View Feed
group-icon
Coffee Room
Discuss anything here - everything that you wish to discuss with fellow engineers.
12940 Members
Join this group to post and comment.

What is baseline wandering?

I hope I am asking this in the right section. I came across the term "baseline wandering". I am unable to understand it from the books. Can someone explain what it means? It would be great if you do so using examples. Thanks in advance!
makru921
makru921 • Nov 10, 2010
Baseline wander is actually the effect where the base axis(X-axis) of any signal viewed on a screen(like CRO) appears to 'wander' or move up and down rather than be straight. This causes the entire signal to shift from its normal base. I believe it is caused due to improper electrodes (like rusted, or broken). It is very prominent while taking the ECG (Electro Cardio Gram) of the heart and thus may cuase incorrect results, so they take extra precautions in the machine to eliminate the baseline wander by using different techniques.

Hope my explanation is clear..😀
Leo
Leo • Nov 10, 2010
That was quit nice piece of explanation and of course it happens due to electrode malfunction. In simplest words,
Baseline Wanderring is repeatation of improprer pattern on screen due to electrode malfunction.
Thanks buddy i got it.
Neatly explained makru!
I saw CRO in my EDC lab, didn't got a chance to use. By the way what is meant by CRO?
silverscorpion
silverscorpion • Nov 11, 2010
CRO stands for Cathode Ray Oscilloscope. 😀
Thanks Scorpion. 😀
Nice Info Makru!
Keep sharing!
think
think • Nov 13, 2010
makru921
Baseline wander is actually the effect where the base axis(X-axis) of any signal viewed on a screen(like CRO) appears to 'wander' or move up and down rather than be straight. This causes the entire signal to shift from its normal base. I believe it is caused due to improper electrodes (like rusted, or broken). It is very prominent while taking the ECG (Electro Cardio Gram) of the heart and thus may cuase incorrect results, so they take extra precautions in the machine to eliminate the baseline wander by using different techniques.

Hope my explanation is clear..😀
didn't knew this 1 thanks for the beautiful explanation
4M4N
4M4N • Nov 13, 2010
The severity of the baseline wander is dependent on the HPF cut-on frequency and the PSD of the signal around DC.
The output of the high-pass filter will have equal areas (a=b) above and below zero volts.
If the pulse repetition frequency is low compared with the time constant of the input circuit, we'll see some "droop" in the waveform, indicating the discharging of the input capacitor

Share this content on your social channels -