Water Heater Case Study?

The bellow is a case study!

About 13 years ago, I was working as a technical engineer with a subsidiary company of Wembly Industries.

One day, I received a call from Mr. Chai of AVC engineering, asking me to quote on fabrication of 4 units of stainless steel water heater.

These water heaters are to be installed at one of the offshore platform.

Based on the specs, I quoted a price of RM 200,000/unit. The estimation is based on SS316 materials. Delivery shall be made 3 months after awards of project.

Mr. Chai like my quotation. So the project was awarded to my company!

I was very happy. I got my first project!!!

After 2 days, Mr. Chai called me and ask how much would be the price difference if the materials were changed from SS316 to SS316L.

I checked the price and advise that it will cost him an extra RM20,000/unit.

Mr. Chai is negotiating….

At the end (after almost 2 months) he agreed & asked me to start the fabrication.

After the called, I initiated the project. Order materials and starts the fabrication.

1 week after that, Mr. Chai called me again.

He asked me when can I deliver the water heater. I said it should be 3 months after he change the material from SS316 to SS316L.

He said, that will be too late. Client want the item in 6 weeks. Otherwise the helipad cant be installed!!

I told Mr. Chai, it is impossible to deliver the item in 6 weeks. Please tell your client.

The next day, Mr. Chai called me. He said the main client want to meet everybody in their office. It turned out there are 3 other companies involves;

Shell
Sime Sembawang
GE Engineering
AVC Engineering
Wembly Indusrties

Question: If you were me, what would you do?

Replies

• Sam
    Sam
    Some discrepancies

Dear Sir/ma'am,

My comments below may seem rude, i in now way mean to sound condescending. This is in context to the written paragraph -

Firstly - there are 5 companies in the list.

Secondly - if this was a real situation, why didnt you mention it to Mr. Chai when he wanted to changed from SS316 to SS316L that it would take 3 months from the DATE OF PO GENERATION to deliver the heaters. If Mr. Chai was aware of this and was negotiating for 2 months over the change of the material - the project should have been halted then and there.

As i assume, some money must have been paid to your company and hence the company decided to go on with the manufacturing, ELSE you didnt pass on this 2 MONTH NEGOTIATION DELAY with Mr. Chai to the management of your manufacturing firm. In either case - Manufacturing of the product would start with a committment on paper. This written contract is leagally bound between the 2 parties and Change of Control attracts a penalty from the issuing party.

On the Whole - it seems there was a serious communication gap and in the zest of closing your first business, the deliverables werent clearly mentioned in the Contract agreement resulting in such a lapse.

It is evident Mr. Chai went to the client and blamed your manufacturing firm for this lapse. If i were you - i would walk in to the meetign with a clear conscience. I would make the entire episode rather clear to the client . I would take all the correspondences (in print) to the meeting to ensure the client that the fault doesnt lie with our manufacturing firm.

A ceratin level of diplomacy coupled with humility and Firmness should help retain the client.

Best,
    Sam
  • thw022002
    thw022002
    Water heater Case!

Thanks Sam!

I will consider your ideas!

Thanks for giving me comment!
  • s_mankotia
    s_mankotia
    The bellow is a case study!

About 13 years ago, I was working as a technical engineer with a subsidiary company of Wembly Industries.

One day, I received a call from Mr. Chai of AVC engineering, asking me to quote on fabrication of 4 units of stainless steel water heater.
    just for the sake of knowledge (and because i like 2 meddle in other ppl business) if this thing happened 13 yrs ago then wat do u mean by
    i'll consider your ideas!!
  • thw022002
    thw022002
    because this is just one of my homework case study!

But it is a real case of my lecturer!
  • Sam
    Sam
    Lighten up guys ... here's another one for your grey cells

Common guys - lighten up. No use fighting...

Let me share another Case study for all of you -

You are driving a 40Lakh Merc and on a red light - some crazy kid tries to overtake you and rams into your car.

In a short and simple way - Describe your next course of action. Please keep it precise so i can give you a feedback.

Best,
    Sam

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This thread is dedicated to CEans with lot of free time 😁 Okay, tell us if you had a time machine to take you anywhere in time- 1. Where (in...
hey!! i hope evry1 knws d change in GRE pattern frm dis oct!! so how many of u r planning to prepone d idea of givin the GRE exam....i mean...
pals...... i dont know but people say two things... 1. Love is blind 2. Marriage is a eye opener ..... dont know.....and God knows how they can sync these sentances........
Any takers? Back in 1994-95, Yahoo, Lycos & Infoseek dominated the search market. Well, old folks are still making rounds while the new players (Google) emerged! On December 23, 2002...
Does anyone know of companies takin on apprentices, I have to move Jobs, :? n I'm looking for new company in Kent? Any suggestions?