Switched To Fixed Width Layout

CEans with wider screens ๐Ÿ˜‰

You might have noticed that we've just switched to a fixed width layout for our forums. This is one big design related decision we've taken since the birth of CE. CE Forums have always been fluid width (that is, forum occupies all the available browser real estate). So why this change now?

Well, first of all - we need to make sure that CE browsing experience is uniform across all the browsers and screen sizes. Second, we've a fixed width layout on our blog and we're currently making sure that everything looks uniform throughout the site.

Fixed width is better for eyes!

Analytics shows that a large number of our visitors have wider monitors. On wider monitors, it's not a pleasing experience to read wider lines. Fixed width helps us solve that problem and it's much easier to read narrower, fixed-width blocks of text.

But that said, we're aware that fixed width does not suit everyone. We might just provide an option to our users to select fluid width on individual basis.

Replies

• Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Ok so this is the reason why the CE site suddenly took the fixed width layout when I refreshed yesterday.

And I thought again something wrong with my laptop. ๐Ÿ˜ก

Will have to come out of my comfort zone now. ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    CEan Praveen Kumar wrote on my profile the next moment we made the switch. Those with regular screen laptops/desktops won't even notice the change. Only wide-screen users will notice that there's a lot more extra space on the side. At least, it's a huge change for me (I'm on 27" Mac!).

As I said, this change was necessary because we are unifying our interface for blog and forum and for our upcoming additions on CE ๐Ÿ˜€ . Remember I said we're going to do a lot of things in 2012?
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    The_Big_K
    CEan Praveen Kumar wrote on my profile the next moment we made the switch. Those with regular screen laptops/desktops won't even notice the change. Only wide-screen users will notice that there's a lot more extra space on the side. At least, it's a huge change for me (I'm on 27" Mac!).

As I said, this change was necessary because we are unifying our interface for blog and forum and for our upcoming additions on CE ๐Ÿ˜€ . Remember I said we're going to do a lot of things in 2012?
    Yes I saw Praveen's reaction, mine was same too ๐Ÿ˜
    But I chose to blame it on my laptop, as I am blessed with technical problems. ๐Ÿ˜

Ofcourse, I remember. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    On a side note - isn't it more faster & comfortable to read the text on a fixed width layout?
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Faster yes. ๐Ÿ˜€

Comfortable, hmmmm! ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    I haven't noticed this because I'm accessing from a small screen ๐Ÿ˜”
    But I like the fixed width decision ๐Ÿ‘
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    From last couple of days surfing and moderating from my mobile only so haven't notice it. But yes it will be useful to access in office. Thanks for this step Biggie. ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hai, I AM DOING 2nd ELECTRICAL & ELECTRONICS ENGINEERING . I AM SO HAPPY TO JOIN IN THIS SITE. IT SO USEFUL FOR MY STUDIES
When the transformer is overloaded it makes a sound what is that sound and why?
Here's a project by an Israeli company that's come up with a design to generate power from the boats parked at the shore. The system makes use of the upward...
I've been mulling over the advantages and disadvantages of incorporating a startup company in USA. Delaware seems to be the most preferred location for incorporation in USA - given the...
Trance is a Technical symposium organized by SRKR Engineering College, Bhimavaram.โ€‹ After last year's egress. Trance is striking back with retribution, in its very first green avatar to redefine the...