CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@Morningdot Hablu • 10 Nov, 2010
I hope I am asking this in the right section. I came across the term "baseline wandering". I am unable to understand it from the books. Can someone explain what it means? It would be great if you do so using examples. Thanks in advance!
@makru921 • 10 Nov, 2010 Baseline wander is actually the effect where the base axis(X-axis) of any signal viewed on a screen(like CRO) appears to 'wander' or move up and down rather than be straight. This causes the entire signal to shift from its normal base. I believe it is caused due to improper electrodes (like rusted, or broken). It is very prominent while taking the ECG (Electro Cardio Gram) of the heart and thus may cuase incorrect results, so they take extra precautions in the machine to eliminate the baseline wander by using different techniques.

Hope my explanation is clear..😀
@Leo • 10 Nov, 2010 That was quit nice piece of explanation and of course it happens due to electrode malfunction. In simplest words,
Baseline Wanderring is repeatation of improprer pattern on screen due to electrode malfunction.
@Morningdot Hablu • 11 Nov, 2010 Thanks buddy i got it.
@Sahithi Pallavi • 11 Nov, 2010 Neatly explained makru!
I saw CRO in my EDC lab, didn't got a chance to use. By the way what is meant by CRO?
@silverscorpion • 11 Nov, 2010 CRO stands for Cathode Ray Oscilloscope. 😀
@Sahithi Pallavi • 12 Nov, 2010 Thanks Scorpion. 😀
@whiz.kid.aniket • 13 Nov, 2010 Nice Info Makru!
Keep sharing!
@think • 13 Nov, 2010
makru921
Baseline wander is actually the effect where the base axis(X-axis) of any signal viewed on a screen(like CRO) appears to 'wander' or move up and down rather than be straight. This causes the entire signal to shift from its normal base. I believe it is caused due to improper electrodes (like rusted, or broken). It is very prominent while taking the ECG (Electro Cardio Gram) of the heart and thus may cuase incorrect results, so they take extra precautions in the machine to eliminate the baseline wander by using different techniques.

Hope my explanation is clear..😀
didn't knew this 1 thanks for the beautiful explanation
@4M4N • 13 Nov, 2010 The severity of the baseline wander is dependent on the HPF cut-on frequency and the PSD of the signal around DC.
The output of the high-pass filter will have equal areas (a=b) above and below zero volts.
If the pulse repetition frequency is low compared with the time constant of the input circuit, we'll see some "droop" in the waveform, indicating the discharging of the input capacitor
@xinyue kou • 16 Mar, 2020

Actually,I don't konw why "baseline shift " happen with the transport of constant 0/1 in network information transportation?

22.7k views

Related Posts

@CIVILPRINCESS · Feb 3, 2010

Buildings are the Worst Killers than the Earthquake. Earthquakes don’t kill; badly built houses do. Neglecting earthquake hazards in the design of buildings will not be fair designing. I got...
1.4k views

@Radhika Deshpande · Jul 12, 2011

B.E/B.TECH DEGREE EXAMINATION, APRIL/MAY 2011 Six Semester COMPUTER SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING CS 2029- ADVANCED DATABASE TECHNOLOGY (Regulation 2008) Time:Three hours maximum: 100 marks Answer ALL questions PART-A(10*2=20 marks) 1. what...
1.3k views

@Ambarish Ganesh · Sep 11, 2012

1. In a class composed of x girls and y boys what part of the class is composed of girls ? A. y/(x + y) B. x/xy C. x/(x +...
1.3k views

@rpower · Nov 22, 2009

Hi guys What is the difference between flywheel and governor? Well, I know that flywheel is a wheel which stores and releases energy and avoid fluctutations in speed and governor...
9k views

@Vinodh Pancha · Jan 21, 2012

Why there is no Circuit breaker in Bus PT feeder?? In our system, interlock is given such that if any fault in Bus PT, then it opens the Incoming Bus...
2.2k views