Study by Vanderbilt University Neuro Scientists finds Quick Decisions can be Bad Decisions

The brain may be misled and end up delivering wrong decisions when rushed. A more deliberate pace seems to lead to better decisions. This appears to go against the popular concept of a dynamic 'Quick Gun Murugan'.

What do CEans feel about this study by neuroscientists of the Vanderbilt University?

Why Quick Thinking Leads to Bad Decisions

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Well We CEans Know the proverb "Haste makes Waste "

and the "Rest is Silent" as the Author says
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    A time to ponder is essential. What? Why? How? When? - are all part of this pondering time dilemma. Analysis of the topic can do good to any decision taken. This avoids the chance for remorse later on in life.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    anoopthefriend
    A time to ponder is essential. What? Why? How? When? - are all part of this pondering time dilemma. Analysis of the topic can do good to any decision taken. This avoids the chance for remorse later on in life.
    I agree as engineers we must make calculated decisions and sometimes take calculated risks, key word here 'calculated'. It is our responsibility to consider all variables.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I don't think quick decisions are bad decisions. In fact there aren't any good or bad decisions. It's the consequence that determines whether the decision turned out to be in our favor or not.

But there definitely is a rule worth following - "Do not take any decisions when you are in an elevated state of emotion". That is, if you are happy or excited or nervous or depressed or angry - the decision you will take is more likely to go wrong. This has happened to me several times and the best thing to do when you must take a decision is to calm down, take few minutes/hours/days 'off' and then take a decision. A calm and composed mind is your best friend - always.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can a battery be charged by more than one source, such as a couple of generators or solar panels ? what happens if a battery is overcharged ? does it...
Please tell me the suitable word for it? Eye Diagram is used to show .... at oscilloscope triggered at symbol timing.
This thread is inspired from another thread on CE. Some of the people in the world believe that the world will come to an end on December 21, 2012. If...
Is there anyway to manipulate .doc files using c++ ? Need some help here... 😒
hi i am brijendra singh rawat .i am persuing b.tech from himalayan institute of technology and management BKT, lucknow.