What exactly is 'Patriotism'?

This post (not necessarily a debate topic as such) is inspired from a comment left on my personal blog.

I believe patriotism is grossly misunderstood term. I don't want to drive this discussion in any one direction. I welcome all views.

What is Patriotism according to you?

Replies

• raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Patriotism is the feeling of belonging towards your nation.It is love which you can not describe, you can just experience it and everyone experiences in a different way. It is the love for your nation and can be expressed in many ways, not just by joining the forces.

patriotism does not require one to agree with everything that his country does and would actually promote analytical questioning in a quest to make the country the best it possibly can be.
    He is a poor patriot whose patriotism does not enable him to understand how all men everywhere feel about their altars and their hearthstones, their flag and their fatherland.
    Harry Emerson Fosdick

"True patriotism doesn't only consist in loving an ideal country, but โ€” in loving, studying and working for the real elements of the country that are its land, community, people and all their wealth."
    Boleslaw Prus

Men love their country, not because it is great, but because it is their own.
    Seneca

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.
    Mark Twain
    And Biggie here are the same words you meant I suppose.

Gentlemen have talked a great deal of patriotism. A venerable word, when duly practised. But I am sorry to say that of late it has been so much hackneyed about that it is in danger of falling into disgrace. The very idea of true patriotism is lost, and the term has been prostituted to the very worst of purposes.
    • Robert Walpole in a speech given to the House of Commons in 1741.
    Yes many people have forgotten the meaning of patriotism and are trying to serve their own purpose. But we have to support our nation and make it the best. This should be the aim of every patriot. And yes, Patriotism does not mean, thinking, my nation is the best the rest are shit. A true patriot never disrespects other nations and it's culture.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Patriotism to me is!! to be ohnest towards my nation,and identify my nations strenght and weaknesses and working towards improving upon them.
    Patriotism to me is a mix of Passion,Pride,Sencebility,Soberity,tough
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Wel

According to me Patriotism is one's extreme love for his/her country. It means always giving respect to your country above others. Always looking at the positive and good points about your country rather than comparing its negative points with other countries.

Patriotism is buying a "Flag" from street boys selling during traffic jams in 10 Rs before Independenc Day or Republic Day and then feeling proud of it.๐Ÿ˜€

Patriotism is giving repect to your National Anthem the way Japanese people give.๐Ÿ˜€

Patriotism is always saying good things about your country in front of other nation's poeple rather than accepting own country's negative/bad things by them.

Lot more things about Patriotism, will keep on adding.๐Ÿ˜
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Sarav's points are good.
    Shalini's points are good too but I am afraid I disagree with her points. But I guess it is your own interpretation.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    raj87verma88
    Sarav's points are good.
    Shalini's points are good too but I am afraid I disagree with 2 of her points. But I guess it is your own interpretation.
    Afraid ๐Ÿ˜•. Be bold if you disgaree with my points. Come on tell which are those points and debate on it.๐Ÿ˜‰
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    That, my dear, was just a figure of speech. I won't disclose the points as I am in no mood for a debate especially on such a sensitive topic. Your views have been developed since long and so has mine in different environments. Both of us will be unwilling to yield and the debate will go on endlessly. I would just say this that your perception of patriotism does not match mine. But like I said in an earlier post, each interprets things in his/her own way.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    @shalini : your defination of patriotism is hard to understand,first of all,buying a flag doesnt mean you are a patriot respecting a flag does,why should i learn patriotism from the japanese,we also have our own culture and history to learn from,its true to you defend your country but accept its weaknesses too,everything should have a critic and also rectify those mistakes,and foremost i can necer compare my country its my motherland,but i will definately try to implement the good of other countrie here!!!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Ash's definition of patriotism:

The sincerity to love and sacrifice for your country, not to turn your back on it when it needs you (and your contributions) and seek to make it a better place for your fellow country mates.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    ash
    Ash's definition of patriotism:

The sincerity to love and sacrifice for your country, not to turn your back on it when it needs you (and your contributions) and seek to make it a better place for your fellow country mates.
    Now this is a good definition. Accurate, precise, to the point.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

๐Ÿ˜ Hello everyone. This is Neha ,IT Engineer.
hello friends.................... I m in 6th sem of b.tech in IT.I hav my 6 months training in 7th sem in Industry. Pls tell me some IT companies that provide such...
I am using mysql on ubuntu 8.04 LTS.I have a file with .sql extension.It has some queries for creating tables..How can I execute this script?
In my Laptop , its showing a warning of "Low disk space on C Drive.Its running out of space." and its showing 157MB of free space in C Drive. I...
After 26/11, And all dirty politics games..What all of you think?? Should we give vote to Illiterate MLA or Educated MLA is must..๐Ÿ˜• . On one hand, we have Narendra...