Final Year CS Project: Webcam Based Credit Card Reader

Here's a new final year computer science, IT engineering project idea: A Webcam based credit card reader. I'm quite sure this hasn't been picked up by engineering students before (at least in your college 😀 ) so you've an opportunity to do something 'new'. The idea is to develop a webcam software that will be able to get the inputs from the webcam when the user holds his/her credit card in front of the cam. This idea could be incredibly useful in online payments systems!

There would be several challenges in this project: -

1. Maintaining the security of the credit card information.
2. Making sure that the software works with majority of webcams with various resolutions - VGA to HD
3. Interfacing the webcam with the software and related ecommerce websites.

So, there you go - you have the basic idea and you're free to develop it. If you need more information or want to expand this idea, feel free to ask your questions in this discussion thread 😀

Replies

• Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    Dear K, I am reposting this into my thread creative crazy ideas, with more elaboration
  • sreshta
    sreshta
    can v develop this with java?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sreshta
    can v develop this with java?
    Yes you can.
  • Sherine scaria
    Sherine scaria
    can we develop with any other language?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Sherine scaria
    can we develop with any other language?
    Not sure. The choice of language depends upon several factors. What language are you planning to use?
  • Krishnadhaval Mehta
    Krishnadhaval Mehta
    what will be the algorithm to design this in java?
  • Akshay Hakare
    Akshay Hakare
    how could we read the credit card number by using webcam??
  • Piniki endurance enemor
    Piniki endurance enemor
    Please I need an idea of how to make this project on Webcam based credit reader with recognition and what's are d implementation to it tan u
    Piniki endurance enemor
    I really want to work on this project I need ur help
    Piniki endurance enemor
    Please I need an idea of how to make this project on Webcam based credit reader with recognition and what's are d implementation to it tank u
  • ashwini thakare
    ashwini thakare

Can i do this using machine learning in python language.which algorithm will be better to implement it.I decided to use pca n svm .

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Fornya 2011 is a National Level Technical Symposium organized by Velammal Engineering College on 6th Aug 2011. The events are: Paper Presentation Pro-Nitro Racing Explorer Decathlon Treasure Hunt CAD Modeling...
Virgin mobile is testing the fastest Internet connection in the world - DOCSIS2-powered 1.5 Gbps network. The speed beats Google's 1Gbps network in the Kansas city. The complete press release...
This year brings us, yet again, to the annual NIT Jalandhar Tech Fest, an opportunity for students all over the country from a diversity of fields to unite and celebrate...
SURGE 2K11 is the Annual Techno-management event powered by the Department of Electrical & Electronics engineering, Velammal Engineering College. Events in the fest: Papyrus Exotica - Paper Presentation Robotics -...
Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam has organized Virnichi 11 - School of Engineering & Technology on 8th-10th Sept, 2011. Technical Events * Techyon * Parignan * Vindati * Bio-Treasure * E-Root...