The Big Dilemma: Higher Studies (MS/M.Tech./M.E.) vs IT Job

Hello everyone,

I'm in my final year of B.Tech. CS now. I have been placed in TCS as of now and I also have a GATE score of 464 this year. I'm really confused as to whether I should do my higher studies ( now or ever?) or whether I should take up the job offer at TCS. As far as I know TCS is a very good company and people do some very interesting work there, but sometimes I feel that R&D is way more interesting than IT. And the road to work in a corporate R&D facility is to go for higher studies.

So I guess I need some advice from you guys. Do I do higher studies now (provided of course I get into some good institute like IISc.) or is it something that I can do later on?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Go for higher studies if you have the opportunity. I'd strongly recommend it over choosing an IT job. Indian IT industry is mostly services Industry and to the best of my knowledge, you won't find the work exciting if your interest is in R&D.

However, if you decide to take up the job; you can always go for higher studies later. In that case, I'd suggest minimum 2 years of work experience before you opt for higher studies.
  • indianapple
    indianapple
    Thanks K for your thoughts. Now my question is, after completing the Masters degree, when looking for jobs in R&D how much is it going to matter that I have no experience at all in any job after M.E., if say I go for higher studies immediately after completing my bachelors?

At the same time, after working for say 2 years in IT, how many people actually come back and study? A lot of people I've talked to say that I should do my higher studies now itself, if I'm planning to. But that brings me back to my 1st question.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    indianapple
    Thanks K for your thoughts. Now my question is, after completing the Masters degree, when looking for jobs in R&D how much is it going to matter that I have no experience at all in any job after M.E., if say I go for higher studies immediately after completing my bachelors?
    I'm assuming that you are deeply interested and passionate about a career in R&D. Unless your recruiters promise you that you'll be offered a job in R&D, you should not assume that you'll be put into R&D. As a matter of fact, I doubt whether services based companies have R&D departments. Even if they have, how effective they are. You should however look at Infosys as your potential recruiter. I'd recommend you to go through our Small Talk with Infy's Subbu Goparaju: #-Link-Snipped-#

I'd look for a college with a track record of placements before I join. Otherwise, looking for a job with a PG degree could be a bit difficult. However, with more degrees in your hand, your prospects of getting a job increase.

The decision to opt for higher education right after graduation is very well justified and I don't think any interviewer should have any problem with it.

indianapple
    At the same time, after working for say 2 years in IT, how many people actually come back and study? A lot of people I've talked to say that I should do my higher studies now itself, if I'm planning to. But that brings me back to my 1st question.
    If you want to do it, you will do it. No questions asked. If you are thinking of higher education because its a fashion these days, think again. Don't waste 2 precious years of your life. Instead, go for a job and earn as much as you can.

But if you are serious about acquiring more knowledge about your field of interest, you will come back to studies after 2 or 10 years in IT. Finally, its all about what you want. If you want it, you will do it no matter what.

Stop listening to people and start following your brain. It knows all the answers.

All the best. [​IMG]
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    very nice suggestion biggie ....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

why we generally prefer nand logic over nor,though both are universal gates??
Hey everyone, I've been registered on CE for a long time now. At first I just posted 2-3 posts just because I found out that this was a great place...
I need to join a summer training in north india after 6th semester. so pls guide me that where should I apply for it.
Persistent System's Official Press Release: Source: https://www.persistentsys.com/newpspl/pdf/PSL_IPO_PR.pdf Mumbai, March 15, 2010: Persistent Systems Limited (the “Company”) is tapping the capital market on March 17, 2010 (“Issue Opening Date”), with an...
Hi friends, I am a new member of this forum. I do not know where to post this question that is why I am posting it here. Actually I want...