The Glamour Of IT Vs. Uncertainty Of Startups

I'm curious to know - what really would make people choose the uncertainty of the startups over the glamour of the IT industry; especially in country like India? What I see is that the Indian IT industry directly addresses the needs of the middle class - it offers them above average salary, clean and posh air-conditioned offices, on-sight opportunities so that you can make even more money and travel at the expense of your company's expenses, get some recognition in the society and mostly secure your life.

On the other hand - there is this startup world. Where everything needs to be put in place by people who're mixing days with nights, skipped lunches, no on-site trips, no certainty of income, no financial security, no social status (people won't really know if you tell them I work for versus, I work for Oracle), no one to tell you what tasks to do, no time to go to movies or hang out with friends.

Yet, there are people who chose the later over the former. Upon some thinking, I realized that there's this one thing that makes them do it - the hope of making it big and making a dent in the Universe.

But not many people want to make a dent in the Universe. Is there any way to make people choose the later over the former? Or it's something that you're born with?

Your views, please?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Some have great talents But these people have fear in them and avoid startups as they are not confident of their future

But the ones who decide to build their own company are as far as I am concerned the most brave of the lot.They have done what other's could not even dream about THEY HAVE TAKEN THE STEP ON THE WATER LEAVING THE BOAT OF SAFETY

This boldness driven confidence and motive is all it takes for a successful business.

I would say any starter needs BOLDNESS and CONFIDENCE in himself That will take him to great heights
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    Initially:
    Startup=Frustration
    IT= Fashion, Good Marriage, Dowry ( in some parts), chance of visiting US, iPad, Maruti

After 8 Years

Startup= 7 digit earning, around the world in 50 days, party, T-shirts and Holidays in Hawaii
    IT= A 3 BHK flat with 20 years loan to clear, 12 hours a day job, no family life and cursing your boss.

So genuine self believers go for start up.(IMO)
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I will give my view on studying people around me and that group includes myself as well.

People dont even think of startups and they join in software company. People need money all rite, so they will look for additional income. So a group of people are ready to invest but they are not ready to work.
    Here comes another interesting group of people who always think (just think) of doing something. Quitting job, starting something. But they keep on dreaming but doing nothing (my state😛)

The important reason why people dont move away is, they have a loan to pay and they have a steady income. They are scared that they lose their life style and they just dream and do nothing.

There are very few people, who actually start and do things.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Loan is one thing that makes many wannapreneurs never make the jump. This might be off-topic, but I really want to make CE a place where all wannapreneurs get to work on their dream projects while we take care of their EMIs & lifestyle. The fight is on!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I also would like to add one more point, It just needs a bit of courage to jump out and do something interesting. Since till the age of 26 or 27 you were working with your potential and achieved things.

So the only things that needs to be kept aside are you luxuries and what others think about you 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The question is about the strong will to give up on the luxuries for the uncertainties. Why do people really do that?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    People term in different ways with different views but finally it boils down to one thing,
    1. Fear of Failure

This covers everything!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    English-Scared
    People term in different ways with different views but finally it boils down to one thing,
    1. Fear of Failure

This covers everything!
    Not always. Some people just don't want to do anything that makes them change the routine. It may not be associated with fear of failure; but not many people have aspirations in first place.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    No Biggie, People have aspirations. I have seen people , been with people and my only aim in roaming with all kinds of people is to learn how people think and react. I dont know why but that became my purpose after looking at different people.

People have aspirations, (I am not talking only about Start-ups here) aspiration of all kinds and they just dont do anything for it because they fear of many things!

Honestly, I would say people are scared on what people judge them. They want to save their image , if a guy at the age of 26 having a good life people quote him to be a good person and a person who has achieved something. And that person dont want to lose that name. People live in false prestige, People live in false admiration.

They just dont want to lose all that stuff.

Now you may say that , If the person start something and makes it big he will get it again, but you know if he doesnt get it. He is scared that there is no one who can sympathize on him or love him or admire him.

But , I say why do we care on what others thing. But most people dont!

I think I went a bit off topic!! I am sorry!! 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You're perfectly on topic. I know several people who don't want to achieve anything and are incredibly happy and proud of their routine. They want to get up late in the morning, get ready, go to office/college, come back home, try weekend movies, attend birthday parties and so on. They don't have aspirations that will make them break their routine and try something that requires more discipline, courage, attitude etc.

I know several people who don't want promotions in job, more money, more power, more anything - which I think is quite normal. I've seen many people have this attitude - that they want to enjoy life and die soon; because there is no point in living beyond 50 or 60 years of age. It was bit shocking for me at first, but then found out that they basically don't have anything that would excite them to 'do something' better either for themselves or for the society.

I think it's pretty normal.
  • Bashiruddin Naik
    Bashiruddin Naik
    Big_K you hold the very good Point.

Let the fire begins..!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    You put up the words so well which explains the people I have seen these days. Sadly, most of the people I hang out with are of the same type.
    I always feel alienated in their topics of love, family, marriage, s**,money ( someone should earn, not exactly they should), hype, boys (good looking), girls (good looking), food etc etc..

First question from them is always, Hey how am I looking today? , Am I looking fat?😲 , How is that girl/guy looking today?

You know I am hanging around with them today 😲 ..

I always feel alienated and you know my inactivity of my brain is because I was trying (Very very hard) to explain them and get the comments like less confident, no friends, anti-social and many more.

Finally, I decided to stop explaining them.
  • Shalini051
    Shalini051
    Hi...
    I was just going through this discussion(interesting) and got stuck. Something in my mind I would like to share here..😀

There are such normal categories(as Big_k says), who don't have aspirations in their life to do something large enough to matter. However, the ambitious ones are also there who leads a competitive life and enjoys their life altogether. Can't a person with fire attitude hang out with friends? If a person is highly ambitious, it doesn't mean that he doesn't bother about looks,love and family life.

I think it just depends on an individual.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : We shouldn't be thinking extremes. Working for startup does mean you sacrifice a lot, but doesn't mean that you lock yourself in your small office day & night. I've seen many startup guys enjoy life more than everyone else - work hard (which is joy) and party hard. There is no rule that says entrepreneurs must sacrifice everything and be a serious, unfunny, unloving person. I've in fact found the opposite - the real entrepreneur class is filled with enthusiasm, energy, passion.

Take Richard Branson - one of the most celebrated entrepreneur. He's out there having fun, building his business, making difference to the lives of people, breaking world records, flying in balloons, buying an island and so on.

When one gives up a first day first show movie, there's something more exciting that's hinting the entrepreneurs in their business.

Of course, it's an individual choice.
  • Shalini051
    Shalini051
    Exactly...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I meant that only. Some persons are there who want to go ahead and enjoy challenges. Their idea of happiness lies in doing things which take more courage, guts and endurance. They don't bother about other stuffs in life which is not relevant to them (which matters for normal categories).They like to indulge in healthy talks and creative lifestyle which gives a different meaning to life.

I completely agree with "English-scared" b'coz even I have friends who like to do gossiping about cricket,colleagues,guys,girls....but they don't initiate anything healthy which gives a different direction to life. I just wanted to share my view that a passionate and determinate person also does normal things but at the same time they know what their priorities are.

And yes, I must say there are less people who fall in this category(startups).
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The topic of the thread is what really makes people give up on the comforts of the job for the uncertainty of the startups. I mean, it doesn't look very rational and logical that you give up your monthly paycheck for totally uncertain way of living.

Startups is like a roller coaster ride, full of happy & scary movements. Every turn is unexpected and may make you think why you're in the coaster in the first place.

IT job is like a highway ride. There won't be many twists and turns but you may enjoy the scenery around you.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    IT has glamour, alright. But it has challenges too!! As long as I enjoy the challenges, I'll be in a salaried job. The day I get bored of it, I'll start up a company.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

AppFest is being hosted in Hyderabad between 13-15 December, 2012 by the Internet & Mobile Association of India. Over 600 app developers are expected to participate in the event. Apps...
We are all engineers of different colours. Presumably we all have some general engineering skills. Do we use these in our daily life around the house? All the enthusiastic bikers...
i think safe mode open only when computer doesn't start in normal condition...
How to prepare a pneumatic arm for an robot? i m trying to make a multipurpose robot with a pneumatic arm
Apologies for being a little irregular over the last two weeks. Just shifted to new job and new place so took some time setting things up. Normal service shall resume...