Torque Converter in Manual Transmission Vehicle

Torque Converter in Manual Transmission Vehicle

Question: I am a mechanical engineering third year student. I recently learned about automatic transmission systems and the Torque Converter.

I wish to know if the Torque Converter can be used in a Manual Transmission Vehicle? I think it will avoid many driving problems and make driving easy.

Do you think this is economic and efficient? Keen to know your thoughts.

Response:

A torque converter is a fluid coupling device used primarily in automatic transmissions to transfer and amplify the torque produced by the engine. It does allow for smoother gear changes and for the vehicle to be stationary while the engine is running. This indeed improves ease of driving, particularly in stop-and-go traffic.

However, integrating a torque converter into a manual transmission vehicle poses some difficulties and inefficiencies:

1. Contradictory Operations: Manual transmissions are designed to engage and disengage the engine and drivetrain via a clutch. This is in contrast to the torque converter operation, which never fully disconnects the engine from the transmission.

2. Efficiency Loss: Torque converters suffer from some efficiency loss because they use a fluid coupling, which is not as efficient as a direct mechanical connection. This loss is mitigated in modern automatic transmissions through the use of a lock-up clutch in the torque converter, but it still exists.

3. Complexity and Cost: Adding a torque converter to a manual transmission would increase the complexity of the vehicle, potentially leading to higher costs for production, maintenance, and repair. It also adds weight to the vehicle, which can decrease fuel efficiency.

4. Driving Experience: Manual transmissions are often chosen for their direct feedback and control, which a torque converter could dilute. The use of a torque converter could also negate the need for a clutch pedal, which would fundamentally change the driving experience of a manual transmission vehicle.

In general, the trend in transmission design has been towards dual-clutch transmissions and continuously variable transmissions, which offer the benefits of both manual and automatic transmissions.

These designs can provide the smoothness and ease of an automatic while still offering efficiency and performance.

Manual transmissions are increasingly being chosen for their driving experience rather than their efficiency or performance.

So while it might be theoretically possible to integrate a torque converter into a manual transmission, it is not necessarily economical or efficient.

It's also worth noting that doing so could change the nature of a manual transmission to the point where it's more akin to an automatic.

Replies

• Newmanite
    Newmanite
    Re: torque convertor in manual transmission

A torque converter delivers smooth control of an automatic gearbox through gears a clutch in a manual box disengages the drive to manually select gears.
  • GearHead
    GearHead
    Re: torque convertor in manual transmission

First it is "torque converter" not torque convertor.
    The idea seems feasible, providing there is some disengage mechanism so you can change gears; you might do some more research - Googleing "torque converter" yields 1.2 million sites among them,
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    and
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    But a torque converter seems a bit heavy; one might consider a centrifugal clutch if one can be made to disengage to change gears. But one thing a manual mechanical clutch has in its favor is that you can disengage at any speed, which to me, is a safety feature in the event there is a throttle hang up. Note there are periodic news reports of cars "going out of control" and taking out pedestrians and or store fronts, etc. I'd bet there has been very few such incidents involving manual transmissions.
  • khooper
    khooper
    The converter connection with the manual transmission also makes it possible to have close ratios with few gears, the opening being obtained by the converter. By improving starting possibilities, this makes it possible to have close transmission ratios, optimizing of the running of the engine for fuel consumption without having too many gears, just as in the case of a standard automatic transmission.
    dodge has been making a concept turbo diesel hybrid since 92 it looks like a stratus and gets like 80 -90 mpg
    their most recent model has integrated an automatic manual trans
    electronically operated clutch with minimal manual override controls
    gets better mileage than both manual and of course standard auto trans
    not really relative but cool
  • Mrm423
    Mrm423
    This May be interesting but I believe there is already similair systems in place, I believe the Bugatti (spelling?) veyron, has a similair system, from the clips I've seen and what I have read the 'Manual' mode has a standard shift pattern, i could be wrong however. However the interesting thing is it has Automatic and Manual modes.
    I, Myself will always prefer a clutch and standard "H" style shift pattern.
  • TheOldMan
    TheOldMan
    psbabu
    I am a mechanical engineering student. as i passed thru the automatic transmission , i came to know abt the torque convertor. will it be possible to fix a torque convertor in a manual transmission vehicle? It can avaoid many driving problems and also improves easiness in drivin. I want to know whether it is economic and efficient??? please reply !!!!
    CONGRATULATIONS! You just discovered something that was done in 1946![​IMG] Good job! Maybe next you'll discover Power Windows, Power Brakes, and automatic transmission!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    TheOldMan
    CONGRATULATIONS! You just discovered something that was done in 1946![​IMG] Good job! Maybe next you'll discover Power Windows, Power Brakes, and automatic transmission!
    😀 Let the students discover the new world.
  • TheOldMan
    TheOldMan
    The_Big_K
    😀 Let the students discover the new world.
    Ha well I was just surfing the internets and I just had to reply to this. It just needed a snappy reply. You know though, the kids right. The 1946 dodge is a pretty decent car.
  • Ritesh Patil
    Ritesh Patil
    My question is whether the "torque converter" will transmit enough power if starting on a steep slope. Plus how would the response of the velocity-time graph of my vehicle be.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Ritesh Patil
    My question is whether the "torque converter" will transmit enough power if starting on a steep slope. Plus how would the response of the velocity-time graph of my vehicle be.
    Torque converter is very handy in driving cars on steep or slope areas. I hadnt seen time torque graph but i had read velocity torque graph.
    In velocity torque graph, Torque decreases with increase in velocity, ie during low speed the torque converter transmitts max torque and as speed increases it reduce the torque transmission.
  • Ritesh Patil
    Ritesh Patil
    In that case it seems a torque converter will be the perfect setting for an offroad vehicle, given its ability to dampen the shocks being transmitted to the engine.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

getting to know you...getting to know all about you...=) Name: Megidaldi Engineering Trade: Civil Engineering Location: Cagayan de Oro, Philippines Occupation: Undergrad at Xavier University, hopefully to graduate on March...
Hi i need to simulate a circuit which has thin film transistors in it,..where can i find the spice model of tft??...its not available in da existing libraries...pls help me...
I wish to know the basic difference between the terms 'voltage' and 'current' used in electrical engineering. I'd appreciate any responses.
HI this is GAZI ARAFAT from BANGLADESH . I'm a student of Mechanical Engineering in Islamic University of Technology (iut-oic)
Name: Shiva *Engineering Trade: Mechanical Engineer Location: Bangalore *Occupation: Working *Hobbies & Interests: Internet Browsing, *I joined CrazyEngineers because: I am Crazy Tooo...