Understanding The hardware : Processors (CPU)

Selecting the Processor is Cake-walk. But again Newbies will have trouble in choosing the proper CPU for their PC. Here's quick guide :

SPEED OF PROCESSOR :
You might've looked at specifications of certain processors. And first unit you look in specifications is X.XX GHz ,isn't it ? It determines the speed of the processors. So, it's simple logic- More the GHz, better & Faster the CPU.

INTEL OR AMD :
Both are two largest companies developing very nice processors. It depends upon you of which company you're fan of. I usually go for AMD processors ;cheaper & reliable .. Even though it gets hot pretty fast. But Intel is not a bad choice too, Intel's processors are sold much more than its opponent AMD. Again, it's matter of taste.

ARCHITECTURE :
Intel - Pentium, Dual Core, Core 2 Duo, Quad Core, Core i series. i Series are fastest among all in Intel architecture.
AMD - Sempron, Athlon, Phenom, FX Processors. FX series are beast ranging 6 to 8 cores processor, lovely.

64Bit/32Bit PROCESSORS :
64Bit processors can process more data than 32 Bit.
In 32Bit processors we cannot exceed 4GB RAM, while in 64Bit we can easilt extend RAM memory.

CORES, WHAT IS THIS SHIT ?
More the number of cores, more the processing capacity. Simple Shit 😉
While buying the Processor, First check the Speed of Processor & Then Number of Cores.
Processor with 3.4 GHz & Four cores will work a lot faster than 4 GHz Processor with Single/Dual Core.

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Dual Core vs Core2Duo: If there are two processor core on single die (chip) its dual core and Core2duo have two different dies with sharing same cache memory.

Cache : Memory used by processors to store latest operative data. more cache means faster calculation with less swapping of data from RAM hence faster speed of computer.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    did we forget about ARM processors? or they dont come in standalone computer format??? Theya re used extensively in ipads and other tablests though!
    EDIT: also, all kinds of various users dont really need all high end stuff. For example- extensive gamers need high proecessors , but a normal user dont really need that kind of processing capacity, hence the confusion about choosing right specs for a comp
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    durga
    did we forget about ARM processors? or they dont come in standalone computer format??? Theya re used extensively in ipads and other tablests though!
    EDIT: also, all kinds of various users dont really need all high end stuff. For example- extensive gamers need high proecessors , but a normal user dont really need that kind of processing capacity, hence the confusion about choosing right specs for a comp
    The applications requiring ARM processor cannot be generally "assembled" by the consumer. If you're not happy with the processor of the device, well you'll just have to choose the different one. So you cannot exactly choose which processor to buy in case of the embedded systems like the tablet or mobile.

You're correct about the requirements, but no body likes a slow system. Though in most of the cases, the reason for slow computer is lack of proper maintenance, yet I would say Core i3 2.3 Ghz should be the minimum in general purpose computer, while a quad core processor should be preferred.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i am a automobile engineering final year student from india madya pradesh gwalior and i am very intersted to discuss the any topic is to be related to the automobile...
The Firefox aficionados may quickly check their Firefox versions by heading over to 'Firefox -> Help -> About Firefox' option. If you're still stuck with FF 14, then it's time...
i m doing project on irregation for plants.in which i am going to use soil moistur sensor to detect water content..so i want to know more about it?how it works?which...
can we use a compressed air as a fuel in the any two or four wheeler vehicle with a great speed .....
Concept on capacitor: Can assume capacitor connected between inverting input and output is their simple logic here non inverting terminal connected to ground I case capacitor charge in positive direction...