Ubuntu 12.10 releasing on Oct. 18

Following are some notable changes from the last stable version of Ubuntu, 12.04.

Linux kernel 3.5.3
GNOME 3.5.90.
Python 3.0 and no longer include 2.0 by default.
The X.org stack is updated in Quantal Beta 1 to include the xserver 1.3
Previews in Unity
3D effects user interface
LibreOffice3.6.1
Update Manager renamed, streamlined

download beta 1 from..
#-Link-Snipped-# (Ubuntu Desktop and Server)
#-Link-Snipped-# (Ubuntu Cloud Server)
#-Link-Snipped-# (Ubuntu Netboot)
#-Link-Snipped-# (Ubuntu Core)
#-Link-Snipped-# (Kubuntu)
#-Link-Snipped-# (Kubuntu Active)
#-Link-Snipped-# (Lubuntu)
#-Link-Snipped-# (Edubuntu DVD)
#-Link-Snipped-# (Ubuntu Studio)

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's a great news, but I actually stopped using uBuntu after Canonical engineers decided to introduce the Unity interface. I was a fan of the older GUI. Unity makes me feel like I'm using a poor-man's version of Mac OSX interface. Trust me, I love uBuntu - but it's always struggled with the GUI.

Having been a long time Windows user, I got addicted to the Microsoft Office and continue to believe that no other productivity software even comes closer to what MS Office offers. No offence meant to the Libre Office fans; but it just doesn't cut it for me. I hold the opinion even after using the iWork suite from Apple. MS Office rules - love it or hate it.

Python can always be installed separately. But default installation was always welcome.

Curious to know whether there are any significant and noticeable updates in Genome 3.5.90. I no longer keep track of Genome project progress.
  • Harish Kotra
    Harish Kotra
    DAMN! Didn't know this earlier and installed 12.04 LTS today only 😔 Well will update later though.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    It is preferred that LTS versions are updated yearly ... like 11.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS to 13.04 LTS.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

It looks like iOS 6 has introduced a nasty bug with the Microsoft Exchange support in iOS6. A lot of users are reporting that after upgrading their iPhones and iPads...
I am Manoj Punde. I am pursuing BE from VIIT college. Recently I got placed in "Cybage" and "Persistent". My friend suggested me this website to be crazy engineer.
Hello all, I found this crazy comic strip about what would Munnabhai say when asked where does American President live. Check it out -
Just got this still from popular TV show 'Tarak Mehta Ka Oolta Chashma' - Jethalal and Daya Bhabhi debating with each other.
I believe we lack events in technical sections ... so I am stepping up for forum events. It goes as below : - Every sunday the forum event will take...