The Ultimate Question

Hi,

Have you ever wondered, what is the purpose of our life? why the hell are we here at all?
I wonder why the universe exist, and whatever happens on earth is of any significance to anyone out there.
I wonder if existence of earth ,or the whole universe or the infinite no. of universe that there might be has any significance and/or purpose.

Maybe we are very special and THE CREATOR made the whole universe for us , or for us and few other living beings out there, or we all are the result of a side reaction that took place while creation of universe.

So if any answer to any of the above questions ever came to your mind(as weird as they maybe), share with everyone here.

it may be 'The Matrix' or something like 'we are in a dream(inception)' or maybe something like what is stated in BHAGVAD GITA.

Replies

• sahilmohindroo
    sahilmohindroo
    I will start of with one of my imaginations. Though it is hard to explain, i will try my best and hope you find it as amusing myself.
    I sometimes feel that there is an analogy between the universe and some reaction being carried out with bacteria in beaker. in later case a bacteria would feel exactly like us, not knowing what is he doing there what is the seemingly endless liquid surrounding him. similarly maybe someone tried to burst some rock in a lab(big bang), life was developed on some pieces of rock (like earth) that resulted from his experiment, and he may or may not be interested in us.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @sahil: Quite an interesting thread.

When we read about 'parallel universes', the ultimate question you posed here only starts to get more complex. When we start thinking about the center of the universe, it again leaves us with no answers. We have theories of universe being infinite. We have an interesting discussion on CE about the difference between infinite and undefined.

similarly maybe someone tried to burst some rock in a lab(big bang), life was developed on some pieces of rock (like earth) that resulted from his experiment, and he may or may not be interested in us.
    Weird thought. 😀 But then where is that 'someone'? Possible in another universe? ... ok so that leads us to universe within an universe?
  • vipandeep
    vipandeep
    Nice topic.

Its just sad that we can not know the answer to it. I start crying thinking too much. WHat is this big space? Who created the space and where? :.(
    If we somehow get out of this space, where will we be standing? I don't know if i can explain what is going through my mind.
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    Life is the greatest gift from God. It's the most exciting, true to life movie wherein you will never know what will happen in every minute, every hour and every day of your life and of course there is no replay.😀

What's the purpose of life?? You're the only one who knows why you exist here....
    For me, I think to help my family and other people, to enjoy the life God given to me and of course to be a Civil engineer and a living legacy😀

why the hell are we here at all?
    "No man is an Island."We are here to help each other in every problems that we may be facing in the future We cannot live in this planet just alone...Do you think it's just normal when you're the only one laughing or crying??? Your insane.😀Life is more beautiful when there's someone to lean on....
  • sahilmohindroo
    sahilmohindroo
    vipandeep
    Nice topic.

Its just sad that we can not know the answer to it. I start crying thinking too much. WHat is this big space? Who created the space and where? :.(
    If we somehow get out of this space, where will we be standing? I don't know if i can explain what is going through my mind.
    i feel exactly the same, and that is why i started this thread to know what others think about this.
  • sahilmohindroo
    sahilmohindroo
    @AbraKaDabra

i didn,t exactly wanted to say 'universe within universe'. I meant that what maybe a small, let's say 'reaction vessel' for the someone is what we think is an infinite universe. just like what may be a small beaker for us maybe an infinite space for a bacteria, who has no idea why he is there.
    And considering universe as infinite is just narrowing down our thinking/imagination.
    i mean there should be something beyond the universe.
  • sahilmohindroo
    sahilmohindroo
    @ maria flor

i dont disagree with you. what you have said is the best way to live, no doubt about that.

but my topic of discussion is that why in the first place god created this universe and sent us here.

to enjoy? and if so, that means our true place is somewhere else and god created this universe just solely for us to enjoy life and sent us here for sometime.

Please dont take any of above comments personally. i am just trying to be rational.
    And i dont disagree that there is a god and he looks after us , and he gave us this life to enjoy. Infact this is the most convincing answer to the question(What's the purpose of life?) i tried to put up here.
  • yanivx
    yanivx
    WOW!!!! a question that has been haunting human minds is given life again by sahil......Me you the rocks the animals the trees are made up of some basic elemets..... 119 elements known to us and many more still to be discovered......everything existing on the planet earth or anywhere in this universe will have a composition of these elements..... i am talking at a quantum level Compare our planetary system with a single atom......where sun = nucleus and our planets are like the electrons revolving around it continuously..... everything is in a continuous motion....I say every atom has life believe me i strongly feel so.... they behave like us tend to get attracted tend to get repelled and besides these protons and electrons..... they have some energy in them which tends to annihilate with time where do these electrons get energy from.... to rotate continuously why do our planets revolve around the sun why the reactions in the sun never tend to get over.....why is our core is hot till date....? Many questions are still to have an answer...... I am crazy are you.... 😁
  • sahilmohindroo
    sahilmohindroo
    @ yanivx
    nicely said!!! looking forward to more such replies.
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    God created this universe for us and only for us.He made it for the people,us whom He planned to create for His own glory. How good is God to create a beautiful and wonderful place where man could live in true prosperity!
    We are here on earth just for God. We are not just here for ourselves or for money, or for anything or anyone else. God created us just for Himself; for His pleasure and glory. God created us with the capacity to know Him, love Him and obey Him forever! Yes…forever! The Eternal God has given each of us an eternal soul. It is God's will that we have a deep and wonderful relationship with Him today, tomorrow and throughout eternity. It is for this reason that God created man in His own image. God gave man a mind (spirit), so that he could know God.God gave man a heart (emotions), so that he could love God.God gave man a will (freedom of choice), so that he could obey God.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Saying that we are special to God will be rude. He loves every living or nonliving being in Universe equally. God only gives us power( will) and strength to do things. It is for us what we do with it. Whether we waste it or use it effectively is our own choice.

If we go a little deeper in this thing then we will observe that Earth is nothing. It is not even a grain of sand on sea shore in this vast universe. So we are humble beings. Only be compassionate to everyone.

If we consider a scientific aspect of it then we will come to know that we are very far from knowing the truth of Origin of universe or God.

Aren't we curious whenever we read a book as to what will be in the end?
    I think sometimes remaining ignorant makes you happy. If we know everything then we will lose interest in life. Curiosity is essential. That is what God gave us. So remain grateful to him 😀

Can I ask you all a question?
    Tell me whether we will be happy if we know everything and all secrets of God?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    A small story to share with you. 😀

Once man asked God, "O God give me Money, prosperity and all happiness to enjoy life"

God replied, " O man, I have given you life to enjoy Money prosperity and all happiness."

How's that?
  • tech_vaibhav_ee
    tech_vaibhav_ee
    Hi,
    I would like to ask one simple thing. Why do you think that their is some "GOD" which has created us. Maybe God exist. But, Maybe "GOD" doesn't exist. Maybe the one who has created us is not a good man but an evil soul who has just created us for his amusement(Which explains the natural calamities).So, in that case devoting us to him will not help us but only harm. Maybe we are just the outcomes of some complex chemical reactions. Maybe, we don't exist at all. It is just a dream or an illusion of some higher being and as soon as he wakes up, we are gone.(just like "Inception"😉). Maybe it is just a game and we(by we I mean planet Earth) have been created to participate among many others(What should our aim in life be in such a case??😭)
    The point is how is it possible to believe something and feel so strongly about it when there is no basis to it. Either science will come up with a solution someday and eradicate the existance of the higher being (maybe "God" or "Devil" or some other mad scientist who has created us as a part of his experiments") or the higher being would have to show up and prove that he's there. So, its basically Science v/s XYZ. One of them will win one day and then maybe we'll get to know if their is really any meaning to our existance or not.
    Again, I would like to point out that I am not a non-believer in God. But I am also not a believer in him. I believe that our soul is our driving force. If god is the one who possess my soul then he drives me and if my soul is just chemical reactions then .....)
    Now what drives our soul is the ultimate question!!!
  • sahilmohindroo
    sahilmohindroo
    hi everyone,

@ maria flor
    for me if there is a god, GOD is the purest of souls, with no need or greed whatsoever. what you portrayed here seems to be a god who created some creature to obey him and love him for his pleasure, and that doesn't seem like GOD.
    and i would like to bring up, one more thing here, that the possibility of whatever you have written here being true is no more than that of any of the other weired ideas/theories that we have discussed here in this thread.

@ishutopre
    I think sometimes remaining ignorant makes you happy. If we know everything then we will lose interest in life. Curiosity is essential. That is what God gave us.
    awesome thought.
    i don't hope to find an answer here but i am just being curious to know.

@ tech_vaibhav_ee
    i second your opinion, as we may actually be in something like a matrix in which case creator of our world(and maybe even us) is evil.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The trouble with ChemEs (I am one too) is that we ask too many questions, most of which are unanswerable.
    As I mentioned in my own introduction this is precisely the question to which I am looking for an answer.

I am a Hindu. Yet almost an atheist. All different versions of God (of any gender) seem to be human constructs. It is curious that the last and eighteenth Hindu scripture - Brahmandapurana - describes a golden egg that hatched to release the universe. Uncannily like the Big Bang theory.

The Big Bang theory postulates a singularity that existed before time and space. This exploded to produce the expanding universe as we know it today. Was this singularity God? Each is welcome to her/his opinion.
    Big Bang Theory

The sounds of the Big Bang can still be heard.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

On earth (probably on some other planets in the universe as well) evolution led to the current state of living organisms.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

As of now, I go with Baghavan Ramana Maharishi's teachings.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Bioramani
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    bioramani
    The sounds of the Big Bang can still be heard.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Could you explain this a bit?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    AbraKaDabra
    Could you explain this a bit?
    The big bang did make a sound. However, at a frequency far below human hearing. The astronomy department of Virginia University took the frequencies and shifted them by a few thousand octaves to bring it within human ear frequencies. It is a fascinating concert.
    Bioramani
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    bioramani
    The big bang did make a sound. However, at a frequency far below human hearing. The astronomy department of Virginia University took the frequencies and shifted them by a few thousand octaves to bring it within human ear frequencies. It is a fascinating concert.
    Bioramani
    Whoa! I really didn't know about this. Thank you for the information. I will read more about this.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    tech_vaibhav_ee
    The point is how is it possible to believe something and feel so strongly about it when there is no basis to it. Either science will come up with a solution someday and eradicate the existance of the higher being (maybe "God" or "Devil" or some other mad scientist who has created us as a part of his experiments") or the higher being would have to show up and prove that he's there. So, its basically Science v/s XYZ. One of them will win one day and then maybe we'll get to know if their is really any meaning to our existance or not.
    Interesting points laid out by vaibhav.

Why did this discussion die out? This was a really brain-pricking thread. 😒
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    AbraKaDabra
    Why did this discussion die out? This was a really brain-pricking thread. 😒
    Probably because of that. We want to avoid uncomfortable pricks including (or more so) those of our own conscience. The trouble is that each religion has its own theory. The Hindu religion has a legion of them or None.
    I can't even say 'God Knows' because there may be none.
    Bioramani
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    EXACTLY!! Even I feel the same way when I start thinking about it. I feel stressed unable to find out the answer.
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    Also, has anyone come across such a situation like... You feel you were in the same situation before ( not sure of when ), including the position or the way you are sitting or standing. And you feel everything has happened the same way. I don't know how to explain but sorry if I am being stupid.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Have anyone seen the #-Link-Snipped-#??? It explains all!!! 😀
  • ritesh05
    ritesh05
    It does not explain all ,its just an assumption what is inflationary model than ? we have not found yet a combined theory which explain everything that why he named it as " theory of everything " because he himself not sure about it . there are many such question which are unsolved

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A team of mechanical engineers at National Taiwan University used NI LabVIEW and CompactRIO to built an energy-efficient leg-wheel hybrid mobile robot that can drive quickly and smoothly on flat...
Supermoon of 18th march isnt the cause of quake at japan We all know that earth’s only natural satellite, moon was very close (356,575 kilometres) to the earth on 18th...
THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: At an age when everything is going nano, two city-based engineering students are working on shrinking the applications of a computer to a hand-held mobile phone. The idea is...
MECHANICALLY-MINDED girls at Rugby High School have proved themselves top of the class after scooping a top national engineering prize. Bethan Dobson, Georgina Flower, Sarah Parsons, and Charlotte Porter, who...
ICoAC is an international conference organized by department of computer science and engineering to bring all the researchers and academicians together to discuss about the recent developments and researches in...