Systems Engineering and Design!

hey fellow crazy engineering members,

I am doing a systems design and engineering course at university at the moment and we are asked to reverse engineer an electronic circuit. The circuit is given but we are supposed to reverse engineer back to the mission statement which is describing the circuit in terms of what it fundamentally is.

I really require help in terms of what the circuit is in terms of what it represents? Regulator, rectifier etc etc.

I need to describe it in terms of its function, operations and specs. If someone can guide me through what it really represents and have a quick read of the first page which tells you what to do. That will be a real saviour since I dont really know what's going on at the moment.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Hi Nav,

I believe you are supposed to reengineer the schematic from a given circuit.
    If it is fairly simple electronics circuit, you could just start drawing the various components as symbols on the paper.

If it is a more complex one, you might want to refer this video -

• Nav Phokela
    Nav Phokela
    thanks ankita 😀
    if you know of any books or any other piece of information of how re-engineering works or looks like than that will be very helpful. the video is very good. But i think it focuses more on re-engineering then reverse engineering.
    I am doing this as systems engineering design course in australia. I believe your discipline is computer science right. If you have any followers who have an electronics/electrical engineering background could you please refer them to this post.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Is it not too late for March 24?

I am not an electronics person. To me it looks like a heater control circuit. The 741 opamp appears to control the gate firing angle of the triac depending on the setting of the potentiometer RV1. It may be just an electronically controlled continuously variable heater supply. The rest of the gates may be to regulate the firing angle at the set point.
  • Nav Phokela
    Nav Phokela
    sorry sir the due date has actually changed.
    so sir do you believe it may be some of sort thermostat that is controlling temperature ?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I do not see a temperature sensor in any feedback loop. This may be just a power regulator to adjust the output power of the heater using phase angle control of the triac gate using a potentiometer.
    Since the control input is analog the out put of the 741 appears to be modified by the rest of the gate circuitry to generate the trigger pulse to the gate of the triac. The circuit may also ensure stable firing of the gate of the triac for each setting of the RV1 pot. The transistor BC 158 just enhances the power of the trigger pulse to ensure proper firing.

As I mentioned my knowledge of electronics is quite elementary. Others skilled in the area may help you better.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    By the way, what is TH1 in the circuit? If that is a thermal sensor then the circuit may function as a thermostat.
  • Nav Phokela
    Nav Phokela
    TH1 is a thermister sir
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    In that case the circuit will regulate the temperature of the heater.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello crazyengineers, I am a new member I just joined today. really excited about the forums. I have so many questions to ask and I think is a platform where...
OndaTechnology submitted a new project: Pitbull Wallet - Physical credit-card sized device for storing passwords and digital currency Think of it as keychain. But digital. And instead of being used...
The Chinese mobile manufacturer – ZTE has officially announced its much talked about flagship phablet at an event in Beijing. The device is truly a flagship grade with amazing specifications....
Nuclear energy is not just looked at as a future energy resource but it is also considered as the source of a problem that results from inefficient radioactive waste management....
Taiwanese smartphone manufacturer, HTC is in the news yet again for the new flagship - HTC One (M8), which is creating a lot of buzz in the tech world lately....