Study Says Video Gaming Leads To Language Learning In Group

Educational video games are now becoming the most acceptable form of an emerging alternative to primary education and para-learning methodologies. To Cornell Computer Scientists, the native “Crystallize”, a language learning educational game proves that a person learns the best in a group. Giving a very suitable example of Human-computer interaction, the team once again fixed a hit on the chart with their newly designed product.

Erik Andersen, assistant professor of computer science, with his students have envisioned a project where a video game helps one to learn an alien language by forcing some conditions upon the user/player. In the game, the payer object is sent on quests where he has to understand the target language in order to survive.

thank-you-different-languages

Mimicking a real-life scenario, as if a virtual simulation with a coating of gaming tools is customized to meet the requirements. In the prototype, Japanese is fixed as the new language which could be altered with any other as promised by the team. The possible actions of characters work as the symbolic representation of the language and a player could first try to relate with the gestures and learn from it.

According to the source, fulfilling a mission earns virtual money which directly helps the player to build up his confidence level. Although such language learning systems are prevalent in today’s market unnecessary concentration is poured upon grammar section which is not suitable if someone’s learning a language for the first time.

After reconfiguration, the game is set up to play among 48 players with each having one partner. The two-man team communicated using a chat window which helped them to understand any difficult instruction directed by the game controls. As reported, its specialized virtual reality version is currently under development and soon to be launched as an up gradation. The complete research was reported in 2016 ACM Conference on Human-Computer Interaction in San Jose, California.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In the past few days, I've read thousands (and I'm not exaggerating) of documents about various tools and technologies that become a part of various technology stacks commonly used. One...
I'm an electronics engineering students. seeking for possible thesis projects to be proposed for me to graduate.. please help me guide. thank you and GODBLESS
An interesting article on anatomical opposite terms. A wrong understanding can have major consequences for biomedical design. The Difference between Medial and Lateral, Proximal and Distal, and Superior and Inferior...
I am a fresher and want to know what would be the role of a mechanical fresher in the filed of pharma
hai...iam new to CRAZYENGINEERS... i applied for ISRO examination...let me know by any one of u to how to prepare for this examination...iam having less time...