Voltage regulator

Hi friends,

I have problem to produce 9V from 12V dc supply.. I have tried with 7809 Voltage regulator, but it produces a lot of heating even with heat sink..Is there any other method can be used to provide 9V from 12V? I know, we can use zener diode, but i'm not sure on that. Please help.Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Do you have measure your system's Current requirement?
    The voltage drop produces heat for the regulator..

P=VI.. V= 12-9 = 3Volt and that is not much problematic. now its depend on your system's Current consumption.
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    Pretty simple buddy!Since you are using a DC supply use a potential divider network. I trust you know how a resistive potential divider will work.😀
  • GP17
    GP17
    shreyasm89
    Pretty simple buddy!Since you are using a DC supply use a potential divider network. I trust you know how a resistive potential divider will work.😀
    Thanks for reply friend.....
  • GP17
    GP17
    godfather
    Do you have measure your system's Current requirement?
    The voltage drop produces heat for the regulator..

P=VI.. V= 12-9 = 3Volt and that is not much problematic. now its depend on your system's Current consumption.
    below 1amp.Sorry for late reply.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    when you are using potential divider network it may be dissipate some heat in Resistor. if there is below 1Amp current then i think its OK no need to be heated this much. are you sure that your current draw is less than 1Amp?
  • GP17
    GP17
    godfather
    when you are using potential divider network it may be dissipate some heat in Resistor. if there is below 1Amp current then i think its OK no need to be heated this much. are you sure that your current draw is less than 1Amp?
    Yes, brother. Currently I'm working on pt5101 regulator, which output is 1Amp.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    GP17
    Yes, brother. Currently I'm working on pt5101 regulator, which output is 1Amp.
    So, Your problem is now solved?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Whats up! I didn't join this forum with a bang, but lets get this started, I'm from Pune, currently pursuing Computer Engineering from University of Pune. I have a very...
I am with this forum from many days. I come to know about this forum from my college as there was notice regarding this forum. I'm currently doing BE in...
i am a first year electronics engineering student... and knows to do web designing.... anyone need any help?
How to integrate 4 bit external signals in Turbo C using RS-232 port???? Hey guys please tell me the program..... It is just a headache for me....... Please shoot this...
I know this a very bad idea, but I think the big google ads right in front and scrolling down to view the forum is bad. I suggest the ads...