special purpose registers

Special Purpose Registers
The special purpose registers are used by the CPU for temporary storage of data for calculations and other purposes.
Ex.:
MAR
MBR
IR
PC
Here, I just want to know about​
MAR,MBR,IR,PC in detail

Replies

• vinci
    vinci
    PC-Program counter ,points the next storage location(like pointers but not these are pointers)
    but I forgot the rest .you may take help of other CEians here
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    IR (Instruction Register) : is responsible for storing the instruction that is currently under execution.

PC (Program Counter) : is responsible for storing the address of the next instruction to be fetched.

MAR (Memory Address Register) : is responsible for storing the memory location of data. When the data is to be read by the program, it is fetched from MAR to memory data register and when data is to be written then the data is written from memory data register to MAR

I think its MDR not MBR. MDR explanation can be understood from the explanation of MBR above.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    Nick_Sharma
    I think its MDR not MBR. MDR explanation can be understood from the explanation of MBR above.
    #-Link-Snipped-#, I am sure, its MBR ONLY.

Nick_Sharma
    MDR explanation can be understood from the explanation of MBR above.
    cant get you
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    Hmmm Okay.I don't know what's MBR then.. May be someone else could answer
  • coolboy.napster
    coolboy.napster
    A Memory Buffer Register (MBR) is the register in a computer's processor, or central processing unit, CPU, that stores the data being
    transferred to and from the
    immediate access store. It
    acts as a buffer allowing the processor and memory units to act independently
    without being affected by
    minor differences in
    operation. A data item will
    be copied to the MBR ready
    for use at the next clock cycle, when it can be either
    used by the processor or
    stored in main memory. This register holds the
    contents of the memory
    which are to be transferred
    from memory to other
    components or vice versa. A word to be stored must be transferred to the MBR, from
    where it goes to the specific
    memory location, and the
    arithmetic data to be
    processed in the ALU first goes to MBR and then to
    accumulated register, and
    then it is processed in the
    ALU.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can any one tell what method ( other than Nitrogen freezing ) can be used to detect oil leakages in underground oil filled transmission lines of 132 KV?​
This is new Mitsubishi Pajero Sport which had been launched on 12th March and was priced Rs 23.53 lakh. The new pajero is ultimate sporty SUV which seems to be...
Hi guys and gals. I wanted to draw your attention to a crowd funding project which has been started by engineers for engineers. We have come up with an idea...
I'm using Google Chrome, when i open it this notification arises, ​after clicking more than 10 to 12 clicks it closes, is there any solution for this issue,​any one came...
Hello, I just found this forum and am hoping to get some ideas/assistance. I am a full time BMET student at Devry, and just started my senior project, which is...