popping noises in our office floor. One day I tracked the source. Our bored receptionist keeps a stock of blister packs brought in by the couriers and pops the bubbles for want of something better to do. Hope no manufacturer hears of this and tries to market this in fancy packing as an 'Executive Stress Reliever'.
    Pea pods and bean pods make good shock absorbing packing and biodegradable. Unfortunately they are insect prone. That is no reason not to look at alternatives to plastic packaging.
  • kingdavid
    kingdavid
    Good information. I am trying choice these field after my 12th.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Plastics have alot of potential to replace metals in many applications. We just need to move away from the old thinking. Technology now allows us to engineer plastics to suit a specific application.
  • Chinu1
    Chinu1
    Its nice and new branch of engineering... thank you

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I tried to make a little parody of the Song "Waving Flag" by Knaan, after I couldn't stop listening to it since the World Cup 2010 Inauguration. When I get...
hello every one....i am planing to conduct a techfest in our colg so plz any one can help by suggesting some events,...........
CEans, CE takes pride in having members like CEan View Profile: optimystix - CrazyEngineers Forum who always go that extra mile to make things happen and help others. I had...
hello everyone, i have just joined in this forum and i am feeling very excited about it as i find this forum very helpful. coming back to what i wanted...
Can someone tell me about Avionics and its scope?I am studying btech ece..so am i eligible for it?