STMicroelectronics STA333IS - The Tiny Chip Offers 20W Audio Output!

STMicroelectronics has announced the STA333IS system-on-chip that measures just 2.57 mm x 3.24mm and yet delivers up to 2x20W of audio output! Incredible, isn't' it? The chip is the most power dense single-chip digital audio system available today and has become the part of ST's SoundTerminal family - known for advance process and chip-scale package technologies with digital audio IP such as FFX full flexible amplification.

slide

STA claims that the STA333IS is unique in the markets since ST is the only company to have IP aka Intellectual Property to combine advance digital signal processing and power circuitry on a single on-board chip. The operating voltages of the chip vary from 4.5 V to 18 V which makes it suitable for the battery-operated devices as well as in LCD/LED TV sets, docking stations and digital wireless speaker systems.

The chip also boast of the thermal efficiency & electromagnetic emissions. The tiny 8.3 sq.mm footprint allows for freedom to style the next generation of audio products. The company says that the STA333SML varient of the chip operates without external microcontroller and enables the designers to create digital amplifiers at the lowest costs. The key features of the chip are as follows-

Key Features
  • Wide-range supply voltage (4.5 V - 20 V)
  • 2 channels of ternary PWM (stereo mode)
  • 2 channels of 24-bit FFXâ„¢
  • 100 dB SNR and dynamic range
  • Selectable 32- to 192-kHz input sampling rates
  • Digital gain -80 dB to +48 dB in 0.5 dB steps
  • Software volume update
  • Individual channel and master gain/attenuation
  • Individual channel and master software and hardware mute
  • Independent channel volume bypass
  • Automatic zero-detect mute
  • Automatic invalid input detect mute
  • Short-circuit detection at startup (Out-Vcc, Out-Gnd, Out 1b-Out 2a)
  • 2-channel I2S input data interface
  • 2 Hz DC cut filter (input)
  • Input channel mapping
  • Automatic volume control for limiting maximum power
  • 96 kHz internal processing sampling rate, 24-bit precision
  • Advanced modes for AM interference frequency switching and noise suppression
  • Embedded thermal-overload and short-circuit protection
  • Video application: 576 * fSinput mode support
You may order these chips for $1 each with a minimum order of 1000 pieces. Check out more about these chips on the official website: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    The news Sounds good . Can it be used in mobile phones ? which enroutes to better music experience in the mobile platform.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Wide-range supply voltage (4.5 V - 20 V)
    CSK AUTO
    The news Sounds good . Can it be used in mobile phones ? which enroutes to better music experience in the mobile platform.
    I am not sure whether the mobile battery will support this cos of the voltage and current ratings
  • lal
    lal
    20W x 2 on mobile! Nop, not with the present batteries. That is a lot of power for a mobile phone.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

After reading countless reviews and experiencing one myself - it's clear that the trackpads on Windows machines absolutely suck and those on the Macbooks rock! Ask any of the Macbook...
After the release of Fedora 19 Schrodinger's Cat, Fedora team & community is working on next upcoming upgrade of Fedora 20. Recently in the mailing list, some of the Fedora...
how to get a job in automobile industry or automobile manufacturing side......like ashok leyland..,,Hero,,honda,,audi,,bmw,,etc,,........?
When i was doing my 8th semester, we had a paper like this, as an elective. i did not choose to study it though, because it appeared to be more...
Say hello to Remy - a machine learning system developed by engineering team at MIT that will generate TCP congestion-control algorithms that outperform those created by humans. Professor Hari Balakrishnan,...