Whaat will happen if ...

Hey ,

Answer to this question guys........

What will hap if a Voltage source of 2V, a Current source of 1A and a resistor of 2 Ohms connected in parallel..........

Find out the current flowing though 2 Ohm Resistor.......

Please explain proper statement.......

Regards,
VIPUL

Replies

• Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Re: What will Happened?????

No current will flow through the resister.
  • reachrkata
    reachrkata
    A current of 1A will flow through the resistor. The voltage drop across the 2 Ohm resistor balances the 2V voltage source and therefore no current is drawn from the voltage source. Only the 1A source supplies all the current to the resistor.

Method of analysis - Superposition theorem.

"Only" in this example, the presence of the voltage source is of no use.

-Karthik
  • nsiva007
    nsiva007
    Current will be 1A, But i disagree with the previous explanation.. By superposition theorem you have to Open Circuit the Current source and Short Circuit the voltage source one at a time keeping the other intact,Thus here first open the circuit the current source keeping voltage source intact ,now 2v is dropped across 2 ohm R,thus current is 1A,next short the voltage source keeping current source intact,now you all know current will not flow across the 2 ohm resistor...! it will flow in the closed loop with no resistance...! SO here the current source is of no use...! According to superposition theorem...!
  • reachrkata
    reachrkata
    Exactly. But what you need to understand is that, the superposition theorem is just a mathematical method of simplifying analysis of circuits with multiple sources. It does not give the actual physical picture. The actual picture is got when we add the results of the superposition theorem. When you do the same thing at the node where the 2 sources and the resistor join and find the currents at the node, you will see that the current from the voltage source is 0 (adding the results of the superposition theorem). The current from the 1A source of course is 1A and the current into the load is 1A (also by superposition). Therefore it is actually the current source that supplies the load.

In fact thinking intuitively also, a voltage source is something that can source or sink any current, but will maintain the voltage. Similarly also a current source can have any voltage drop across it, but will always supply constant current. Therefore to maintain 2V across the 2Ohm resistor, the complete 1A current from the current source has to go into the 2Ohm only, consequently no current from the voltage source is drawn.

-Karthik
    😁
  • nsiva007
    nsiva007
    But this problem depends on current direction also right....! Now consider 2V with + polarity facing up (i can't draw circuits here),consider current in down direction...! By super position theorem current on load here is 1A, but considering what you say the entire current is supplied by current source and thus we have a different current direction.. And kirchoff's law is not satisfied for outer loop containing 2V source and 2 ohm resistance....!
    Can you explain this....!

-Siva πŸ˜€
  • reachrkata
    reachrkata
    What you have to realise here is that KVL should not be applied along with Superposition. These are two separate tools of analysis never to be mixed up.
    Now, if you apply KVL (note without superposition) to the two loops that you said - Loop 1 with the 2V source and the 2Ohm resistor (say loop current I1) and Loop2 with the !A current source and the 2Ohm resistor (say loop current I2). You will get the following loop equation - I1+I2 = 1A
    But we already know that I2 = 1A because it is from the current source. So I1 has to be 0, that is no current is drawn from the voltage souce.

For the example that you gave with the Voltage source positive upwards and the current source direction downwards, when you apply the same principles (superpostion or KVL, but independantly), you will see that the voltage source will give 2A, of which 1A goes through the current source and the remaining 1A through the resistor.

Therefore you see, I never meant that just because a current source is there, it is the dominant source. It all depends on the circuit construction.

-Karthik
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    I am scratching my head and asking myself, isn't someone trying to get his homework done by CE?
  • nsiva007
    nsiva007
    Cool karthick... you brushed my conceptual clarity...! thanks anyway πŸ˜€

Siva πŸ˜€
  • d_vipul
    d_vipul
    nsiva007 gives the right answer......

actually i forgot to give you the polarity.........

the current through 2 ohm resistance will be 0 Amp for same polarity and 2 Amp for opposite polarity........

EASY ANALYSIS METHOD:

Just transform the current source and resistance into voltage source and resistance in series......
    You will get everything...........

This is a logical question no need to apply THEOREMS........

If you are not satisfied with the answer just do a practical........

Some micro ampere current will flow through the resistance due to the uneven voltages.........

Thanks for your replies.......
    Hope this will help you to recover basic knowledge......
    will back again with such questions........
    Take Care..........

Regards,
    VIPUL
  • nsiva007
    nsiva007
    Oh...! Cool that you followed the thread.. And hurrayπŸ˜€ i got it right..! But anyway i learnt something from both of you guys...!!
  • d_vipul
    d_vipul
    Thanks dude......

actually I was out of town and was busy in my schedule thats why late to reply........

Sorry for that........

Regards,
    VIPUL
  • nsiva007
    nsiva007
    Neva mind dude πŸ˜€

Regards,
    Shiva.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi friends, We all know that CPU speed is used recognize/calculate the processes per second at the faster rate and BUS speed is used to recognize/calculate the rate of data...
I have a question which is asked many times in any interviews. Microprocessors memory is fixed or variable ?
Hello, I have planned to do a project on embedded systems... It's something which I've never tried out earlier... But I've to even present it in a college exhibition.. the...
would someone please help me what type of robot should i work on...in leisure.... autonomous robot??and how??πŸ˜•
For a pressure gauge mounted vertically on a horizontal pipeline, the flow of the fluid in the pipe will tend to be in the horizontal direction since that is the...