Suggest me Laptop or Desktop!

Hi guys!

I know previously English scared asked this question, but now am asking this question with respect to my use.

I will use atleast 6 hours a day now to browse the Internet. But in my final year, I will use more for my project work and all. Suggest me either a Laptop or Desktop? And I need an ultimate configuration.

But I want the best quality with all the features, irrespective of money. And I want to connect my scanner to it if I needed. I heard that, Laptops get hardware problems easily and its difficult to get mother board drivers to it.

And I read all the previously posted threads. But, I cant able to decide the best. Please suggest me with good configuration!

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    For 6 hours a day, I'd never recommend a laptop. Normally, there aren't any problems with the laptop hardware, motherboard drivers etc.

Laptop is only recommended if you want computing on the go. However, these days its more fashionable to carry a laptop. Its your call.

I personally am a fan of DELL systems and I have a laptop & Desktop by Dell - both are superb machines. I'd strongly recommend DELL Inspiron Desktop.

Overall, you should consider the following as minimum system requirement (please correct me if needed) -

1. 2 GB RAM
    2. 300+ GB HDD
    3. PENTIUM/AMD processor - both are equally good for home/office use.
    4. Screen: Bigger the better (for both laptop/desktop)
    5. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth - must for laptop.

I'd also recommend getting a branded computer than assembled one. Also go with original Operating system. If you want to save costs, go with uBuntu desktop operating system, it does everything.
    Does that answer your question?
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    addition to biggie's answer buy lappy with weight that you can carry

Because this the major problem i face with my HCL lappy

choose processor with speed minimum 2.01 ghz and latest i 7 series by intel

For Ram :3 Gb

Graphic card mostly available in latest laptops min 512 mb

and last I will recommend HP
  • Predictor
    Predictor
    sahithi pallavi
    Hi guys!
    I will use atleast 6 hours a day now to browse the Internet. But in my final year, I will use more for my project work and all. Suggest me either a Laptop or Desktop? And I need an ultimate configuration.

But I want the best quality with all the features, irrespective of money. And I want to connect my scanner to it if I needed. I heard that, Laptops get hardware problems easily and its difficult to get mother board drivers to it.
    I suggest avoiding the commodity boxes and buying from one of the boutiques, such as Custom Gaming & Workstation PC's | Velocity Micro.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Thank you so much Biggie, goyal and predictor for your replies.

I am going for Desktop..! And now preparing the configuration for it. I will post here soon.

And why dont you guys suggest me a good scanner cum printer ?? I wanna buy now.

Now I have Canon laser printer LBP 2900. Now I want a good printer cum scanner.

Please suggest me.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    For scanner - printer device; do check the price per page & cartridge price before you make a decision.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    The_Big_K
    For scanner - printer device; do check the price per page & cartridge price before you make a decision.
    Biggie, Which one will you suggest me without considering cost? HP or Canon or other?
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    And here is my proposal :

1) MONITER : DELL inspiron 21" inches LCD
    2) RAM : 6GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    3) HARD DISK : Western Digital 500 GB HDD
    4) PROCESSOR : AMD Athlon II X3 440
    5) MOTHER BOARD : Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
    6) DVD : Samsung 22X DVD-RW
    7) GRAPHICS CARD : Nvidia 2 GB
    8) NETWORKING : Gigabit Ethernet

And am searching about good webcam and sound system(headset and home theater).

Is it ok guys? Do all the components will set among them? Correct me if anything wrong!
    And all the components are good ones i think, what do you say?
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    what happend guys? No replies!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Find out if everything is compatible with one another!!

And 6 GB RAM and 2 GB graphic card what you want to do with that?

Please put the price too! such that it will help me!

But I recommend 2 GB RAM will do everything , byt going for 6GB its just waste of money!
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    English-Scared
    And 6 GB RAM and 2 GB graphic card what you want to do with that?
    My brother wants to play games mostly! So, its his decision to have that much of RAM and that graphic card. He is saying that this graphic card will support all the games.

Please put the price too! such that it will help me!
    Now, I dont know the price ES. Just am preparing the configuration to buy. Price will be known only if I went to the dealer.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Even then , 4 GB + 512MB of Graphic card will do!!

People I have a question , is DDR3 is compatible with the mother board specified here?
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    I am saying that only ES! I think 4 GB is more for home use. But my brother is not listening, he just want better than the best.

People I have a question , is DDR3 is compatible with the mother board specified here?
    My questions is also the same guys!
    Please help me.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    guys! finally this is my proposal, given to my dad.

2) RAM : 6GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM [OR] DDR2
    9) OPERATION SYSTEM : ORIGINAL WINDOWS 7 OS.
    9) WEBCAM : Hercules Dualpix HD – High Definition Webcam.
    10) HEADSET : Creative Multi Head Phone with mike.
    11) SOUND SYSTEM : CREATIVE 5.1 Home Theater With F.M.
    12) PRINTER : Printer Inkjet Multi Function HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless.

Please do correct me if anything seems wrong...!
  • lal
    lal
    This is great config. You are, sure one leap ahead!
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Thank you lal!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    6 GB RAM! Oh Lord!

Awesome!
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    The_Big_K
    6 GB RAM! Oh Lord!

Awesome!
    yes Biggie! Have to see how that system will be?
    6 RAM makes too fast i think.

Guys,
    I think everything is compatible with one another! correct me if anything wrong?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Heya, regarding the motherboard, you should try selecting the Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H instead for using DDR3. The "T" was missing. I think last time I erroneously recommended ES's configuration that can't use DDR3.

However, if you find that DDR3 is still expensive compared to DD2 there (well, in Malaysia its still is), you can choose 6GB of DDR2 instead and stick to the
    Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H motherboard.

Great choice of processor, but you seem to aim for a high spec computer. If you need more speed, you can opt for the AMD Phenom II X4 955 😀
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Thanks for your information ash!
    Ok! I will go for DDR2 and the mother board as same.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    Well, Ive tried to give a good config here. It may fit your approx 50K budget too. try this set of config:

Monitor : Benq G2220 HD (approx INR 7600)- #-Link-Snipped-#
    --> a good full HD 22" LCD monitor. Recommended by many experts and users. Else get Dell 20" Full HD LCD for around INR 7200

Processor: AMD Phenom II X2 555BE
    --> 3.2Ghz, 2 Cores, 2x512Mb L2, 6Mb L3 cache. TDP of 80W. The best thing about this is that it can be unlocked to get 2 extra cores for free. Yes, you can get a quad core for a price of two! But note that there's a chance of it unlocking the extra two cores. Though majority of 550 and 555 users have got atleast one core unlocked. A proper combination of processor and motherboard, and a little luck will unlock it into a full running quad core. Also since you mentioned that your bro is a gaming enthusiast, he may try overclocking it in future. This processor is easily overclockable as it has an unlocked multiplier.

Motherboard: MSI 785G-ES3 + above processor = INR 10,500
    MSI GX G65 + above processor = INR 11,500
    Gigabyte MA78GMT UD2H + above processo = INR 10,500
    --> remember that a good processor + motherboard combo will help unlock the extra core. Unlocking of cores is extremely simple.
    Check this #-Link-Snipped-# for a comprehensive unlocking guide.

RAM : 2 GB Corsair DDR3 SDRAM 1333 Mhz. (INR 2900)
    or 2 GB Kingston DDR3 SDRAM 1333 Mhz (INR 2700)
    --> Do not go for DDR2. Manufacturers have decreased their production by a great margin which is the main reason for the price increase of these rams. Also, when we have a better tech in DDR3 then why go for older one? A year later it will probably become outdated like DDR(1) is today.

I would recommend Corsair as their service is the best when it comes to rams in India. You will get on spot replacements in case of any problem with them. Others will make you wait and that means no pc for those days.
    Get 2GB for now and add one more 2GB stick later.

Cabinet : Zebronics Bijli w/o SMPS (INR 1100)
    --> a decent and popular cabby. Upgrade to CM 330(INR 2200) if you want. It's got a better look.

PSU: Tagan 600W 80+ certified (INR 4050)
    or Corsair 550vx 80+ cetified (INR 5000)
    --> I would recommend getting a Corsair for their 5 yr warranty against Tagan's 2 yr. Though Tagan is also good and will do good if tight on budget. Other recommendations include Seasonics 600W and CM 650 extreme power.

Graphics card : Sapphire HD 5770 (INR 9800) or HD 5750 (INR 8300)
    --> DirectX 11 support, Shader model 5, 1Gb GDDR5 128bit. It will run all the present games and the one to come.

Hard disk : Seagate 7200.12 1 TB (INR 4300) or 500GB (INR 2300)
    --> Seagate disk of the series 7200.12 is a good one and their good warranty service is what made me suggest you this. WD alternative is also good.

Speakers: Altec Lansing 2.1 BXR1121 (INR 1100) or Altec Lansing 2.1 VS2421 (INR 2200)
    --> currently one of the best in market with respect to their competition.

DVD Drive : LG/Samsung Sata drive (INR 1100)
    --> Prefer Lg over Samsung. Samsung is notorious for its tray problems. It still hasn't come out of it. Make sure you are getting a Sata drive.

Mouse/Keyboard/Mouse Pad: according to your choice (INR 1500)

At this point, considering you went with the motherboard + processor combo of around INR 10,500, Zebronics Bijli cabby, Tagan 600W PSU, HD 5750 gfx card, 1 TB HDD, 2GB Corsair RAM, Altec Lansing 2.1 BXR1121... the total comes to around 42450 or ~42500.

As for printer/scanner/copier, I am using HP deskjet 4400 and it hasn't caused any problems for me. The scanning and printing quality is good. It cost me around INR 3500. It's a value for money item.

So adding this to above gets us to INR 46000. With 4000 remaining you can consider several options. You can look for free discount vouchers online and get a Win 7 OS for yourself at a good discount. Else if you plan continuing with your current OS then consider going for one(or two maybe)of these-a better motherboard, Corsair XMS3 2x2Gb(6400) DDR3 rams(these are high performance/gaming memory), the other Altec Lansing set or Corsair 550vx

If you can raise your budget a bit try considering these especially.
    Motherboard: Biostar TA790GX 128M- this really is a good motherboard preferred by many gaming/overclocking enthusiasts.

PSU: Get Corsair 550VX

Gfx Card: get HD 5770

Cabby: get CM330 if possible else Bijli will do

Speakers : upgrade to 5.1 system(prefer Altec Lansing) or Altec Lansing 2.1 VS2421 will do

OS.: Try out Ubuntu. U can do almost anything on it that you would have done in Windows(using Wine Emulator). Its free so it will save you a lot of money. It has good a good UI and after initial slugginess you will get used to it. And yea, 95% of the games work on it too so gaming should not be an issue here. All your softwares will also work. Better try out the open source alternatives. They will work flawlessly.

Everyone, please comment on these things. Let me know what went wrong. And Sahithi, tell me if this is satisfactory. Feel free to ask whys and ifs ;-)
    Hope this helps.

EDIT: I forgot about the headset that you wanted. A good headset will come for around 1500 INR and about same for a good webcam. Will add the brand and models later.
  • HImanshu_Sharma
    HImanshu_Sharma
    i think you must change your processor it will be intel core 2 quad 2.66..otherwise your wish..
  • HImanshu_Sharma
    HImanshu_Sharma
    refer to optimystic
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yes, the Phenom II X2 555BE is worth looking at. I had an eye to get the unlocked version (some people sell these after testing). Though as Ops said, its due to luck.. even if you manage to unlock, the extra cores may not be stable. Thats why you should buy it expecting the nominal performance of the 555BE, and unlocking it as an extra bonus.. unless you can find sellers who actually stress tested unlocked 555BE's cores with stability (usually with a software called Prime95).
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    if one buys an unlocked version then it will be costlier. 555be in stock condition gives decent performance. its easily overcloackable and will give big bangs for the money invested. the main thing is that it wont create bottlenecks whether you are playiing heavy games or doing some cpu intensive work.. Other than than q6600 os E8200 is a good option if interested in Intel. I would go buy AMD though. Its value for money!

stress testing 555be after unlocking is as easy as click and go. If anything goes wrong(suggestion a faulty unlocked core) then reset the bios and its back to stock condition. Moreover, its high success rate of unlocks is a plus point and a reason to go for it 😀
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    Hey pallavi my daddy is hardware dealer.He knows a lot about this.
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    sahithi pallavi
    And here is my proposal :

2) RAM : 6GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM

And am searching about good webcam and sound system(headset and home theater).

Is it ok guys? Do all the components will set among them? Correct me if anything wrong!
    And all the components are good ones i think, what do you say?
    Enough or you want some more.With these configuration you better buy desktop.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    dileep k
    Hey pallavi my daddy is hardware dealer.He knows a lot about this.
    Oh, Really! Then ask your dad about the configuration given by optimystix and me.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

write a program similar to mobile key system? Like say you want to send a message to someone then if you press 2 one times then press enter it will...
1. i want to know the basic process of transformer so that i can have a fair idea???/
Pardon my ignorance if there are awards for what I'm talking about. We have Oscars for movies, Grammy for music and now I'm thinking why aren't there any major awards...
I need help creating a Gui that can optimize traffic signal timings for a set of traffic lights at the intersection of two roads. The goal is to minimize the...
hi i'm student of EEE(2'nd year)😀, i would like to do some projects..i don't have any idea on which topic i can do ma project😕.. i don't have that much...