Time to add more engineering discipline specific sections on CE?

Just wondering whether we should offer dedicated sections for more engineering disciplines? For example, there are a lot of instrumetnation, product design engineers signed up on CE and they may not find any place to post their discussions. Awaiting your responses!

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The first cabinet of India had just PM and thirteen others ministers. Did the job more effectively in my opinion. Proliferation of sub specialities (in medicine, these tend to be called Super specialities) only dilutes content. Can we not consider doing what you did for civil engineering. Under that broad umbrella sub sections cater to specific areas.
  • Prashant Munshi
    Prashant Munshi
    Engineering is a vast field. So many branches, subjects and disciplines; The pace of development in each of this is really astonishing. The purpose of this blog is to provide platform for exchange of knowledge, ideas and experience for all the engineers irrespective of their disciplines and hence as the need be we must obviously start the new sections. I don't think anybody would be averse to this idea. But I think each of the sections/disciplines should have its own group of moderators, having expertise in the respective fields to monitor the quality of contents.
  • Smriti Jha
    Smriti Jha
    I second that idea. Probably be more creative and add a little something for the freelancers as well? Many of us have side projects in our purses, independent of our engineering subjects. What better place to discuss them but here?
  • Smriti Jha
    Smriti Jha
    I'd like to take a leaf out of Reddit's architecture here. It features a lot of subsections, with the most active topics from all over Reddit making it to the front page. Individually, keeping an eye on every subsection is impossible for humor-seekers. Here, @bioramani's point comes into picture as not all subsections are buzzing with participation and some only have a new topic per 4 or 5 days but classification helps have an organized archive. If there's a pointer, or highlight on the front page, that'd compliment the managing of the new divisions.
  • Bionic
    Bionic
    I think creating a new subsection is a welcome developement.
    But the problem is whether its going to be active, am saying this is because some sections which are already existing is passive if you post there will be no reply and it takes days to update a new topic so creating a new subsection is ok by me but we must put hands together to make is functional, active and worthwile.
  • Uzoma Iheanacho
    Uzoma Iheanacho
    The_Big_K
    Just wondering whether we should offer dedicated sections for more engineering disciplines? For example, there are a lot of instrumetnation, product design engineers signed up on CE and they may not find any place to post their discussions. Awaiting your responses!
    Yeah I think it is timely.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    May I request our regular CEans to post their feedback here?
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    me too double Sir Bioramani and prashant. the idea is that forum should not to be too technically branched so that other branch students can also take part in the active participation's in the topics of other disciplines too.
  • Vignesh Raghav
    Vignesh Raghav
    Under Engineering we can have sub-sections ,so that content searching becomes easy .
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    But where should we accomodate the discussions related to instrumentation engineering or aeronautical engineering or say agricultural engineering? The 'Other Engineering Disciplines' section is almost empty unless someone from the staff contributes to them.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    What happens if a potential list of disciplines is put up for a poll?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    bioramani
    What happens if a potential list of disciplines is put up for a poll?
    That hasn't worked for us. The number of responses are too limited to really decide anything based on it. I just thought of getting feedback from our most active members so that we can think of keeping the new sections active.

I'm all game for creating sub-sections under the top level engineering domains. But then can someone help in finalizing the 'parent' engineering branches. So far we have :-

Electrical / Electronics Engineering
    Mechanical / Automobile Engineering
    Civil / Structural Engineering
    Chemical / Metallurgy Engineering

We need to have place for Aeronautical, Mechatronics, Biotech/Biomedical, Agricultural, Industrial, Instrumentation engineering and so on; right?
  • Vignesh Raghav
    Vignesh Raghav
    #-Link-Snipped-# , Guess if we start the engineering specific threads ,contents might get poured in , we have specific EEE,ECE,Mech,Civil,Chemical engg threads active ,since we dont have dedicated one for aeronautical ,mechatronics,industrial engg. we dont have enough contributions .Also you can add automotive engineering like aerospace engineering .
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Do we have enough CEans from those fields to answer/post the queries/answers; otherwise they would die. If we really need, How about having them as sub sections in Other Engineering Trades?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    We need to have place for Aeronautical, Mechatronics, Biotech/Biomedical, Agricultural, Industrial, Instrumentation engineering and so on; right?
    Biotech/ biomedical (at least the devices part) use a lot of chemical engineering as also metallurgy. So they can be a subset of that. Incidentally Metallurgy itself has now expanded as Materials Science, which includes ceramics, plastics and composites.

The most user friendly option is probably what you said in the beginning. List all separately. However, if that occupies too many pages we may have problems again.
    Knotty issue.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I have certain different opinion. Provide a generalized layout (that which is evolved from this discussion). And also let the members customize the various sections at any place on their will. The customized website design would only be available to that particular account.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Yahoo Answers has a drop down menu for each main category, which carries all sub categories. As soon the cursor is moved over the categories the corresponding menus drop down. WE can try some such to minimise clutter.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Vignesh Raghav
    Under Engineering we can have sub-sections ,so that content searching becomes easy .
    i think vignesh said it.

we can have the other fast developing branches of engineering under one main branch.

for example , under mechanical we can have automobile, mechatronics, production , aeronautical, etc...
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    I tend to agree with #-Link-Snipped-# for ease of browsing and finding information we should split the main discipline into sub-disciplines.
    This will also eliminate people asking the same questions that were asked 2 years ago because content will be easier to find. Mechanical is so broad. There is Manufacturing side and there is the Design side.
    Chemical can be split into Petroleum and Process Engineering.
    Under electrical you can have Instrumentation and Control.
    There is Petroleum and Process Engineering which we need. Maybe you can put these under chemical section.
    Basically, my view is that when you have hundreds of pages per thread it very difficult to browse.
    Detailed categorization will be more user friendly i believe.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    bioramani
    Yahoo Answers has a drop down menu for each main category, which carries all sub categories. As soon the cursor is moved over the categories the corresponding menus drop down. WE can try some such to minimise clutter.
    Not a bad idea at all
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    In my belief(strong belief) : More disciplines will always add more value.
  • Bionic
    Bionic
    Uzoma
    Yeah I think it is timely.
    uzoma watzup introduce yourself lets know one another better.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello everyone, I would like to know if it is possible to transmit a signal through air without having to use electromagnetic waves. And why are electromagnetic waves so commonly...
Mark Z announced today that you can now add that you’re an organ donor to your timeline, and share this your story about when, where or why you decided to...
After watching the Sherlock series on BBC; I searched a bit for the science of deduction and whether there are anyone existing theories that let you do the effective deduction....
The Verge's Paul Miller has vowed to leave the Internet for one full year and if things go right; forever! Miller pulled the plug on May 01, 2012 and won't...
Gmail today has announced an important feature: automatic email message translation. Google Translate product manager Jeff Chin announced the availability of the service through official blog post on Google blog....