When the transformer is overloaded it makes a sound what is that sound and why?

When the transformer is overloaded it makes a sound what is that sound and why?

Replies

• Reya
    Reya
    I think this is due to high current in transformer windings which causes the windings to vibrate and thus it produces the sound.

Correct me if i am wrong!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I miss my electrical engineering days (and knowledge as well 😨) but it could be because of the vibrations of the steel plates used in the core of the windings.
  • er.h3m4l
    er.h3m4l
    Biggie thats true shot...!!!
  • born_star16
    born_star16
    The_Big_K
    I miss my electrical engineering days (and knowledge as well 😨) but it could be because of the vibrations of the steel plates used in the core of the windings.
    Perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Marwano
    Marwano
    Thank u all guys
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    In transformers, the physical reaction force between primary and secondary windings when heavily loaded. If the secondary winding is open-circuited, there will be no current through it, and consequently no magneto-motive force produced by it. However, when the secondary is loaded, the winding generates an mmf, which becomes counteracted by a reflected mmf in the primary winding to prevent core flux levels from changing. These opposing mmf's generated between primary and secondary windings as a result of secondary current produce a repulsive, physical force between the windings which will tend to make them vibrate. Transformer designers have to consider these physical forces in the construction of the winding coils, to ensure there is adequate mechanical support to handle the stresses. Under heavy load conditions, though, these stresses may be great enough to cause audible noise to emanate from the transformer.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Here's a project by an Israeli company that's come up with a design to generate power from the boats parked at the shore. The system makes use of the upward...
I've been mulling over the advantages and disadvantages of incorporating a startup company in USA. Delaware seems to be the most preferred location for incorporation in USA - given the...
Trance is a Technical symposium organized by SRKR Engineering College, Bhimavaram.​ After last year's egress. Trance is striking back with retribution, in its very first green avatar to redefine the...
Phoenix 2012 is a Technical Festival organzied by GGDSD College, Chandigarh. Phoenix- as the name suggests is a mythical bird with a colorful plumage and a tail of gold and...
Karyon '12 is the annual Technical Festival organized by department of Biotechnology, DTU. Marching from strength to strength, Delhi College of Engineering, now DTU- occupies a premier position amongst various...