TES hvac systems

Thermal Energy Storage (TES) System, or ice banking, is a technology which shifts electric load to off-peak hours, which will not only significantly lower energy and demand charges during the air conditioning season, but can also lower total energy usage (kWh) as well.

When demand for electricity is low (at night) and less expensive to purchase, conventional chillers or industrial-grade ice-making units produce and store cold water or ice. This stored coolness is then used for space conditioning during hot afternoon hours, using only circulating pumps and fan energy in the process.

Thermal energy storage (TES) systems chill storage media such as water, ice, or phase-change materials. Operating strategies are generally classified as either full storage or partial storage, referring to the amount of cooling load transferred from on peak to off-peak.

TES systems are applicable in most commercial and industrial facilities, but certain criteria must be met for economic feasibility. Capital costs of TES depend on the economy of scales. If carefully designed for new facility significant first cost operating benefits could be achieved.

A TES system can be appropriate when

• Maximum cooling load significantly higher than average load
  • High demand charges, and a significant differential between on-peak and off-peak rates
  • Appropriate where chiller capacity is needed for an existing system, or where back-up or redundant cooling capacity is desirable or where electrical infrastructure is inadequate to match demands
TES systems may also reduce energy consumption, depending on site-specific design, notably where chillers can be operated at full load during the night. Favorable nighttime operation and lowering the chilled water temperatures and cold air distribution can achieve significant savings achieved in pumps and fans operations. Number of other design options can make TES systems more energy efficient than non-storage systems.

Replies

• sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Thats a good explanation but TES units require lot of maintenance and had to meet many environmental norms!!!
  • gohm
    gohm
    True, however none of that is really that difficult and is definately offset by the energy savings. The units we designed in Hawaii did not have to adhere to environmental code regulations much more than standard large pak rooftop units.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    sure, In India, theres always complaint of bad odour coming our,and in extreme heat it sometimes overload!!!
  • gohm
    gohm
    Sounds like the O&M is not being properly administered. Hawaii is equally hot and humid. With proper PM work it chugs along nicely.
  • nazif
    nazif
    Can somebody help me with the design criteria and specifications for selecting a TES?
  • gohm
    gohm
    Sure, what specifically are your questions or concerns with TES systems?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Fellas, Can we the Crazy Engineers community can think of the way to avoid the global warming. All the suggestions from CE fellas are welcomed and help the world in...
plz some bady help me i doing my Bsc project on Wimax and i have module on ns-2 this WiMAX Module for ns-2 Simulator is post on this page https://ndsl.csie.cgu.edu.tw/wimax_ns2.php...
:smile: Wht material can i use to catch the signal. copper wire or metal, etc .
does anybody has any data about using CS spiral welded pipes for oxygen service? specially for pressurized up to 10 bar.
hello! i have to select among the following three options for my paid compulsory summer training in my college: 1. LAMP(Linux,Apache server, MySQL,php) 2. .net 3. Linux- shell scripting I...