Text Completion Sample Questions - 4 : ETS New GRE® Revised General Test

1. The parliamentary session degenerated into (i)____ with politicians (ii)____ each other and refusing to (iii)____.

[TABLE="class: tc"]
[TR]
[TD]Blank (i)
A. mayhem
B. obsolescence
C. authoritarianism
[/TD]
[TD]Blank (ii)
D. trading banter with
E. hurling invectives at
F. staring pointedly at [/TD]
[TD]Blank (iii)
G. escalate the situation
H. challenge the opposition
I. come to order [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Contrary to his reputation, the admiral was not a (i)_____. He (ii)____ his order to attack when he saw the white flag raised by the enemy sailors, and was actually relieved that he could bring an end to the (iii)____.

[TR]
[TD]Blank (i)
A. bloodthirsty man
B. pacifist
C. pedant
[/TD]
[TD]Blank (ii)
D. countermanded
E. reiterated
F. commandeered [/TD]
[TD]Blank (iii)
G. truce
H. hiatus
I. hostilities [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

3. In a fit of ____ she threw out the valuable statue simply because it had belonged to her ex-husband.
A. pique
B. goodwill
C. contrition
D. pedantry
E. prudence

4. Many 17th century buildings that are still in existence have been so (i)____ by successive owners that the original layout is no longer (ii)____ beneath the sometimes much-needed, but usually (iii)____ attempts to personalize or improve.

[TR]
[TD]Blank (i)
A. preserved
B. transmogrified
C. decimated [/TD]
[TD]Blank (ii)
D. discernible
E. extant
F. enshrouded [/TD]
[TD]Blank (iii)
G. adept
H. grotesque
I. tasteful [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

5. Since ancient times sculpture has been considered the prerogative of men; women sculptors have, until recently, consistently met with (i)____, or even (ii)____.

[TR]
[TD]Blank (i)
A. discouragement
B. vilification
C. concern
[/TD]
[TD]Blank (ii)
D. ridicule
E. approbation
F. tolerance [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

(i)____ at this time would be inadvisable; we have not yet accumulated sufficient expertise to warrant anything other than a (ii)____ approach.

[TR]
[TD]Blank (i)
A. Circuitous proceedings
B. Vacillation
C. Precipitate action
[/TD]
[TD]Blank (ii)
D. decisive
E. direct
F. cautious [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

I cannot conclude this preface without ____ that an early and untimely death should have prevented Persius from giving a more finished appearance to his works.
A. rejoicing
B. lamenting
C. affirming
D. commenting
E. mentioning

8. Harding was unable to (i)____ the results of the survey; although entirely unexpected, the figures were obtained by a market research firm with an (ii)____ reputation.

[TR]
[TD]Blank (i)
A. believe
B. accept
C. discount
[/TD]
[TD]Blank (ii)
D. mediocre
E. unenviable
F. impeccable [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

9. The quantum theory was initially regarded as absurd, unnatural and ____ with common sense.

A. consanguineous
B. discernible
C. incompatible
D. decipherable
E. consistent

10. Do not be fooled by her (i)____ manner; her superficial (ii)____ belies her worldliness.

[TR]
[TD]Blank (i)
A. unsophisticated
B. gregarious
C. off-hand
[/TD]
[TD]Blank (ii)
D. proficiency
E. naiveté
F. seriousness [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Replies

• Reya
    Reya
    1.The parliamentary session degenerated into mayhem with politicians hurling invectives at each other and refusing to come to order.

2.Contrary to his reputation, the admiral was not a pacifist. He countermanded his order to attack when he saw the white flag raised by the enemy sailors, and was actually relieved that he could bring an end to the truce.

3.In a fit of pique she threw out the valuable statue simply because it had belonged to her ex-husband.

4.Many 17th century buildings that are still in existence have been so decimated by successive owners that the original layout is no longer enshrouded beneath the sometimes much-needed, but usually grotesque attempts to personalize or improve.

5. Since ancient times sculpture has been considered the prerogative of men; women sculptors have, until recently, consistently met with discouragement, oreven ridicule.

6.Precipitate action at this time would be inadvisable; we have not yet accumulated sufficient expertise to warrant anything other than a cautious approach.

7.I cannot conclude this preface without lamenting that an early and untimely death should have prevented Persius from giving a more finished appearance to his works.

8.Harding was unable to discount the results of the survey; although entirely unexpected, the figures were obtained by a market research firm with an impeccable reputation.

9.The quantum theory was initially regarded as absurd, unnatural and consistent with common sense.

10.Do not be fooled by her unsophisticated manner; her superficial naivete belies her worldliness.
  • gretaker
    gretaker
    Try :

1. a e i
    2. a d i
    3. a
    4 b d h
    5. a d
    6. c f
    7. e
    8. a e
    9. c
    10. a e
  • shihan
    shihan
    plz give the answer
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The correct answers are:

1. A E I
    2. A D I
    3. A
    4. B D H
    5. A D
    6. C F
    7. B
    8. C F
    9. C
    10. A E

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Adding hyperlinks to Google forms is a needed feature. I have been searching on how to add links to Google docs, but it seems we can only add it in...
Karbonn Mobiles is one of the India's leading budget-friendly phone makers. The company has recently launched the Karbonn A1 - the budget android mobile. The price of Karbonn A1 is...
TRACE is an event of Rajeev Gandhi Memorial College of Engineering by Department of Civil Engineering on 27 August 2011. [h=3]THEMES FOR PAPER PRESENTATION:[/h] Structural, Materials and construction Engineering Environmental...
Here's a new final year computer science, IT engineering project idea: A Webcam based credit card reader. I'm quite sure this hasn't been picked up by engineering students before (at...
Fornya 2011 is a National Level Technical Symposium organized by Velammal Engineering College on 6th Aug 2011. The events are: Paper Presentation Pro-Nitro Racing Explorer Decathlon Treasure Hunt CAD Modeling...